Apple to Revolutionize the Record Industry? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Apple to Revolutionize the Record Industry?

Just maybe...

www.macminute.com:
Hilary Rosen, chairman and chief executive officer of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), said she believed Apple had "struck an industry-friendly balance" with its reported music service. It "has compatibility with a hardware product that is elegant and easy to use," said Rosen, who said she planned to attend Apple's special event later today. "The Apple system has the potential to do for music sales what the Walkman did for the cassette," she added.

We'll see today around 1pm (EST).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:49 AM

The walkman wasn't limited to 3% of computer owners, though. the real test will be when the windows version comes out. I hope it does well; this is where the industry should be going.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm watching the demo jobs is giving right now. Extremely impressive. Windows version will be out by the end of the year. 99 cents a song or $10 an album. Includes download of album artwork. 1 click downloads, built into iTunes... wow, I want it right now!
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Software is available now... all mac users have to check this out, it's insanely cool. The selection isn't the greatest at the moment, for my taste anyhow, but considering the service is only about 20 minutes old, it's a pretty vast selection. 200,000 tracks.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 05:58 PM

Paying for MP3's will never work.

There is just no reason to do it, its been done and failed.

Apple usually is the leader in new ideas, and this is an old bad one.

I think this is a bad move for Apple.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:06 PM

Before you dismiss it, read this article on Fortune.com.

The record companies have all done it completely wrong, protecting their own interests, but not giving a damn about the user experience or how people actually want to consume music.

Apple has no vested interest in the music industry, so they're delivering something that's totally user-focused. And all the major record companies are behind it. I think the coolest part of it is that there are 30-second previews of every track on the system. Try before you buy! If there's a whole album that's good, i'll probably buy the CD. But for singles, a buck a pop (or $1.50 if they eventually make it available in Canada), it's not bad, and saves me hours of trying to find stuff of questionable quality on LimeWire.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Apple isn't offering MP3's, they are using AAC compression, and it sounds considerably better than MP3's at the same bitrate. I've already downloaded an album and a few singles from the iTunes Music Store, and I can attest to this, but I believe a 360 kbps MP3 is what they're using as an equal to a 128k AAC file.

Once the iTunes Store is firmly established (PC users, Increased Library size, people understand it, ect.) the only excuse you'll have for downloading music from "free" p2p clients is that you're unethical.

College student: "I'm not paying $.99 to download a song I can get for free, I'm a poor college student, why should I give the record labels money? They're all rich anyway." (sip $4.95 cup of starbucks)

Seriously folks, this is it. Kiss the mega-stores good-bye. 2-3 years and they'll all be dead. Most complaints I've been hearing about the Apple service are based soley on misunderstanding or misinformation.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 5
I'd like to think it'll work, but I doubt it. If it did, Pay Per View would be the biggest business on the planet. Ethics or not, you can never beat free with affordable. What the companies may want to start doing is voluntarily flooding the net with mp3s of their artists, but having the songs "bumpered'" with commercials. So you have to buy the album to get rid of the ads. It's the same reason radio doesn't crush cd sales, the only thing people hate more than spending money is advertising.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:33 PM

Its not just an arbitrary dismissal, and yea, the record companies have done it all wrong, and still are.

There is no benefit to this system that Liquid Audio hasnt already provided, save the Apple name.

I seriously doubt that there will be a rush to get new Ti books, an airport, an ipod, and cable modem to buy a ****ty mp3, so I don't see the benefit to Apple in the long run, but to spend its rescores on things other than what Apple does best.

The downfall will be that the record companies are behind it. Wonder how badly the artists are going to get shafted on this.

Article at Slashdot.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Swift
College student: "I'm not paying $.99 to download a song I can get for free, I'm a poor college student, why should I give the record labels money? They're all rich anyway." (sip $4.95 cup of starbucks).
LOL but dead on correct.

the problem w/ this scheme is that this stands as much a chance of a success as Jobs' post-mac "Next" computers. Noone wants this to happen... and it's likely to be crushed by the machine (good or bad)... glen
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
College student: "I'm not paying $.99 to download a song I can get for free, I'm a poor college student, why should I give the record labels money? They're all rich anyway." (sip $4.95 cup of starbucks).
LOL but dead on correct.

the problem w/ this scheme is that this stands as much a chance of a success as Jobs' post-mac "Next" computers. Noone wants this to happen... and it's likely to be crushed by the machine (good or bad)... glen
Dude, the NExT was friggn cool! I wanted one so bad when they hit.

Those boxen still look cool to this day.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: the slashdot article, it's funny that people like to emphasize the limit of 10 burns per playlist. People misunderstand that as you can only burn a song 10 times, not true. You can burn songs as many times as you'd like but you just can't copy a complete CD 11 times. If you need 11 personal copies of a CD you have some organizational issues.

Re: jem7vwh, Radio can't crush CD sales, radio is a commercial for music sales.. That's why you hear the same song 10 times in 2 hours. The song is the advertising. Pay Per View is a completely different medium. People are still buying DVDs because they're priced affoardably and when you buy a new Jim Carey movie you don't expect it to suck for 60 minutes until you get to the 5 or 10 minutes funny minutes. That's what most people expect when they buy a new CD.

PPV is like streaming. Streaming isn't working for music either, i.e. Pressplay. If you could pay $9.99 to download the latest hollywood flick in DVD quality video and audio, save it on your HD for unlimited play, and put it on a $299 portable device to watch anywhere you are, well then I think that would be a hit too.

I'm curious, has anyone here tried this service, and still thinks it will fail? I be really surprised. I admit I'm biased, Apple's innovations amaze me, but if you can find a fault in this service, you're much more cynical than I am or you have some amazing inside info.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

BTW, Glynn...

The fortune article states that Apple gives an average of $.65 a song to the record companies, I guess that would be $6.50 an album as well. Since there are no production costs, there is definitely room for artists to see their royalty points.

What is exciting to me is that independent artists could eventually distribute their music through a service similar to this. Even right now, we've reduced the record labels to advertising agencies.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
College student: "I'm not paying $.99 to download a song I can get for free, I'm a poor college student, why should I give the record labels money? They're all rich anyway." (sip $4.95 cup of starbucks)
LOL, very true indeed...

As for the iTunes, I don't know, I still enjoy buying CD's the old way, but I guess this could change with time...I'm not a Mac user though...
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
I'd like to think it'll work, but I doubt it. If it did, Pay Per View would be the biggest business on the planet. Ethics or not, you can never beat free with affordable.

Wow man, incredible simple but incredibly legitimate point.

Tags
music store , pearl jam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode