Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Berklee Online Courses

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  newbieguitarmaker 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am a Junior in Highschool and I have already laid out some college plans for myself but I've been very interested in taking some online courses from the Berklee Online School that they just created.

I am not going to go to college on music since I have a job waiting for me that pays well and the degree I'll get will guarantee me a good job almost anywhere I go. But I would like to pursue music also, but have that safety net which would be my other degree I'll be earning at a Florida college (get in for free because of Bright Futures Scholarship so I'm not going out of state)

Do you guys think I should take these classes starting maybe this summer and work on them next year before I go to college (the FAQ says you don't need a Highschool diploma) or should I not take the online courses and just go to a music college once I am into my career?

#2 ·
It seems like it would be very difficult to go to music school full time while holding down a good career. I'm in the same boat at the moment. I intend to become a doctor of Physical Therapy. Either this summer or after I get out of college I will be taking online classes from Berklee or attending GIT if I can find a job in Cali.

#5 ·
I have seen this done. I have also seen someone get a degree in Physics while working 60+ hours a week. It can happen, you just have to have the dedication.

newbieguitarmaker, I say do it up man. I wish I could turn back the clock and do something like that. You are young enough that even if it turns out to be a bad decision, it won't effect your life much in the long run. Go for it!!

#6 ·
thanks for the replies! I think I am going to do the courses and maybe after a few years in a Florida college (free for because of scholarships) doing my degree in economics, I could possibly transfer to a college in Boston and finish my degree (as long as they take my credits and have no problem with it at all) and then I could dual enroll and finish my music degree too. But I will probably just do my main degree in Florida and finish my music ones later. and yes I realize the job I will be doing will be extremely hard to be able to finish a degree at the same time, especially with the market being so crappy. (All I can say is credit putting false visions of money is the enemy >_<)

I am, however, going to use my upright bass and other musical instruments as a hook to get in the door at colleges. Some very respectable colleges have actually told me that because I play upright bass, not even counting my piano, violin, electric instruments and other ones I know, I can get into their college on a full ride. So I think even if I start the Berklee program (especially the Music Theory since it applies to all music) it would help me get into a college, even out of state if I didn't need the Bright Futures scholarship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.