Can anybody play eugene's trick bag? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Talking Re: Can anybody play eugene's trick bag?

Aha, now this was funny to play!!!!

Learned the whole thing in about an hour or so. Very cool!!
Can't wait to speed it up + distortion, delay and so on! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Re: Can anybody play eugene's trick bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa_boogie_man
Thanks all! I used my JPM P3 going through a Johnson J-Station on the "J Solo" setting directly into Cakewalk.

It seems that once I start to record myself, all the bad notes just seem to show up -- so it only took 60 or so takes (and much cursing along the way) to get a final recording. If I ever get the arpeggios down, I'm just going to splice the recordings together and post a final version.
thats why i hate recording!!!! gimme a show to play in and i can sound 5000000 times better than on any recording that i do! recording equipment ticking away wrecks my playin!!
post #63 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
Well I have got the first arpeggios OK. unfortunately I haven't been able to practice for over a week (busy at work, baby playing up). The last time

The annoying thing is that I was in my local guitar shop, chatting to my tech, and trying out a new EVH Charvel (muchos overpriced BTW), and we were chatting about my progress in learning the piece, and he just starts playing the first bit WHILE HE IS TALKING TO ME. I am going to have to stop going there if I wish to retain any self-esteem.
I really hate that. You finally you got your stuff together and somebody comes along that simply does it better . Makes you want to play more .

Regards

André

post #64 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:54 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
LMFAO That's the funniest thing I've heard this week, and I bet he was grinning whilst he did it too.
Yep, you know it. I must admit I was smiling to. The guy rocks, he plays in a covers band, and gigs all the time. Mention any '70s or '80s rock song and he can pretty much nail it. I am trying to learn new things just to see if he knows them. I am going to start working on Dweezil's version of "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama", I'm sure he doesn't know that yet.

He is a great guy, and also the best tech I have ever used. Not only does he do the best setups, he actually helps with project builds, and he even lends me tools.
post #65 of 111 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I really hate that. You finally you got your stuff together and somebody comes along that simply does it better . Makes you want to play more .

Regards

André
I went home and praticed soooo hard that afternoon, in fact I have worn out a set of strings on my Charvel, and am now destroying a set on my Jem. I have a week off next week, and I am going to spend the entire time practicing, finishing a couple of guitar projects, and trying to get my son into a decent sleeping routine, and doing house work. Basically I'm srewed

The good thing about the trick bag is that it really works alot of core skills. The arpeggios are hard, and because you don't see how they are actually played the fingering is not as straight forward as you might imagine. Once I worked it out, it is relatively easy, but without it it is impossible to get any speed up at all.

I am left handed, but play right handed. My picking has always been my weakest point, this is why I love sweeping soooo much, and why I really need to learn this piece. I was practicising some Gilbert string skipping exercises from an '80s instructional video as a warm down the other day, and I am instantly cleaner and faster.
post #66 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 06:00 PM

I've now added the beginning arpeggios to the part I previously recorded. It's not anywhere near perfect (or as fast and clean as in the movie) but I at least wanted to post what I was somewhat able to play. Now once I get a 29 fret guitar, perhaps I can tackle the last run!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=404246
post #67 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 PM

Talking Re: Can anybody play eugene's trick bag?

awsome job on that
post #68 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Nice job, but you don't need a 29 fret guitar to do the ending. You just have to pick over the pickups is all.
post #69 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 PM

I learned it a few years ago but have since forgotten it and would be very rusty at it. What I feel a great goal is to play it on classical (Like in the beginning of the movie). By the way - is there a transcription of that I can use for classical guitar? What is the history of that song? Would I be best transcribing it myself?
post #70 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 PM

i need to learn this song. already.
post #71 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShawn
I learned it a few years ago but have since forgotten it and would be very rusty at it. What I feel a great goal is to play it on classical (Like in the beginning of the movie). By the way - is there a transcription of that I can use for classical guitar? What is the history of that song? Would I be best transcribing it myself?
I didn't think about the transcript I had received, which was photocopied out of a magazine. Does anyone have that on them handy?
post #72 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 04:45 AM

I use www.guitartabs.cc

It is on there if you search for "eugene".
post #73 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkungfu
awsome job on that
Thanks!
post #74 of 111 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
Nice job, but you don't need a 29 fret guitar to do the ending. You just have to pick over the pickups is all.
or step on my whammy pedal at the very end
post #75 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 04:25 PM

I finally got around to recording the last run on this and I didn't need to use a 29 fret guitar.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=2855271&q=hi

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=2855271&q=lo

Tags
alternate picking , custom guitar , edge pro trem , evh charvel , fret guitar , guitar shop , jack butler , jason becker , local guitar shop , locking nut , neck pickup , picking technique , rusty cooley , solid state amp , steve morse , steve vai , string skipping , sweep picking , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode