Buckethead. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Buckethead.

Can anybody give me some info about this guy? I've read abit about him and what I have read has kind of freaked me out. The guys wierd. What's with the hole persona?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:19 PM

Re: Buckethead.

He's just a guy with a sense of humour, that's it...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 PM

He was born in a coop
Rasied in a cage
Children fear him
Critics rave
He's half alive
he's half dead
Folks just call him Buckethead
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:33 PM

He plays a couple of cool and unique Gibson Les Pauls which have oversized 'fat' bodies and a momentary kill-switch.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 AM

www.bucketheadland.com ??

EDIT...mmm not very informative either...

Last edited by krizz; 06-21-2005 at 02:01 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 AM

He's been in a couple of bands but I can only remember Praxxis (Praxis?) off the top of my head. He plays almost all musical styles and writes scores for movies.

Do a google search of buckethead unmasked to get a news paper article of what he really looks like (fake pinky before anyone asks), his name is Brian Carrol. He's really unique and got solid technique.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/faq/index.html

There is some information for the questions you asked. It's really hard to get a grasp on his persona because with people like Vai they get answers on his site to questions like "what kind of chewing gum does he chew" and with buckethead you can hardly find anything on him, the real him that is.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 AM

Yep, he's a freak, but he writes some interesting and diverse music. And I don't think there's a single guitar player on the planet who pumps out as many albums/year as he does. In about 12 years playing, I think he has credit on something like 25-30 albums. He jams with a wide circle of people and bands.

If you're interested in checking him out, head over to Amazon and check the sound clips. Of his albums, my favorite are:

1) Bucketheadland
2) Bucketheadland 2 (VERY HEAVY)
3) Colma (VERY LIGHT)
4) Monsters and Robots
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:24 AM

Just to drive that 'freak' point home:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:29 AM

don't forget his stint in guns'n'roses. saw them at leeds in 2002. awesome. and it was the only time i'll ever see a guitar/nunchucka solo!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
dex

That boy is a freak and I esp like the story where Shawn Lane told some magazine that Kaiser Nancarrow (the intro tune to "The Tri-Tone Fascination") can not be played by any guitarist on the planet, mainly because it was edited from single notes but Buckethead took this as a challenge and learned to play it.
Here's the story as told by the great late Shawn Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Lane
What that is was, I have been pretty obsessed for a little while with the music of Conlon Nancarrow, so I wanted to try to express something like that with the guitar and I wanted to do note combinations that I didn't think could be done on the guitar. So actually what I did is constructing it by recording every note separately. So I actually just would play a note and then record however long I wanted the tone to be. If I wanted it to be longer I'd record longer, for shorter notes I just recorded for a second. And I literally just constructed it note-by-note over a couple of night's time. Thousands of notes. I wanted to make combinations of notes that couldn't be played, I was pretty convinced they couldn't be. So I did that as a stand-alone loop about 8 years ago and a bootleg tape of it got in the hands of buckethead. And nobody told him that I didn't play it, that it was assembled on tape with guitar. And so he tried to sound like that by tapping and based a lot of his style on that tape. So it's Conlon Nancarrow influencing me influencing Buckethead. It became it's own style. But I think it's funny because it was because of a misunderstanding. He didn't know that I didn't play it so he assumed that it could just be played. Well, when I constructed it, I constructed it specifically so it could not be played. And he didn't know that, so he achieved something going (imitates Buckethead playing fast) by tapping them in wide intervals. It's a weird story (laughs)
Anyone who can play something the great Shawn Lane considered unplayable is a major freak...too bad the dude is so obscure.

ilia
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Some odd things.

From his FAQ

15) Which monsters and robots has Buckethead battled?

Buckethead is believed to have fought and defeated Bansheebot, Aquabot, Double Man and Tekadon D. He has also sparred with Slipdisc henchthings such as Centipede Woman, Broiler and Chickenhawk as well as the Haddonfield killer Michael "The Shape" Mey

06) Does Buckethead have any hobbies?

Taxidermy, Sports, Martial Arts (Nunchukas), break dancing (robot-style), and visiting Disneyland. He has been there over 500 times. "I like Disneyland. I want to be buried there--parts of me in It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean, plus parts in Tokyo Disneyland, Euro Disneyland, and Florida Disney World. There are enough bones to go around."

Taxidermy? What th f***?

37) Does Buckethead have any special powers to battle monsters and robots?

Buckethead harnesses the spirits of all the slain and martyred chickens through the chicken bucket on his head. Without it he is helpless.

Buckethead has many special weapons and tactics for battling the monsters and robots in Bucketheadland. His guitar fighting style is well documented in the Temple of Deadly Sonic Arts.

Honestly I'm super freaked out. Even if it is just his sense of humor.

And then this pic

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Think of it as Alice Cooper/Marilyn Manson/Gwar/Slipknot kind of image thing, except that Buckethead is way cooler.

Thanks for posting the Shawn Lane story dex, I was about to mention that. Buckethead is the man...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Very interesting...have to check some stuff out.

I think he's a bit too obscure though...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:29 PM

That Shawn Lane bit really is cool...

Buckethead is strange as hell, but he's got originality, and that's what counts in the business. After seeing a thread about him last night here I had to go home and watch a couple videos I have of him.

Insane.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 AM

I really like the "population override" cd that he put out not too long ago. It features a lot of jamming, and is all instrumental, without any of the annoying goofy Primus-type vocal parts that are on some of his other cd's.
Another one, although completely different, is "Electric Tears". Nothing but guitars, with a mostly clean sound, and really mellow. Some beautiful stuff on that one.
peace

Tags
ebony fretboard , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , les paul , les pauls , shawn lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode