Any Zappa fans? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Any Zappa fans?

His legacy is pretty damn huge.

Face it - Steve may have eventually gotten to where hes at today - but Frank brought him up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:31 PM

Re: Any Zappa fans?

<------<<< Huge Zappa fan!

Steve Vai and the dozens of former Zappa band members were lucky to have been chosen to perform or record in the studio with the master.

Vai has never hidden his gratitude and respect for Frank as others have done in the past.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Yep, I'm a Zappa fan. I have a large collection of his albums, most on the original labels. I keep those tucked away safely and listen to the reissues (CDs).
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 04:37 PM

I consider myself a recent Zappa convert, I'm just getting to know his leagcy. I have always been into 60s stuff (Stones, Hendrix, Doors) but my real musical memory only starts around 77. My musical collection largely reflects this.

Zappa is one particular area I want (need) to explore. Lately, I've been listening to "Anyway the wind Blows' containing such classics as 'Why Does it Hurt when I Pee?' 'Dead Girls of London' & 'City of Tiny Lights'.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 05:20 PM

I haven't heard as much Zappa as I'd like to, but what I've heard I've really enjoyed.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 06:46 PM

simply love it!

his sons are coming to norway to do a zappa-gig soon!

has anyone checked out the zappa-tribute dvd?

is it any good?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:57 PM

I've been listening to Zappa recently. I really like the Hot Rats album, great stuff. I've been trying to get the Grand Wazoo, but I can't find it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 PM

For sure! I've been listening to Zappa since high school.
I'd get stoned with a bunch of my mates and we'd all sit around listening to Zappa records.
Some of it is damn funny. I think Bobby Brown goes down and Jewish Princess are works of comedic genius.
The Baby Snakes DVD is tremendous. It's what all music DVD's should set as a precident.

There are loads of unreleased DVD's and bootleg recordings and what not on some torrent sites as well.
Well worth checking out!
Some of the live show DVD's are just mind-blowing stuff.
Tight, tight bands and great music.

The man was a genius.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:42 AM

"Some people, some people prefer cupcakes, while I myself prefer muffins..."

Zappa Rules. Can I say anything else?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Frank does this tune on "Guitar". My son got it for me for my b-day a couple of years back. GREAT double CD - live guitar instrumentals & solos - concert notes - what guitar was used for each song - cool pics - Frank playing a custom Strat with a Floyd, cigarette smoldering in the peghead - real fetish stuff. Vai's all over it. Anyway, theres a tune on it called "System of Edges". Just fast, melodic, hard bluesy playing. Perfect name for the song. Frank plays his SG on that one. GAWD DAMN!!! It'll give you a hard-on. He just nails it. Tone only Zappa could achieve. Just... BEAUTIFUL!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Frank was shredding before it was called shredding.

Last edited by yngvai; 07-03-2005 at 01:52 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 06:21 AM

love zappa.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:47 AM

Reviews: 34

My brother was a big Zappa fan, and he really got me into it. I wouldn't say I love everything he has done, some of it is just not that accessible, but then he has produced a huge body of work, so there is probably a track or two for everyone that they don't get.

I still listen to as much Zappa as I can. In fact the first time I really heard vai was on Zappa records in the late eighties. I never was really into the whole DLR, Whitesnake thing until I became much more of a Vai fan. I was totally blown away his playing (obviously), I thought that anyone who Zappa respected that much as a guitar player must be seriously good.

In fact that live video (does humour belong in music?) is still one of my favourite of all time.

I think he also discovered Alice Cooper. I could be wrong though.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm a Zappa fan too! He is my favorite musician ever!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

For rock musicians, playing with Frank Zappa is just like jazz musicians playing with Miles Davis!!!!

Zappa owns. I have 59 Zappa albums, which is almost all of them (might even be all of them I have never counted!).

Even if you don't like Zappa, everyone hear should make sure they hear the song "Titties 'N' Beer" off of Zappa in New York, it is truely hilarious. Be sure to get the full length version though which is 7:35 long (Terry Bozzio played the devil in that one!).

"Iíll give you two clues. let go of your pickle"
"What?"
"Let go of your pickle!"
"Iím not holding my pickle"
"Well, whoís holding your pickle then?"
"I donít know...sheís out in the audience... hey Dale, would you like to come up here and hold my pickle to satisfy this weird man out on the stage?"

Tags
frank zappa , miles davis , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode