Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Brian May / Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody solo

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff - CRO 
#1 ·
This is my brave cover attempt of a famous Brian May and Queen's true classic song.
I've sh*t my pants,I have to admit!:)
Brian May is a true genius and is one of the hardest guitarists to "emulate",at least in my case.
Anyways,I hope you'll like it and feel free to share any of your comments on this thread.
Thanks!:)

Oh...and here's the link:

#4 ·
Ok, this is coming from a certified Queen/Brian May fan (I've owned 2 Brian May guitars one of which I still own and I even met Brian May down in Rhode Island when he was touring the States in support of "Back to the Light"), here's my 2 cents.

You haven't replicated the tone but then again, you can't unless you're using a Brian May guitar (2nd gen Guild or the new series that Brian is putting out himself). The guitar is really the key to his sound, more so than the AC30s or even the 6 pence pick.

You're hitting most of the notes in the solo but the feel isn't quite there yet. I'm just not "buying" it. You need to practice in his style more that's all. I rate the feel 6.5/10.

I do agree that Mr. May is a very difficult guitarist to emulate but you're getting there. Your attempt sounded better than most. :)

#5 ·
Ok, this is coming from a certified Queen/Brian May fan (I've owned 2 Brian May guitars one of which I still own and I even met Brian May down in Rhode Island when he was touring the States in support of "Back to the Light"), here's my 2 cents.

You haven't replicated the tone but then again, you can't unless you're using a Brian May guitar (2nd gen Guild or the new series that Brian is putting out himself). The guitar is really the key to his sound, more so than the AC30s or even the 6 pence pick.

You're hitting most of the notes in the solo but the feel isn't quite there yet. I'm just not "buying" it. You need to practice in his style more that's all. I rate the feel 6.5/10.

I do agree that Mr. May is a very difficult guitarist to emulate but you're getting there. Your attempt sounded better than most. :)
Hey man,thanks for the comment!It really adds some extra weight to the comment when it's coming from the mouth of somebody who is really into Queen and Brian May as you are.I appreciate your cons and pros as well.
I hope I will pull it off better some other time,Brian May is a nasty motherf*ker!:D

Concerning the tone,I do agree that it isn't replicated since I realize that I do not have a "proper tools" to replicate it.I did my best with the rig I currently have,though what you see in the video is my favorite lead tone sound and the one I use about 90% on all melody lines or solos.
Personally,I like smoother lead sound without too much saturation and compression.I use "medium gain" range mostly of my time as far as the distortion settings go.How do you feel about my sound?:D
And it's not even close to it's full potential because the amp is very low on the master volume and the tubes were not properly "lit up",it gets drastically better when I have opportunity to run it fully cranked.

Cheers!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.