Besides Shred / Prog Rock, what else do y'all listen to? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Besides Shred / Prog Rock, what else do y'all listen to?

I was going through my buddy's CD collection and I realized 90-95% of his music was metal/prog/shred. He doesn't even own a Zeppelin album (is that legal?!?!). What do y'all listen to? Does anyone jam something totally weird that you wouldn't think a typical Jemsite reader would listen to?

Up until I graduated from high school (I'm 23, so a while ago), I listened to nothing but metal or its forerunners (Zeppelin, Sabbath, ect...). But after looking at my friend's collection, I came back and browsed mine and realized how insanely diverse my musical tastes have become. I'd say I probably have 40% rock (including metal), 40% country, 20% other (hip hop, classical, jazz).

I'd say my weird music is definetly country, alt-country to be specific. As for how I got into it. I go to Texas A&M, and discovered that the crap they play on the radio isn't the only type of country music. Secondly, I discovered I can sing country really well. And probalby last, rock music these days has become too whiney. When I listen to stuff like Incubus or Staind I ask myself "are there that many depressed people in this country that this stuff actually sells?" I think the last modern rock song I heard that I liked was Shinedown's cover of "Simple Man" which is a Skynrd song anyway, so it doesn't count...

Oh yeah, country is also one of the few forms of music these days that isn't complete void of a guitar solo

I suppose I'd have to throw in John Mayer and Maroon 5. John Mayer is an awesome guitar player so I'm probably not the only jemsite guy who likes him but Maroon 5 usually confuses people. I'm not really sure how I got into them, I imagine it had something to do with getting laid then hearing "Sunday Morning" on the radio and saying to myself "hey... I can relate to this".

Anyway, I'd love to hear back from everyone, take care y'all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 PM

Re: Besides Shred / Prog Rock, what else do y'all listen to?

some peeps introduced me to Faith No More about a year ago and ever since I can't get enough of Mike Patton. Everything he does is awesome. Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, it's all so good!! Mike Patton is a God.

I also like the Misfits. Glen Danzig is another God.

I'm also into a bit of rap. Mainly old school and underground. some of my favourite artists are GZA, Rakim, Gang Starr, MF Doom and a couple others.

there's much more I'm into I just don't feel like telling you every single band.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

I don't really listen to shred, and rarely to modern prog. If I do then it's mostly the old school stuff - Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Rush. I have been digging Porcupine Tree a lot, and they have some proggier leanings.

Most of my listening these days is jazz, so-called fusion, various forms of non-guitarcentric rock/pop (Arcade Fire, Joy Division, Pulp, Radiohead, Bjork, Jeff Buckley, Living Colour, Bad Brains, Beatles, Syd Barrett, Television, Mr. Bungle, Leonard Cohen...) and quite a bit of classical (really fond of Bartok) and electronica (been enjoying Autechre recently).

I rarely spin some metal nowadays, mostly Sepultura, Pantera, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Meshuggah...Every once in a while I'll put an old Metallica disc on.

Guilty pleasure: Sypmphony X ;-)
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:46 PM

Here's a short list:

Paul Gilbert, Racer X, Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden, Ted Nugent, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Pantera, Darrell Abbot, Down, Ron Thal, Bumblefoot, Death, Chuck Schuldiner, Control Denied, Megadeth, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Cacophony, Jason Becker, Symphony X, Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Johann Sebastian Bach, Vinnie Moore, Michael Angelo Batio, Niccolò Paganini, Metallica, Cliff Burton, Steve Morse, Deep Purple, Dream Theater, John Petrucci, Monolith, Anthrax, Skid Row, Johnny Cash, Jim Morrison, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society, Shadows Fall, Mötley Crüe, Testament, W.A.S.P., Manowar, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Impaled Nazarene, Napalm Death, Motörhead, Judas Priest, Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, Burn the Priest, Lamb of God, Sepultura, Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Billy Corgan, Amon Amarth, Orna Annon, Naglfar, Alice in Chains, Jerry Cantrell, Twisted Sister, Dark Tranquillity, White Zombie, In Flames, Danzig, Samhain, Misfits, Meshuggah, Tool, Guns N' Roses, Buckethead, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Nobuo Uematsu, The Black Mages, Dead Kennedys, Minutemen, Black Flag, Henry Rollins, Minor Threat, The Screws, The A.K.'s, Daycare Swindlers, Two Man Advantage, Suicide Machines, The Twats, 311, Sublime, Stone Temple Pilots, Van Morrison, ZZ Top, Zappa, Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Idol, Grateful Dead...

Big metalhead

Last edited by Nordhauser; 01-19-2006 at 04:11 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 1

I gotta one even better.

Every Little Rock you can think of from Elvis up to Pearl Jam, Blues Rock, Blues, Metal, prog(YES, PF, DT, etc.), country Rock, Black Oak Arkansas, Doobie, Allman, Lynyrd, Eagles. Billy Joel, Bryan Adams. Jazz. Then some Son, Guaracha, Salsa and Boleros and then some Romantic: Beni Moré, Celia Cruz, Willy Chirino, Gloria Stefan, Franco D' Vita, etc.

Of course I Love Classical.

Still wondering to get some Asian Stuff.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM

The Eagles
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM

Lots of Donovan
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 PM

Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, John Petrucci, Fear Factory, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Black Label Society, Alice In Chain, Led Zepplin, Kiss, Killswitch Engage, Kamelot, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Cradle of Filth, Cream, Damage Plan, In Flames, ill Nino, Linkin Park, Nevermore, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rammstein, Santana, Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, Symphony X, System of a Down, Yngwie Malmsteen, ZZ Top, Messhugah.

So Basically i listen to:
Prog/ Instrumental Metal (im a big metalhead as well)
Rock (every type known to man. exept punk)
Jazz
Blues
Classical
Ballads etc.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 AM

Listen to a lot classical I love chopin and paganini....
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 AM

I'm more into fusion/jazz stuff these days like Greg Howe, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Johnson, Stanley Jordan and so on.

Regards

André

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 AM

Besides the usual Satch, Vai & Yngwie, I love various classical stuff, espacially on the cello, East/West coast jazz & new age.

Sometimes I dun even listen to music for days on end, just spend time watching lots documentries on nature, history or science, or read a good book.

cheers
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloop9
Besides the usual Satch, Vai & Yngwie, I love various classical stuff, espacially on the cello, East/West coast jazz & new age.

Sometimes I dun even listen to music for days on end, just spend time watching lots documentries on nature, history or science, or read a good book.

cheers
I've started reading all those old Dragonlance books even though I haven't played AD&D for over 10 years.

Regards

André

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I've started reading all those old Dragonlance books even though I haven't played AD&D for over 10 years.

Regards

André

I would recommend the Clerical Quintet, Dark Elf Trilogy, or Chronicles.

Nordhauser, where at in VA are you? I used to live in Richmond.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam
I would recommend the Clerical Quintet, Dark Elf Trilogy, or Chronicles.

Nordhauser, where at in VA are you? I used to live in Richmond.
I've already finished Chronicles and I am almost through Legends. I'm going to read some Ravenloft books afterwards about Lord Soth .

Regards

André

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I've already finished Chronicles and I am almost through Legends. I'm going to read some Ravenloft books afterwards about Lord Soth .

Regards

André
Check out the Icewind Dale Trilogy, or Dark Elf Trilogy in the Forgotten Realms series. I liked the Forgotten Realms stuff a little bit better.

Tags
allan holdsworth , andy timmons , angelo batio , billy sheehan , brett garsed , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , dave mustaine , david lee roth , eddie van halen , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank gambale , frank zappa , gary moore , heavy metal , iron maiden , jason becker , jeff beck , jeff buckley , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , joe satriani , john coltrane , john mayer , john petrucci , john scofield , jordan rudess , mark knopfler , marty friedman , michael angelo batio , miles davis , morbid angel , motley crue , neal schon , neil young , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pearl jam , pink floyd , prog rock , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , robert johnson , ron thal , stanley jordan , steve lukather , steve morse , steve stevens , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , stevie ray vaughn , ted nugent , tony macalpine , van halen , victor wooten , vinnie moore , white lion , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode