Can anybody play eugene's trick bag? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Re: Can anybody play eugene's trick bag?

Sounds great mesa_boogie_man .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl
Sounds great mesa_boogie_man .
+1 very good indeed
post #78 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks IbanezGirl and mi2tom

post #79 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 08:36 PM

Hi I'm having a bit of trouble with a few parts, maybe someone can help me out?

Firstly what fingering do you use between the 5-9 and then the 10th. I was using 1 and 4 for the 5th and 9th fret and then jumping to my 2nd finger for the 10th fret. This is not workin too good for me.

Am
-----------------8-12-8--------------|
--------------10--------10-----------|
----------5-9--------------9-5-------|
--------7----------------------7-----|
------7------------------------------|
--5h8----------------------------5-8-|

Secondly this part is really bugging me. I used to be able to play this AGES ago and it sounded identical to the original. Now I've tried using my 3rd and 1st finger and also my 2nd and 1st finger, but I can't reproduce the sound.

E
-----16-------14-------12-------10-------9------7-----5-----4----|
--17----17/15----15/14----14/12----12/10---10/9---9/7---7/5---5-|
------------------------------------------------------------------ |

Any pointers or advice on either part MUCH appreaciated. Will upload a video if I ever nail it. Thanks.
post #80 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
Isn't it Ry Cooder who recorded Eugene's Trick Bag, not Vai?
Nope, that one was Vai. He said he did that one in an interview, and it's not really Ry Cooder's style either.
post #81 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Am
-----------------8-12-8--------------|
--------------10--------10-----------|
----------5-9--------------9-5-------|
--------7----------------------7-----|
------7------------------------------|
--5h8----------------------------5-8-|

i use 1st for the 5 , 2nd for the 9 and 3rd for the 10. thats just the easist way i have worked it out, i figure you have to move sometime
post #82 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa_boogie_man
I finally got around to recording the last run on this and I didn't need to use a 29 fret guitar.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=2855271&q=hi

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=2855271&q=lo
I've heard a lot of people atempt this and basicly trip over their own fingers. I thought your version was realy nice. I thought you managed to capture some of the actual performance of the piece rather than it just being a "parrot fashion" technical exercise.

Nice job mate !

Ben
post #83 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Wow nice! Puts me to shame. I did this piece (and Always with me, Always with you) for my Music AS Level practical. Mine was nowhere near as fluid, but I put that down to nerves lol!

Well done, now I'm going to smeg off and slog my guts out getting it perfect!

*Salutes*

~M
post #84 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 PM

you should watch the watch marshall harrison plays it. on the open string part he hybrid picks. he does hybrid picking on a couple of the arpeggios too.

http://www.marshallharrison.com/free...%20CrossHD.wmv
post #85 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney3
you should watch the watch marshall harrison plays it. on the open string part he hybrid picks. he does hybrid picking on a couple of the arpeggios too.

http://www.marshallharrison.com/free...%20CrossHD.wmv

oh GOD on that one LOL
post #86 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 PM

Bezial why not try doing this for that one..

-------------------8-12h8---------------|
----------------10--------10------------|
--------------9--------------9----------|
-----------10------------------10-------|
------7h12-----------------------12-7---|
--5h8---------------------------------8-7|

seems like that might be easier, since the part from 12 on the A string up and down is the easiest shape to play an arpeggio.
post #87 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM

this is one of the first songs i ever learned...well smoke on the water and louie louie being the very first ones.

anyway, i have the entire thing down but this is something i recorded for a CD a few years back. took main part and played it a little slower and then had fun with delay. if your timing is off while playing, it gets all messed up. relatively easy to do. then i added a basic tapping thing at the end.

- jack butler's gonna like you......

www.steverotter.com/Pag.mp3
post #88 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 06:11 PM

wow, great idea there steve, thanks
post #89 of 111 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 PM

Hey guys, just registered.

Been playing for little over three years and realized I need a SERIOUS check on my technique, as I just play along to CDs and haven't done any serious exercise routines in a long long time.

I remembered trying to tackle this song back in my first few months and now revisited it. I've been trying to learn it for about a week now and looking at the posts I've picked up great hints. Namely using alternate picking for the arpeggios at the start instead of the mix between sweep and alternate I was doing till now.

And kudos to mesaboogieman, that was simply the best non-professional cover I've heard. Totally envy that guitar tone, makes me want to play more!

With that said (hehe sorry for the rant), just need three little tips that puzzle me:

During the fourth arpeggio in the first section of the song I have a LOT of issues connecting the D and F on the G string. I normally try to slide my way up but unless I'm playing it with a clean setting it will cause a nasty clash with the following A on the B string. Haven't been able to figure this one out yet, any tips?

My second other problem is during the 5th caprice section, it's the fourth bar of that particular part of the song and it goes G-B-D on the D, G and B strings respectively. I can't figure out how to tackle this one either, regardless of wether I alternate or sweep (my sweep is rather sloppy) I always seem to miss the B, even at slow speeds.

My third problem is with the diminished scale at the end of the legato section . Again my hand just magically misses the strings! This is easily the hardest part to me so any help would be apreciated

That being said my alternate picking is rather sloppy, as I just developed speed without even worrying on how to hold the pick. Trying to work on that one but it's a bad habit I've been carrying a long time hehe. My sweep picking isn't good either.

For extra info I play it at about 70-80 BPM, hope to be able to do it fully up to speed in a few more months.
I can get an audio sample too if it helps

It's a very frustrating part but it just feels nice to play. To anyone who can play it even half as well as Mr. Vai you have my sincere applause!

Sorry for the long post, just like to ramble a bit.
post #90 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Diggin up this oldie!...I still try to work up the chops on this ditty. I had the original transcription from 87 in Guitar School's first issue...wish I still had it, because even though Guitar World published it back in 2002, they don't include "Butler's Bag", the part that rips in right after the dude says "Jack Butler's gonna like you"...the WHOLE thing was transcribed in the 87 issue.

I find the online versions lacking, though...does anybody have the 87 issue scan of the whole song? I'd really appreciate it.

Kudos to the boogieman, that sounded great. Who cares if it's not completely up to speed, it's actually very close. And the tone was great!...what effects were used? I hear some slight delay and chorus in the Caprice section...I find delay makes me sound sloppier. And did I hear a whammy pedal bend in the ending?..cool.

Anybody help out?..thanks!

Tags
alternate picking , custom guitar , edge pro trem , evh charvel , fret guitar , guitar shop , jack butler , jason becker , local guitar shop , locking nut , neck pickup , picking technique , rusty cooley , solid state amp , steve morse , steve vai , string skipping , sweep picking , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode