Beginners Songs - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Beginners Songs

Hi all,

I've had a guitar for 6 months now and although I'm not naturally gifted I'm getting good at the limited exercises I do, i can play the pentatonic scale and the first few bars of loads of songs.

I was wondering what songs you guys started to learn with, I need a few that are hard enough to make me learn, but easy enough that I can them nailed and get a feeling of acomplishment.

I think this is the hardest aspect of learning as I just dont know what to play at the moment.

I prefer playing cheesy rock style tunes, like poison, skid row etc but also like the 'chunka chunka squee' of heavy metal.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 AM

Re: Beginners Songs

A fun one to learn at your stage thats pretty easy but sounds cool is the opening lick to 'Sweet Child o Mine' by Guns n Roses.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:51 AM

now you are familiar with the pentatonic, try "Summer Song" (Joe Satriani) intro. It will give you a good example on how to correctly use this scale (assuming you are just doing normal progressions) and you will also exercise bendings.
Cheers
Ivan
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_hig
A fun one to learn at your stage thats pretty easy but sounds cool is the opening lick to 'Sweet Child o Mine' by Guns n Roses.
got that one in the bag already
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:33 PM

In that case, look for tabs of songs you would like to play and play 'em. The web's full of them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
In that case, look for tabs of songs you would like to play and play 'em. The web's full of them.
Agreed. Find songs you enjoy listening to and jam with them. Don't be afraid if it's over your current playing ability, that will simply push you to be better.

~R
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 PM

get the speed kills dvd
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 PM

most definitely! ^

The alternate picking exercises did wonders for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarshredder7
get the speed kills dvd

Who makes this dvd?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 AM

Dayum, trying to push the kid into Speed Kills already. I think that's a bit of overkill. After two years of playing, I'm just now attempting to learn the Speed Kills stuff. It's not bad NOW but I used to have a real problem with learning stuff "slow" first like you're supposed to so if I couldn't get it up to speed after several goes then I would just leave it. This isn't so much of a problem now and I'm doing pretty well learning the song "No Boundaries" but had I attempted this after 6 months of playing I surely would have given up.

As for good beginner stuff, I started off with the good 'ole stuff like Metallica, Pantera, and Megadeth. If you can play all of their stuff, then it's usually not that difficult to move on to other things.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 AM

How bout some classic rock tunes....

Tags
alternate picking , heavy metal , joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode