Bends with a tremolo... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Bends with a tremolo...

Quick question - What do you experienced tremolo users do when you hold a note and bend another at the same time. You know, the age old pentatonic move... Say in Am pentatonic, holding the B and E strings fretted at the 5th fret while bending the G string up a step at the 7th fret. This is a standard move, used in a million rock songs, like the solo "Rock N Roll All Night" by Kiss or in Volbeat's "Lola Montez" (in another position).

No big deal on a solid bridge guitar - easy and sounds good. Same with the EZ II tremolo with the springs that counter the extra pull of the bend.

But how do you pull this off on a tremolo equipped guitar? Is there something I'm missing? Sounds like crap when the held notes go flat bigtime... I try to release the bend in time, which is better but still not good.

I need expert advice before I call in all the stray cats in the neighborhood! The wife and kids are fighting over headphones and earplugs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Bends with a tremolo...

you slightly bend the held note as well...it takes practice but definitely do-able...d.m.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 AM

I rest the heel of my palm very lightly on the trem when doing these bends, feels a bit weird at first but after while becomes a reflex.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas... I'll try them out tonight.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Reviews: 2

Not that I'm experienced enough, but I tap/wiggle the tail of the trem with the heel of my palm to add a vibrato flourish to the bend. I'm NOT a good player, but I have a lot of the old "rockstar" tricks figured out.....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Not that I'm experienced enough, but I tap/wiggle the tail of the trem with the heel of my palm to add a vibrato flourish to the bend. I'm NOT a good player, but I have a lot of the old "rockstar" tricks figured out.....
Hmmm... I have always made it a point to keep my palm light on the trem, so I don't push it down while playing or palm muting. Never really thought of "using" my palm like that on the trem. I'll definitely play with it tonight and see what I can do. Probably take some getting used to... but I guess I better figure it out if I wanna be a rockstar too!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM

To me I guess I don't pay attention, even Satch and Vai don't really bother. I'm playing alternately between a fixed bridge and a lo pro edge equipped ibanez, I don't really bother. The vibe of what you're playing is the thing, I must aay after 20 years of active playing I do not care about this anymore, I'm also a bit too lazy to correct that, I must admit...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
To me I guess I don't pay attention, even Satch and Vai don't really bother. I'm playing alternately between a fixed bridge and a lo pro edge equipped ibanez, I don't really bother. The vibe of what you're playing is the thing, I must aay after 20 years of active playing I do not care about this anymore, I'm also a bit too lazy to correct that, I must admit...

So, your point is?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I never really noticed it too much before about a week ago... I guess it became noticeable from sitting playing alone practicing a couple songs that featured that style of playing as the "meat" of the solo, as in the Kiss song, or transitional lead, as in the Volbeat song, both listed above. After I noticed it, every time I played those licks it just sounded terrible. I only had solid bridge guitars up until about a year ago, so it was never an issue in the past. If I was playing live in a band, like you do, it may not be as noticeable.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I never really noticed it too much before about a week ago... I guess it became noticeable from sitting playing alone practicing a couple songs that featured that style of playing as the "meat" of the solo, as in the Kiss song, or transitional lead, as in the Volbeat song, both listed above. After I noticed it, every time I played those licks it just sounded terrible. I only had solid bridge guitars up until about a year ago, so it was never an issue in the past. If I was playing live in a band, like you do, it may not be as noticeable.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Messed around with some of the ideas above... but still having trouble. I couldn't get used to moving my palm back on the trem to counter it. Slightly bending the held note was ok when it is only one string, but obviously I couldn't do it with both E and B strings. Bending the G string and releasing quickly had the best results... Doesn't sound perfect, but I can always use a solid bridge guitar I guess.

Thanks for the help on my quest for rockstardom!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
So, your point is?
so my point is that I don't really take care of this and do accept that the not bended note is a bit detuned
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
so my point is that I don't really take care of this and do accept that the not bended note is a bit detuned
Ahh....cool. I didn't really understand your first post.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:50 PM

The best way, IMO, is to train your ear so you just automatically react to the tuning instabilities inherent with floating bridges. When you do that classic double-bend you are talking about, you do need to slightly bend the held note as well, due to it flattening when another string is bent because of the bridge doing a mini nose-dive. You'll start to compensate automatically, given the time and practice!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Instead of using your palm to keep the bridge from coming forward, use the bar. Think of it in the same manner as how Vai uses the bar to raise a note up to the next diatonic pitch. This will not be as extreme, however, as you're just trying to compensate for the pull the bend causes. It might take some work, but you should be able to get it to sound in key.

Tags
tremolo bend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode