Avenged Sevenfold - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Avenged Sevenfold

I downloaded some tracks off this bands latest disc. They broke onto the radio up here with "Bat Country" and that song was one of the few new songs these days that made me want to look into a band more. After hearing the whole disc, all i can say is wow! Very tasteful melodies and catchy choruses ...and best of all....some fresh and inspired shredding by the lead guitarist. This is a must hear disc as far as i am concerned....a step above most new music these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Re: Avenged Sevenfold

From what I hear the older stuff was much better (of course they always say that), but I can't get into them for personal reasons. Like they are very pro-drug and living the "rock Star" life, and let's face it fake rock star names are just plain ***, and there already was a John Christ 15 years ago, using fake rock star names that someone else already used is even ***er than using rock star names.
I understand they aren't role models and all that, but it sucks that they glorify that lifestyle and then I can't really tell my students to listen to them incase they decide that those are the footsteps for them to follow. Although the guitar players do rock.

Last edited by elcid; 12-17-2005 at 06:28 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Not a fan. Definitely not a fan.

They still calling themselves "Fashion-core" and wearing girl's pants?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 10:01 PM

well, if we are discussing their music and not their image, im a fan. i agree that the new album is great. its the first, current metal album i've heard in a while that has a singer that you can actually listen to. none of that screaming sh*t
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 12:02 AM

I've only heard the one song from them and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't call them metal because to me they're not. They're more of a rock to hard rock band in the vein of Velvet Revolver. Of course, that one song seems REALLY commercial and I've heard it too many freakin' times. It's not the kind of music that I want to make personally, but you've got to admire some of the guitar work.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
....some fresh and inspired shredding by the lead guitarist. This is a must hear disc as far as i am concerned....a step above most new music these days.
I completely agree. IMHO there's not a bad song on the entire disc. The last song on the disc (M.I.A.) has a cool galloping beat with dual harmonies, very Iron Maiden-like.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
From what I hear the older stuff was much better (of course they always say that), but I can't get into them for personal reasons. Like they are very pro-drug and living the "rock Star" life, and let's face it fake rock star names are just plain ***, and there already was a John Christ 15 years ago, using fake rock star names that someone else already used is even ***er than using rock star names.
I understand they aren't role models and all that, but it sucks that they glorify that lifestyle and then I can't really tell my students to listen to them incase they decide that those are the footsteps for them to follow. Although the guitar players do rock.
yeah...after looking at the website I thought the members using fake names was kinda cheesy.....but then again, no one really ripped the marilyn manson band for doing the same thing. I personally wont let my moral stances dictate what I listen to. I feel that i'll be robbing myself of some potentially rewarding musical listening. As far as the drug thing, and being a former user, I find that most drug habits are the result of peer pressure and not from imitation of celebrities. A teen with a good upbringing will be able to enjoy the music without taking on all of the bad habits that the musician is promoting.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
A teen with a good upbringing will be able to enjoy the music without taking on all of the bad habits that the musician is promoting.

Try calming down angry parents with that one. I agree completely but it's just a headache waiting to happen. I've had parents yell at me for teaching their kid Metallica after they came in and an uncle showed them the intro riff.

As for the Manson thing, there was plenty to rip on them for besides the name thing, although if A7X is wearing girl pants that goes on the list too.
On a side note when did it become cool to wear girl pants, one of the kids that works at the store where I teach wears them, apparently it's hardcore or something now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Re: new metal stuff, I enjoyed what I heard of the band Reflux, I think they call themselves metalcore or something of that sort, and there is a lot screaming, but the music is quite interesting. Plus their guitarist uses a UV.

I'll give Avenged Sevenfold a listen, although I am not big on listening to metal these days anymore, or guitar-based music for that matter.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 01:20 PM

Impressive talent for sure. Love that drummer! Nice stuff...but I can;t listen to the whole disc in one setting. A bit evil for my tastes, but they are bad-a** musicians. When I first heard "Bat Country" on the radio....I was like......who the F is this

Had the get the CD.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 PM

I think they're great! The old stuff is a lot heavier, though. Screaming vocals. If you're into that sort of thing... :/ Not really my bag, there... ( I do like COB, though)

As for wearing girls pants, where were you guys in the 70's and 80's? Alot of my stage pants are from the woman's department. Hey, especially nowadays, it's hard to find a pair of jeans that actually fit. I hate that baggy, relaxed crap. Like I said, I like mine to actually FIT.

Anyways, Bat Country was the first song I've heard on the radio, in a real long time, that kicks as much ass as Skid Row's Slave to the Grind.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Anyways, Bat Country was the first song I've heard on the radio, in a real long time, that kicks as much ass as Skid Row's Slave to the Grind.
I agree with Bat Country....but not with the tight girly jeans
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 AM

Hey, man, you're just jealous because I look so good in them, and you can't pull it off.

j/k
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Hey, man, you're just jealous because I look so good in them, and you can't pull it off.

j/k
Um...you need to pull that sock out of your tighty trousers and then see how you look

Yeah - I couldn't pull it off...my legs are too skinny
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Sock? Never stuffed anything but what God gave me in my pants.

Well, maybe an angry Ferret, or two... :O

Tags
guitar players , iron maiden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode