Carlos Santana? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Carlos Santana?

This thread is prompted because I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop (jemste), VSBL next to me, glass of gin, & I'm watching the American Music Awards and Carlos Santana comes out doing a song with Los Lonely Boys. Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same! Is it just my opinion or is he over-rated? I don't know if I've ever seen him play a single chord!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 PM

Re: Carlos Santana?

don't pick on carlos. he's made a career out of 5 licks. let's see YOU do that

~k
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same!
That is why i never really like santana
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM

I'm a fan of his older stuff (i.e Black Magic Woman, Samba Pa Ti), but not really of his more recent work. He's very good, but doesn't really show it much these days. He's twice as popular than Vai, Satch for collaborating with pop artists like Michelle Branch.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 PM

BUT if it wasn't for Europa, would Tender Surrender exist?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

I know I could come up with 5 licks that are just as good as his! My problem starts when I have to keep soloing over different chord progressions. Need to study music more.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 AM

Ummm - I'm not a giant Santana fan (actually I'd rather sit in the garden and watch the grass growing), but couldn't the same criticism be laid at the feet of Chuck Berry, or Kieth Richards? Most of my friends who don't play guitar reckon every Satriani song sounds the same..... and every Malmsteen song DOES sound the same!!

It's not the riffs - they don't make songs, they embellish and enhance them - no normal person walks out of a gig singing the guitar breaks! Santana HAS written some seriously good songs... just, um, can't think of any of them right now ....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
don't pick on carlos. he's made a career out of 5 licks. let's see YOU do that

~k
Really 5 licks? That many? He must have learned some more since his Woodstock performance back in 1969 where I only heard one the rest was noise.

Regards

André

Last edited by fettouhi; 11-23-2005 at 03:08 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 AM

I think it's more the case of him slipping into a sort of a comfort zone for the last x years, where he can just go by the fact that he is Carlos Santana, play the same thing over and over and it works.

He released a number of interesting albums in the early 70s, some of which were leaning heavily into jazz-fusion (Caravanserai; Love Devotion Surrender with John McLaughlin). Anyone who can sit in whith JohnnyMac definately has more than 5 licks up their sleave. And I disagree on the Woodstock performance, sure there was only one lick, but the amount of sheer energy coming from that band was something else completely. Both Carlos' and Michael Shrieve's solo are rock music history for me.

I do agree that most of his recent stuff was a bit blah...Some of his best relatively recent guitar work was on John Lee Hooker's "The Healer" IMO.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM

I don't know his performance at Woodstock is for me at least pure horror. True they seemed very into it. But Jimi's Woodstock performance is ..... WOW.

Regards

André

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
I think it's more the case of him slipping into a sort of a comfort zone for the last x years, where he can just go by the fact that he is Carlos Santana, play the same thing over and over and it works.

He released a number of interesting albums in the early 70s, some of which were leaning heavily into jazz-fusion (Caravanserai; Love Devotion Surrender with John McLaughlin). Anyone who can sit in whith JohnnyMac definately has more than 5 licks up their sleave. And I disagree on the Woodstock performance, sure there was only one lick, but the amount of sheer energy coming from that band was something else completely. Both Carlos' and Michael Shrieve's solo are rock music history for me.

I do agree that most of his recent stuff was a bit blah...Some of his best relatively recent guitar work was on John Lee Hooker's "The Healer" IMO.
I totally agree with you on this.

Santana has most definately slipped into a comfort zone. I love his playing, especially the era where he played with Jeff Beck, that stuff still astounds me to this day. I've heard a track called lotus blues, if you haven't heard it you should most definately check it out.

I still have great respect for the guy. But he seems to be resting on his laurels these days. Would love to hear some guitar oriented stuff from his like the old days.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
This thread is prompted because I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop (jemste), VSBL next to me, glass of gin, & I'm watching the American Music Awards and Carlos Santana comes out doing a song with Los Lonely Boys. Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same! Is it just my opinion or is he over-rated? I don't know if I've ever seen him play a single chord!
Alot of people might make similar comments, or worse about Steve Vai.

Get over the Santana hate already ...glen
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM

The guy's sick tone more than makes up for his lack of variety.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 02:50 AM

A little bit of Carlos goes a long way....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 04:49 AM

yeah thats true a little bit of Carlos does go along way... personally id rather go to a 25 minute santana jam than a 2 hour malmsteen concert... because you know after a while all that distortion becomes a bother.

Tags
chord progression , chord progressions , jeff beck , john mclaughlin , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode