Boston area questions - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Boston area questions

What is the scene like in the Boston, MA area? I teach guitar here in G'ville, FL host an open mic night at a local bar and play in three local projects/bands that are mostly classic, hard, new and southern rock oriented. I have talked to a local music store in the Boston area and they are in need of another guitar instructor in the spring but what is the performance scene like? Does having Berkley in the area hinder or help the amount of gigs and or bands in the area to perform at/with? Are there decent paying gigs regularly available in the area?

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,

~Bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Re: Boston area questions

No one from the area has any helpful info? I am flying up there at the end of this month (Feb 25th- March 5th) to visit and have a first hand look around, if anyone can advise places to see or check to get an idea of the scene while I'm there it would be greatly appreciated. It would be cool to meet a jemsiter or two while I'm there if anyone has the time.

thanks,

~Bones
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Hey Dude.

The Boston Scene?

I guess it all depends what your looking for and where you at around here. I live and grew up in the city. Boston music scene is a bit of a mix bag. The main scene in Boston is pop & indi rock. There are some cool stuff like the punk scene is cool sometimes you might catch a good hardcore show but it was better back in the early 90's for hardcore.
For metal its better in Worcester just because the more metal concerts are there also the New England Metal fest is in Worcester.

DOes Berklee have an effect? yes and no. I guess there are places near Berklee you can catch students jamming but I'm not around that area that much. I went to one place called Wallys years ago and its a tiny bar but sometimes students will be jamming in there.

FOr good clubs in Boston. Well Cambridge should be your first stop. The Middle East is a melting pot of what ever passes by. Metal, pop, folk, punk, indi, experimental, prog rock, electronica, stoner rock, fusion, classic rock and so on. Its got 2 main levels an upstairs and downstairs. Upstairs is smaller and the downstairs is a bigger area. Its got a resturant selling what else middle eastern food. Great food. THey have this third area in the one of the resturant areas but mostly folk just because its more of a resturant setting.

TT THe Bears which is next door similar bands play there but no metal. Its more of a place for indi rock, punk and folk.

Harpers Ferry in Allston is a great club and great location with resturants, bars and great music store. Check out Mr. Music for good selection of used gibsons, fenders and Gretches a very close family friend owns that place. Keep this area on your mark lots of other pubs and cool places to hang. Like the Middle east Harpers gets a good amount of nationals passing through along with local acts.

THe Paradise for good small national type bands you have to pull your weight to get in there to play. But worth checking out.

Bills Bar on Landsdown its a good place to catch a local band. Still worthy of checking after everything else.

THe Palladium in Worchester for your metal shows. I know this place called the Lucky Dog has a lots of local acts playing there. Great place the drinks are made awesome along not being too pricey.

Years ago Boston was much cooler its changed over the years and there are becoming less clubs for bands to play.

Also check out the Kennmore Sq area cool bars, resturants and dance clubs if your looking for some other things to check out.
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

A BIG Thanks!! That's exactly the kind of info I wanted. I'll be staying in Wakefield with my gf and plan to check out the local scene in as many close areas as possible. I'm looking to move there if opportunities seem more abundant than Gainesville, which is basically why I'm going this month. If all seems cool then I could be moving there as early as mid April.

Again, I do appreciate all the info and taking the time to share it. I will definitely post a follow up when I return.

If anyone has anything to add or thoughts about being a musician in Boston, I'd love to hear from you.

~Bones
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Vendor

I've never been anywhere that had a more active gigging scene than Florida. Live music is alive and well there. You'll find live music in every state, but it's like EVERY bar in Florida has a band playing in it almost every night. At least the ones I've been to.

Hey Bones, have you forgotten what New England winters are like?!
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

No doubt there is lots of music in FL and you can't beat these milder winters than what everyone in New England is dealing with right now.

I am in a good position right now where I am but I don't have my woman here which takes away a lot of the luster from my world as you can probably understand. My gf moved to Boston last August for a promotion in her career and is begging me to move up. This girl ROCKS my socks so I'm considering moving up but not at the cost of NOT having decent career options for myself up there.

One big worry is that I'd hate to leave an established career to find few opportunities up there. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that Boston is a good place to be for working musicians. Where's my crystal ball? :/
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Vendor

Who cares, if you've got a sugar momma that rocks your socks climbing the corporate ladder to her glass ceiling, who needs a career?
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

This is true and the same advice friends/ family keep giving me.

She does, without a doubt ROCK my world on SOOO many levels - I didn't even think this was possible.

I've always heard of love at first sight but now I've felt it. No sh#t. Just hard to not TRY and stay logical about my decision and not just pack my sh#t and move there yesterday.

Thanks for the advice Rich.

~Bones
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Vendor

Women come and go, but keepers are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN! If she wants you to come, get gone as fast as you can.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I'll be there on the 25th of this month and will start getting the ball rolling for the big move when I return on the 5th of March.

She is a keeper: smart, beautiful/sexy, inspiring and she is as into me as I am her (no bad puns please ). I see her being Mrs.Bones by years end.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Vendor

Oh no, that I didn't know. You'd be making the biggest mistake of your life!! Take a cold shower, I've got your back. I'll go up and let her down easy for you so she can't use those witching ways on you anymore. All I need is her address and phone number [and a few naked pictures just to make sure!].
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Well these aren't nekkid pics, but these are all I'd share

Her and I New Years Eve

Visiting a local springs here in FL over the Xmas holidays

I had her hold the guitar she got me for Xmas for a couple pics. She is a ROCKER and even better, MY ROCKER

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Vendor

A little overdressed, but I still need her address
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
Worchester
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
What's the "squinter" all about? Do you have fresh info about Worchester? I'm all ears if so

Rich, I'll be happy to give you OUR address when I get there

Tags
boston music

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode