Can anybody play eugene's trick bag? - Page 7 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 AM

Re: Can anybody play eugene's trick bag?

Here's an exersise I made to practice alt picking and sweeping through arpegios and it is very very effective.

Put a slap back echo on, so you play a note and it immediantley echo's and set the speed sortof low. Each echo represents the quarter beats.

Now pick through an arpegio at the speed of the echo, each echo will be a minor third below the note you're playing, so if you go too fast or slow you'll know, now speed up the echo and up etc until your playing comfortably at a decent speed.

This type of phrasing works best.

-------------------8-12 8---------------|
----------------10--------10------------|
--------------9--------------9----------|
-----------10------------------10-------|
--------12-----------------------12-----|
----------------------------------------|

You can then turn down the speed a bit and play 16ths and triplets works well also.

Hope that was clear enough. It's alot easy than just playing with a metronome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM

atarilovesyou, i just checked my mags and i have a version from Guitar School's '89 mag. Let me know if this is the version you are after......here's what they say....."Butler's Bag" - Soloing Off Chords....."Headcuttin' Duel" -A trading Licks Duel...."Eugene's Trick Bag" -Steve's Arpeggio Treat......So, here it is in it's entirety,except for segment where Jack Butler tries in vain to recreate the classical licks from "Eugene's Trick Bag".
post #93 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarilovesyou View Post

Anybody help out?..thanks!
Yeah I can - http://www.bandmerch.com/java2/BandM...p&product=1898

Asking for scans of copyrighted material is going to get you in trouble with the admins.
post #94 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Reviews: 6

I actually use alternate picking for the opening parts. I've never been good at sweeping so I've learned to do alternate picking really well to compensate.
post #95 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I was amazed to see this topic back! I gave up on the piece to learn the real 5th capriccio, which I of course haven't

But I remember that with long hours spent studying the opening one could alternate pick the arpeggios...
post #96 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost View Post
I gave up on the piece
Oh bummer Wis! when I saw your post in this year and a half old thread I thought you had finally gotten it down and were posting a vid of your success

I was gonna compliment you on your patience and "stick-to-it-tiv-ness"
post #97 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I actually got it to an acceptable level but not as acceptable as I would like As I said the main reason I dropped the peace was my bigger ambition - the play all of the 24 caprices on guitar which will prove quite a challenge when I am ready to embrace that challenge. For the time being I'm concentrating on the Four Seasons.

I promise I won't give up on this
post #98 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
For the time being I'm concentrating on the Four Seasons.
- Strange you should say that
post #99 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Why Jim? Is it technical difficulties or the song selection?
post #100 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Yeah I can - http://www.bandmerch.com/java2/BandM...p&product=1898

Asking for scans of copyrighted material is going to get you in trouble with the admins.
....my bad, but the photocopy was of a 20 year old magazine, I thought perhaps it wouldn't be noticed by the powers that be..lol!...seriously though, I have that Vai book in the link and the version they have of Eugene's Bag isn't the same as the movie...which I knew, but bought anyway..it's a great book!
post #101 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:

For the time being I'm concentrating on the Four Seasons.

I promise I won't give up on this
Which part are you learning, winter, 3rd movement transcribes very well onto guitar.
post #102 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm actually doing all of the 12 pieces... some parts are hopelessly hard on guitar on some pieces but I'll manage it in the end and post it all here
post #103 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
atarilovesyou, i just checked my mags and i have a version from Guitar School's '89 mag. Let me know if this is the version you are after......here's what they say....."Butler's Bag" - Soloing Off Chords....."Headcuttin' Duel" -A trading Licks Duel...."Eugene's Trick Bag" -Steve's Arpeggio Treat......So, here it is in it's entirety,except for segment where Jack Butler tries in vain to recreate the classical licks from "Eugene's Trick Bag".

..thanks Ibanezgirl, I sent you a pm. Sounds like it's what I'm looking for! If you have some other mags you wanna get rid of let me know what ya got. I'm trying to find a few songs in particular that I just can't find.
post #104 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I'm actually doing all of the 12 pieces... some parts are hopelessly hard on guitar on some pieces but I'll manage it in the end and post it all here
Good luck remembering 40 minutes of music then

I've learnt most of it over a long period of time but I only remember winter 1st and 3rd movement properly.
post #105 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 AM

I'm just curious....people say eugenes trickbag was recorded in Eflat and then tweaked up to E....what would the point of that be ?

Would it be easier to play like this ( i imagine the strings would be very slightly looser...i would de-tune my guitar to find out but have an edge pro trem!)

Or perhaps pitching up after recording would make it sound slightly faster..was that the intention ?

Interestingly when vai plays his fast picking part after 'the kid' he appears to play it 'live' as his picking exactly matches the films audio...also vai's part is slightly slower than the kids...not by alot but it is slower.

The fast alternate picked section played by 'the kid' is at 147bpm while vai's version is 142

Last edited by Ibanezer_hi; 02-05-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added info

Tags
alternate picking , custom guitar , edge pro trem , evh charvel , fret guitar , guitar shop , jack butler , jason becker , local guitar shop , locking nut , neck pickup , picking technique , rusty cooley , solid state amp , steve morse , steve vai , string skipping , sweep picking , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode