building the church help - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

building the church help

hey all, am currently learning the tapping part to building the church and am having some trouble.

the intro is ok as i can use my left palm to mute excess noise but im getting alot of string buzzing which i cant think of how to mute, the left hand is to busy moving around (in the solo section tapping) to even attempt to mute, and the right hand is busy and also cant mute, so how the hell do you get rid of the string excess noise and get it to sound cleaner?, i would have thought muting the strings at the headstock end with a cloth would work, and it does, but i know that he doesnt use one. i tried rolling off the volume on the guitar to get rid of some but its still not good enough. i was thinking that pehaps steve uses a gate (supresses any noise lower than a certain decibel level) and im sure this also work, but not sure is uses this method.

anyone solved this problem or know how to mute the strings when both hands are moving across the neck?

any help would...help

dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:58 AM

Re: building the church help

I had this problem.

I just practiced until my fingers could hammer the notes harder, so they would be louder than the noise.

I also tried muting in various ways (LH and RH) and that helped, so does using the neck pickup, and less gain.

I have a problem shifting the left hand in the solo bit, though, it makes string noise (just during the bits where your right hand stays where it is) , and I can't figure a way around it.....help me, too!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Re: building the church help

ok man, for those interested ive figured out how its done

Ok its quite subtle but it IS the left hand that mutes the strings to get rid of the unwanted noise, its quite difficult to do and makes it more difficult to tap with the left hand but it works.

Place the left hand with the left side of the palm muting most of the stings (about 6th-3rd/2nd), it does not mute all the strings as this completly screws up the flexibility but it dampens most of the strings that cause the terrible noise, the 3rd finger on the left hand rests on the side of the neck (side facing floor) and the little finger rests just behind that, the thumb is used to support the rest of that hand.

With this position it mutes virtually all of the strings and sound so much cleaner, its a little more difficult at first but practicing the motions and keeping a strict hand position pays off big time. the final hardest is the movment during the solo section, and it is difficult but as long as you practice slow the position changes, and importantly the hand position during the changes, making sure the left hand is in the position i described. all unwanted noise is reduced

good luck man as its a corker when it gets flowing cleanly.

once the hand position is sorted and its clean slow, its just a case of practicing it again and again

dan

Tags
neck pickup , palm muting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode