Beginner (Sort Of) - Need Suggestions - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Beginner (Sort Of) - Need Suggestions

Hi, I've been playing for about three years, and have a few questions:

1) *How can I improve my speed/accuracy?

2) *What would be a good (easy) song to help give me a taste of Vai-style guitar work?

3) *What would you suggest to a medium level guitarist, looking to improve? *

Thanx in advance!

P.S. *I practise a lot every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 12:58 PM

Beginner (Sort Of)

Keep practicing a lot every day
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 01:20 PM

Reviews: 5
Beginner (Sort Of)

1. *To improve- practice more/seek lessons
2. *To start with, you might want to try "Die to Live"
3. *Challenge yourself. *Pickout a piece you know you CANNOT play and learn it until you CAN.

4. *Read the lessons posted here.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 06:43 PM

Beginner (Sort Of)

Pick a record that may be just a little bit above your level and figure it out, note for note. *Try to transcribe all of the guitar yourself, and definately know all the chord changes. *Don't peek at any tab unless you absolutely have to. *Also, playing against the record will help you stay on tempo.

You can practice chops, speed, etc. all you want, but I have found that in order to be a better guitar player and musician, you should probably try figuring out different songs, styles, players, and the like. *By doing this, you learn a lot more at once than you would by just running a major scale really fast.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 07:11 PM

Beginner (Sort Of)

I agree with what Josh said about transcribing in black and white notes, rather than numbers. *Slowing down to half speed is NOT CHEATING. *there's a program called CD Looper that can bring a CD down to half speed without changing the pitch - *very cool. *If you don't want to pay for a program, the Sonique mp3 player can slow down to true half speed (octave lower pitch).

***note about transcribing. *It's NOT easy at first, but it does get easier the more you do it...persevere and the rewards are great. *Start simple - do a Hendrix or Clapton solo.***

Another method I've found helpful for learning solos is listening to a certain passage over and over again and just sing along with it - use whatever syllables you hear in your head (dweeee doo ba doo be doo is fine). *Usually once you can sing it, it's fairly easy to play it.

To improve phrasing in improvisation, I suggest singing along with everything you play - much in the same style as George Benson. *If you run out of breath in one phrase, it's too long.

Another reminder...speed isn't everything. *Outside of shred guitar circles people aren't impressed by speed - they're impressed by note-selection and phrasing. *I'm a Vai lover, for sure and most of his stuff is way above my playing ability (on guitar) - but I don't strive for that. *It's fun to listen to and drop my jaw, but it's not how i ever can envision myself playing. *

If I could hire any guitar player to put down a solo on one of my songs it'd be David Gilmour (from Pink Floyd, but i hope you already knew that). *He doesn't play anything fast, but his guitar solos just SING to me.

Okay...just got inspired for a different thread.
Hope this helps. *Good luck!
~Kenny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 5
Beginner (Sort Of)

Well.. here are my thoughts:

1- Practice a lot. Take at least one hour/day for technique practicing (sweep picking, alternate picking, scales, modes, patterns, arpeggios, etc). And study theory. The better you know how music works, the faster your brain works.

2- Try "Liberty". Little fast run at the end, but no problems at all (this one was the first SV song I've learned!).

3- Study theory, practice technique, do some ear-training, play for fun and listen to a lot of different music styles -- you can always merge influences to make your sound more rich and intelligent.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:53 PM

Beginner (Sort Of)

Sell your soul to the devil. That's the only way that works. *:shoot:

PS: Sorry for not being helpful. Everything has already been said, but not even one of these words will bring you to the edge of your playing. It's up to you.

Tags
alternate picking , david gilmour , george benson , pink floyd , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode