best rock drummer? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

View Poll Results: best rock drummer
Keith Moon 0 0%
John Bonham 3 20.00%
Neil Peart 3 20.00%
Lars Ulrich 0 0%
Mike Portnoy 6 40.00%
other 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

best rock drummer?

This is a guitar site and it's been asked forever about best kick butt rock shredder guitarist with Joe and Steve getting a lot of props, inside and outside of the Ibanez world, but what about best rock drummer?

There are so many styles within the genre of rock drummer, but my vote goes to Badlands, Alice Cooper, Gary Moore, and KISS drummer Eric Singer. Like many drum shredders, he can do the fast stuff, but what it truly great is how he can fit into any band and complement any given song which is so much harder to do than most realize. He fit Kiss so well he even did all the lead and backing vocals that original drummer Peter Criss did and sounded exactly like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmNzDdtiYxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fUuvVmC2o4

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-20-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:16 PM

Re: best rock drummer?

The best rock drummer in my opinion is Jimmy Chamberlin of The Smashing Pumpkins.
OCDemon is online  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Vendor

I'd have a tough time deciding between Neil Peart or Tommy Lee. Obviously very different drummers.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 10

I went with Neil Peart - he has influenced so many drummers and Rush have influenced so many bands...I am a huge Rush fan. Although, I also think Mike Mangini is amazing and seems like the perfect fit for Dream Theater. I watched the DVD video for the drummer auditions for Dream Theater and Mike Mangini was amazing... and I saw them in concert last year and he blew me away - the whole band was amazing... one of the best concerts I've ever seen. So my vote is still for Neil Peart with an honorable runner-up mention for Mike Mangini =)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:57 PM

While probably not the best I have ever seen, Marty Friedman's touring drummer, Chargeeee, hit the drums harder than anyone I have ever seen. He is from Japan and is a wildman behind the kit.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 05:28 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra1 View Post
hit the drums harder than anyone I have ever seen.
Is that even a good thing??
He reminds me Tommy Lee in the 80's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 PM

Not on the list, but my all-around favorite has always been Danny Carey of Tool.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:15 PM

Lars Ulrich lol.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Lars Ulrich lol.
Buddy..........lol....

I gotta go with JB, I mean, without him, where would big drum sounds be now? I know Carmine was using big drums back then but JB took it to a whole new level. Name 1 other guy on this list that has played anything that SOUNDS and FEELS as good as the into to "When The Levee Breaks"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 6

personal fave is mikkey dee...from technique in king diamond to the all out assault of motorhead...live he is just a beast...d.m.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Buddy..........lol....

I gotta go with JB, I mean, without him, where would big drum sounds be now? I know Carmine was using big drums back then but JB took it to a whole new level. Name 1 other guy on this list that has played anything that SOUNDS and FEELS as good as the into to "When The Levee Breaks"
That is amazing. I love that he had tymps.

The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again left an impression. Metallica's Orion finally got me onboard with them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 15

Tags
best rock drummer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode