Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is anyone else trying the Legacy DVD home lessons

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  guitarchick22 
#1 ·
I bought into the Learn and Master Guitar program (~$150). I just started it. I'll post my thoughts and progress. Has anyone else tried it? Comments?

I got the program before my guitar so all I was able to do was watch the first 2 lessons. The picture quality is pretty good and Steve Krenz seems like a decent teacher so far. He speaks clearly and the video production quality looks good too. Cant wait to get going.

#2 ·
I bought into the Learn and Master Guitar program (~$150). I just started it. I'll post my thoughts and progress. Has anyone else tried it? Comments?

I got the program before my guitar so all I was able to do was watch the first 2 lessons. The picture quality is pretty good and Steve Krenz seems like a decent teacher so far. He speaks clearly and the video production quality looks good too. Cant wait to get going.
I have this program. I bought it last spring/summer. I think its a great program. I'm new to guitar. I started with an acoustic (that my wife recovered from her parents' house), and made decent progress initially. However home projects (we were building a new house and renovating our old house) last year made it difficult to practice regularly. So my progress waned. I'm currently only on Session # 6 (out of 20), and I notice its starting to get hard. :)

I bought this packaged course as an alternative to paying for conventional lessons with an instructor, however I have since had a guy over a couple times for in-person instruction. The focus is differnet though. He's helping me learn songs with my electric (my RG20th). I've started with a few AC-DC songs and stuff like that. Now I'm kinda bouncing between stuff he's assigned me to practice on my electric, and my lessons/practice excercises from the Legacy course with my acoustic.

I know I'm way behind where I should be on progress due to other life priorities interferring, but my wife's taking off on a 6 month work assignment in London (UK) shortly, so I'll have lots of time to neglect chores so I can get back to PRACTICING while she's away.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm pleased with the course so far, and even ordered the extra bonus material they produced recently (another 10 DVDs for $50, for purchasers of the original course material). I'd be happy to compare notes with you as we go...

#5 ·
I tried this course for aoout 4 months. I progressed through the very basics modestly and then...Well, I can follow tab but read and play music at my level got too difficult. The Tab drops off the course after disc 2 or 3. I found myself opening the book and writing the note letters over the sheet music just to practice. Its a good course, excellent video and audio and how he shows you to make the note or chord is all done with a very good production value. I just wish he left my crutch in the lesson plan longer.

I've also picked up Doug Marks; Metal Method. It's a little more crude in the production value but his teaching method is more aimed at electric guitar. The production is limited compared to the legacy but I like Doug's lessons better. He teaches stuff that you enjoy playing and sums up sheet music like this: Did you ever go to a rock concert and see anyone reading sheet music? I'd like to learn music theory as I progress but right now I want to play. The faster I get to playing thru a full song the better. I'll go back and learn the "why's" later. Doug talks about note values and why's but doesnt obsess about you knowing them.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.