Is anyone else trying the Legacy DVD home lessons - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Is anyone else trying the Legacy DVD home lessons

I bought into the Learn and Master Guitar program (~$150). I just started it. I'll post my thoughts and progress. Has anyone else tried it? Comments?

I got the program before my guitar so all I was able to do was watch the first 2 lessons. The picture quality is pretty good and Steve Krenz seems like a decent teacher so far. He speaks clearly and the video production quality looks good too. Cant wait to get going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Thumbs up Re: Is anyone else trying the Legacy DVD home lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs1820 View Post
I bought into the Learn and Master Guitar program (~$150). I just started it. I'll post my thoughts and progress. Has anyone else tried it? Comments?

I got the program before my guitar so all I was able to do was watch the first 2 lessons. The picture quality is pretty good and Steve Krenz seems like a decent teacher so far. He speaks clearly and the video production quality looks good too. Cant wait to get going.
I have this program. I bought it last spring/summer. I think its a great program. I'm new to guitar. I started with an acoustic (that my wife recovered from her parents' house), and made decent progress initially. However home projects (we were building a new house and renovating our old house) last year made it difficult to practice regularly. So my progress waned. I'm currently only on Session # 6 (out of 20), and I notice its starting to get hard.

I bought this packaged course as an alternative to paying for conventional lessons with an instructor, however I have since had a guy over a couple times for in-person instruction. The focus is differnet though. He's helping me learn songs with my electric (my RG20th). I've started with a few AC-DC songs and stuff like that. Now I'm kinda bouncing between stuff he's assigned me to practice on my electric, and my lessons/practice excercises from the Legacy course with my acoustic.

I know I'm way behind where I should be on progress due to other life priorities interferring, but my wife's taking off on a 6 month work assignment in London (UK) shortly, so I'll have lots of time to neglect chores so I can get back to PRACTICING while she's away.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm pleased with the course so far, and even ordered the extra bonus material they produced recently (another 10 DVDs for $50, for purchasers of the original course material). I'd be happy to compare notes with you as we go...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Re: Is anyone else trying the Legacy DVD home lessons

Once you learn the basics you will still want to find a good teacher. Stick with the course all the way through.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM

yea, then get the Doug Doppler DVD - cool !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

I tried this course for aoout 4 months. I progressed through the very basics modestly and then...Well, I can follow tab but read and play music at my level got too difficult. The Tab drops off the course after disc 2 or 3. I found myself opening the book and writing the note letters over the sheet music just to practice. Its a good course, excellent video and audio and how he shows you to make the note or chord is all done with a very good production value. I just wish he left my crutch in the lesson plan longer.

I've also picked up Doug Marks; Metal Method. It's a little more crude in the production value but his teaching method is more aimed at electric guitar. The production is limited compared to the legacy but I like Doug's lessons better. He teaches stuff that you enjoy playing and sums up sheet music like this: Did you ever go to a rock concert and see anyone reading sheet music? I'd like to learn music theory as I progress but right now I want to play. The faster I get to playing thru a full song the better. I'll go back and learn the "why's" later. Doug talks about note values and why's but doesnt obsess about you knowing them.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM

I haven't tried legacy but the best instructional DVD is yet to come out...Mark Tremonti's "The sound and the story" ...found it on fret12.com, looks like your best shot at getting everything you really need to improve..i'll have no life after its release thats for sure

Tags
doug doppler , mark tremonti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode