Blue Powder again... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Blue Powder again...

I was just thinking that how do you guys do that Vai-ish thing when you pull on the bar so much that the string frets out? I mean, if I lower the strings then I can do it but then can't pull up more than a few steps coz I need it to be about 5 steps to play Vai. I've a JEM77FP.

So, anyone can do that "fretting-out-thing" in the beginning of Blue Poewder?!?!? I can't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 09:38 AM

pull and, and pull hard, thats all you can do.
And have a few pack of strings waiting on the sidelines.

It took me a while to get that, and I've broken a lot.
A trick to doing it is pulling up on the bar, while actually pushing the string off the edge of the fretboard, but its hard to do without losing your grip on the string.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 12:01 PM

I understood he pulled the strings round the back of the fretboard, from the tab book, if we're talking about the same thing. You should hook the string under your nail and pull to the edge of the fretboard, then push with the pad of your finger to vary pitch. I can probably look up what string/fret if you want.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeemy
I understood he pulled the strings round the back of the fretboard, from the tab book, if we're talking about the same thing. You should hook the string under your nail and pull to the edge of the fretboard, then push with the pad of your finger to vary pitch. I can probably look up what string/fret if you want.
Thanx. I mean, it's REALLY difficult to make it sound even close to something like that. How can you get the notes right?!? How on earth Steve could practised it to make it sound like that?!? Beats me..

Another difficult one for me is the same kind of thing in Jibboom right before the second solo part. I can't do that "scratchy" thing pulled on the strings on 12th fret. What's wrong? if anyone can help me with these things, I'd be glad.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 11:50 PM

I usually cheat on "Blue Powder" and just do hammer-ons from the 7th fret to the 24th fret while bending up. It sounds close enough.

cheers!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 09:43 AM

As SSV is so fond of saying, you shouldn't really be trying to replicate exactly, learn the song and then move onto doing your own thing within the boundaries, or turn it into something new. You could try playing the high bits on the pickup itself. Or use a Digitech Whammy? Round the back of the neck, you're right, its damn hard (if not impossible to replicate exactly), but if you can develop something that works for you and you sound confident playing it, then you've done more than if you just replicated his work. Not trying to sound preachy, hope its useful. Jamie
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 06:40 PM

Man, i thought he just used the Whammy during the whole thing. Can't imagine my fret-outs sounding anything like that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 08:18 AM

Be warned, pulling it with your nail hurts badly!!! I once broke the nail and the string!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:26 AM

you need a jem for this, you should have 3 springs, and you can do it if you keep practicing. believe it or not, practicing helps you control what comes out when you fret out. You also need alot of distortion and sustain.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:12 AM

I guess I'm gonna look like an ignorant but you will have to excuse my poor english and guitar knowledge...

I never quite understand what you mean by the strings fretting out.

And by the way, pulling the bar means raising the pitch of the strings right? Not lowering it...

THX for everything...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:28 AM

you got it... ;-)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 04:00 PM

Hi people! Right, that pulling off the fretboard thingy...

I'll use that lick in Blue Powder as an example. What you have to do is fret the Bstring at the 12th fret with the ring finger (making sure you use the first & second fingers for strength as in a normal bend) and play the note.

Then as your about to play the bend, arch/bend your wrist and pull the string down towards the edge of the fretboard with the pad of your finger (not the nail, ouch!). You should catch the Estring also and the whole action involves pulling both strings off the fretboard. Then it's just a case of pulling the string around the back of the neck. The further you pull, the higher the note will be.

This does take practice, but doesn't take long to learn!

Other examples of this technique include Jibboom (before second verse), Yankee Rose (in second verse) and The Boy From Seattle (right at the end).

Hope I explained it OK!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 10:50 AM

That's a killer song, good luck with that. If you get it to where you like it, please post it so I can listen. That's my favorite Vai song.

Tags
digitech whammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode