Behold my new weekly lesson series, Weekend Wankshop! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Behold my new weekly lesson series, Weekend Wankshop!

Hey everyone!
So I've started a spinoff series to my This Is Why You Suck at Guitar videos! Weekend Wankshop is where you're going to sit down with your ol' Uncle Ben every weekend and learn a lick guaranteed to be hotter than your stepmom's prom night.
Learn the lick and make a video of yourself playing it, and post to Twitter or Instagram, tag me (@BenEllerGuitars) and hashtag it #weekendwankshop ! And of course please "like" the video and subscribe to my channel. And click on that ad to help me make some money so I can keep making videos!
Thanks so much for watching, Suckamaniacs. See you next weekend for another luscious lick!
http://youtu.be/n8fomLbiij4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Re: Behold my new weekly lesson series, Weekend Wankshop!

I hope you do one of Jason becker's arpeggios from like altittudes or Serrana. That would be the greatest lick you ever put on there

I subscribed to your channel (thought I already had though).

BTW Ben, could you possibly give me a good speed building exercise? i'm trying to develop a little more speed in my playing (not a lot, just enough to look like I know what I'm doing)
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

thank you all for watching! stay tuned for a new installment tonight... i hope you all like string-skipping tapped pentatonic madness.
thank you Matias!!! Those Serrana arpeggios are SATANIC. Pure evil!!!!! Hahaha i hope i can get those down well enough to share!
Hmmm good question. Lemme come up with some good ones for ya
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

i've really enjoyed the ones Petrucci put into Rock Discipline. The alternate picking exercises, especially. His ones using speed bursts are perfect; play a chromatic patter (1 2 3 4 on every string), and play it as 4 8th notes followed by 4 16th notes. So every other string is double time basically. Then try doing 1 string as 8th notes, then 2 strings as 16th, etc. make sure you aren't altering your picking style or tensing up when you kick it into high gear on those 16th notes!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen View Post
thank you all for watching! stay tuned for a new installment tonight... i hope you all like string-skipping tapped pentatonic madness.
thank you Matias!!! Those Serrana arpeggios are SATANIC. Pure evil!!!!! Hahaha i hope i can get those down well enough to share!
Hmmm good question. Lemme come up with some good ones for ya
Hey if you ever got the Serrana arpeggios down well enough to share, you can say, "Even I can match the almighty power of Jason Becker, so you guys can too!"
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen View Post
i've really enjoyed the ones Petrucci put into Rock Discipline. The alternate picking exercises, especially. His ones using speed bursts are perfect; play a chromatic patter (1 2 3 4 on every string), and play it as 4 8th notes followed by 4 16th notes. So every other string is double time basically. Then try doing 1 string as 8th notes, then 2 strings as 16th, etc. make sure you aren't altering your picking style or tensing up when you kick it into high gear on those 16th notes!
That exercise sounds great I'll have to try it Thanks Ben!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

here's the 2nd installment of Weekend Wankshop! Scope out this string skipping tapped minor pentatonic madness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WgZx_NxX9M
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:48 AM

AWESOME lesson. Definitely need to practice it
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Reviews: 10

hotter than your parent's honeymoon?! ewwwww...
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM

"I don't use a hair-band on my guitar because I'm a grownup!"
Haha, yet another great video man!

-Edited to say this lick reminds me of the beginning of "Destroy Create Transform Sublimate" by Destrage.

Last edited by Burtallica; 12-06-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

WIN A SET OF MY BALLS! ..... My swirled ornament balls, that is. If you can learn this week's lick, make a video of it, and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #weekendwankshop (also tag me! @benellerguitars), you have a chance of winning some very special hand-swirled Christmas ornaments to trim your tree in style!
I will post a tab of the lick on my Instagram page here in a minute, and make the lesson video public.
Good luck!!!
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Whoops, missed one! Here's last week's episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIRdkwPczs

and a brand new one featuring some classic Marty Friedman lick madness! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoeA...cfCL6RplXhaO4Q
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for watching, guys!!!
Here's a brand new one for you guys, its a wicked 3 position D minor sweep arpeggio thing lick of doom and justice. We'll be sweeping and sliding all over several different positions of this arpeggio. Scope it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0xK76LeI0U
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 PM

That's a really great riff and excellent explanation, step by step. Meter is king!
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 PM

So Uncle Ben is an awesome teacher.. Now where's my rice?

Tags
ben , eller wankshop , suck , weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode