Ibanez JEM Forum banner

book or method?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kotornut 
#1 ·
hi guys,

I need your help to become a better player: I need a roadmap!
I can dedicated 3h/week to learn.

right now what I am doing:
- learning songs from tabs
- learning new licks

I am an absolute 0 in terms of theory (i know the pentatonic + shapes) and I find myself doing the same old things when it comes to playing a solo...

I have problems knowing in which key to play a solo sometimes (so the first few notes I play are for me to find the right key and then I use my penta tricks...)

so: is there a good book with an audio cd that would be a step by step approach of music theory (modes, scales, techniques, harmony ...) + practical examples? (like a guitarist survival kit...)

info that could be relevant: I'd like to focus on blues, jazz and rock.
thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
hello,

I've got it but I came to the conclusion that I learn better using books + reading tabs than by watching a video.

I'd really like to make the most of these 3h / week: it's like I am always doing the same thing and not making any progress at all. pretty frustrating...

especially when you know that you know nothing!! ;)

#5 ·
it's not a curse we can "fight back" ;)

I am sure some people here have managed to learn some theory, found some good exercises and became better guitarists and all that without the help of dvds (because there was no such thing 10 years ago...) or a teacher.

and since people are pretty friendly here they will be willing to share their method :)

a good planning, a good book with audio files (and a lot of playing of course! :) ) must have done the trick...

#10 ·
I'd say just momorize the patterns one by one. Start with the simple 1-3-5 chord patterns and learn the scale pattern and jam. Then move to more complicated chord structures where you have to watch out for notes that might not fit when soloing in a selected scale and key.

Honestly, some people make it harder on themselves than it should be. Just relax guitar is supposed to be fun making mistakes makes you learn. It's not a competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.