Audio/video recording - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Audio/video recording

How do you guys get good quality sound on a video?

I have a pretty decent little digital video camera, but can't seem to get decent sound on it. I'm just wondering if other people have this problem or if I'm going about it wrong. Should I mic my amp and record the audio separately, then reassemble in a video editing program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 AM

Re: Audio/video recording

What do you consider good quality? Do you perhaps have an example of what you're aiming for?

EDIT: For me at least (for example my entries in the JSG), I use an iPhone 6 for video, and then record my audio separately in Logic. I then take the audio from the video and remove it, and add the backing track and the exported guitar track from Logic into iMovie and sync everything up.
I really really hate iMovie because it lacks proper sync options between the video and audio, and I have to manually make tiny adjustments to either audio of video to get it somewhat OK in terms of sync.

I think Drew will be able to get you a more professional answer, hopefully he has the time to explain

Last edited by Pirataz; 03-25-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirataz View Post
What do you consider good quality? Do you perhaps have an example of what you're aiming for?

EDIT: For me at least (for example my entries in the JSG), I use an iPhone 6 for video, and then record my audio separately in Logic. I then take the audio from the video and remove it, and add the backing track and the exported guitar track from Logic into iMovie and sync everything up.
I really really hate iMovie because it lacks proper sync options between the video and audio, and I have to manually make tiny adjustments to either audio of video to get it somewhat OK in terms of sync.

I think Drew will be able to get you a more professional answer, hopefully he has the time to explain
Maybe "good quality" is subjective... I guess I meant "acceptable quality". My attempt to record a video of me playing along with a backing track had horrible audio quality, whereas your videos have good sound. You can hear both the guitar and backing track very well.

I think you may have answered my question, although I don't have Apple/Mac products. By recording the guitar through your DAW while recordign the video, then later merging the two, you end up with better sound on the video. I'll have to try this with Reaper and Windows Movie Maker or something.

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Should I mic my amp and record the audio separately, then reassemble in a video editing program?
That's exactly what I do - it takes some fiddling with, but record them separately, bring the audio into your video editor as a .wav or .mp3 track, and then align them until they sync up as tightly as you can get them. Then, mute the audio on your video track.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
That's exactly what I do - it takes some fiddling with, but record them separately, bring the audio into your video editor as a .wav or .mp3 track, and then align them until they sync up as tightly as you can get them. Then, mute the audio on your video track.
Thanks Drew... I can render .wav's in Reaper easier than mp3's, something weird with my recording pc. The wife went out of town for a couple days so I hope to try it out. I need quite a bit of volume out of the amp to get good results with a mic.

Tags
multimedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode