Berklee Guitar Sessions (summer program) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Berklee Guitar Sessions (summer program)

Anyone know anything about the typical student in the one-week summer program? I'm interested, but I'm a 37-yr old business professional. I'm wondering if I would be completely out of place. Is this program more for the young "wipper-snappers" ???

Last edited by ric232; 01-08-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 AM

Re: Berklee Guitar Sessions (summer program)

I applyed there for the summer (as well as the fall) and I'm 18. I would actually be interested to hear an answer to this question.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser
I applyed there for the summer (as well as the fall) and I'm 18. I would actually be interested to hear an answer to this question.
You're wondering if there are going to be a bunch of old farts like me ??
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric232
You're wondering if there are going to be a bunch of old farts like me ??
I wouldn't have a problem with that, to be honest. I like diversity; it would be interesting to have musicians of all ages playing together in a educational environment.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 AM

I am going for 5 weeks in the Summer. Doing the performance in fusion. Anyone else going?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser
I wouldn't have a problem with that, to be honest. I like diversity; it would be interesting to have musicians of all ages playing together in a educational environment.
Did you apply for the one-week session, or longer? I'm looking into the one-week deal (Aug 20 - 25).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM

I did the 5 week one last year, when I was 15.

There was mostly just kids, but they have have something different for you old guys! lolz.

But it was a incredible experiance. There was this one kid and he was like ****ing Vai. He was TOTALLY obessed with him and could play ANYYYYY Vai song you could name. It was sickening. But none the less he was just insane for 17.

The classes are good, but most of the day is composed of self teaching after the classes.

The best learning part is talking with other kids and such and learning stuff from them.

The one thing I like about it is that EVERYONE wasn't a musical genius, some kids were just starting out, which made for a more comfertable environment.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 06:04 PM

That sounds awesome Melodic Dreamer. What did you play for the first audition and did they ask you anything else? Sounds like you had great experience I can't wait.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Berklee Guitar Sessions (summer program)

Here I am worried about my age and the real problem would probably be that I'm Republican. I bet they have special sensors at the door.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 AM

I'm a Berklee Grad, but i never took the summer program.

I'm 35 now, and i couldn't imagine being immersed in a bunch of teenagers, no matter how well they play. However, that's just me. If your heart is in it and you have a specific goal in mind you'll get out of it what you put in...just keep your blinders on.

Your brain, at 37, operates on a higher level and thus you need to be taught differently than a teenager does. You might want to consider finding a teacher in your area that can open your ears privately. Your money will probably be better spent.

Just my .02
~Kenny

PS:If you want to PM with me about it, feel free. I'm also on AIM - click the icon.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

To clarify, I'm talking about the 1-week program, NOT the 5-week. I would expect the students in the 5-week program to be younger. I'm trying to find out if the 1-week program attracts more of a diversity.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric232
Did you apply for the one-week session, or longer? I'm looking into the one-week deal (Aug 20 - 25).
I applyed for the one week session as well. Should be fun. Don't worry about your age haha. However, I understand your point of view. Then again, you are a Republican. Maybe that's something more important to worry about. Sorry to hear about DeLay.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Cmon someone has to be doing the 5 week as well..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode