Carlos Santana? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 1,934
Carlos Santana?

This thread is prompted because I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop (jemste), VSBL next to me, glass of gin, & I'm watching the American Music Awards and Carlos Santana comes out doing a song with Los Lonely Boys. Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same! Is it just my opinion or is he over-rated? I don't know if I've ever seen him play a single chord!
rickcard71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 PM
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
Re: Carlos Santana?

don't pick on carlos. he's made a career out of 5 licks. let's see YOU do that

~k
kennydoe is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:58 PM
 
mi2tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 7,559
Re: Carlos Santana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same!
That is why i never really like santana
mi2tom is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 2,445
Re: Carlos Santana?

I'm a fan of his older stuff (i.e Black Magic Woman, Samba Pa Ti), but not really of his more recent work. He's very good, but doesn't really show it much these days. He's twice as popular than Vai, Satch for collaborating with pop artists like Michelle Branch.
King Knall is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 PM
 
kennydoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,422
Re: Carlos Santana?

BUT if it wasn't for Europa, would Tender Surrender exist?
kennydoe is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 1,934
Re: Carlos Santana?

I know I could come up with 5 licks that are just as good as his! My problem starts when I have to keep soloing over different chord progressions. Need to study music more.
rickcard71 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: Carlos Santana?

Ummm - I'm not a giant Santana fan (actually I'd rather sit in the garden and watch the grass growing), but couldn't the same criticism be laid at the feet of Chuck Berry, or Kieth Richards? Most of my friends who don't play guitar reckon every Satriani song sounds the same..... and every Malmsteen song DOES sound the same!!

It's not the riffs - they don't make songs, they embellish and enhance them - no normal person walks out of a gig singing the guitar breaks! Santana HAS written some seriously good songs... just, um, can't think of any of them right now ....
David McCarroll is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,952
Re: Carlos Santana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
don't pick on carlos. he's made a career out of 5 licks. let's see YOU do that

~k
Really 5 licks? That many? He must have learned some more since his Woodstock performance back in 1969 where I only heard one the rest was noise.

Regards

André




Last edited by fettouhi; 11-23-2005 at 03:08 AM.
fettouhi is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 2,674
Re: Carlos Santana?

I think it's more the case of him slipping into a sort of a comfort zone for the last x years, where he can just go by the fact that he is Carlos Santana, play the same thing over and over and it works.

He released a number of interesting albums in the early 70s, some of which were leaning heavily into jazz-fusion (Caravanserai; Love Devotion Surrender with John McLaughlin). Anyone who can sit in whith JohnnyMac definately has more than 5 licks up their sleave. And I disagree on the Woodstock performance, sure there was only one lick, but the amount of sheer energy coming from that band was something else completely. Both Carlos' and Michael Shrieve's solo are rock music history for me.

I do agree that most of his recent stuff was a bit blah...Some of his best relatively recent guitar work was on John Lee Hooker's "The Healer" IMO.
pawel is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,952
Re: Carlos Santana?

I don't know his performance at Woodstock is for me at least pure horror. True they seemed very into it. But Jimi's Woodstock performance is ..... WOW.

Regards

André



fettouhi is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 462
Re: Carlos Santana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
I think it's more the case of him slipping into a sort of a comfort zone for the last x years, where he can just go by the fact that he is Carlos Santana, play the same thing over and over and it works.

He released a number of interesting albums in the early 70s, some of which were leaning heavily into jazz-fusion (Caravanserai; Love Devotion Surrender with John McLaughlin). Anyone who can sit in whith JohnnyMac definately has more than 5 licks up their sleave. And I disagree on the Woodstock performance, sure there was only one lick, but the amount of sheer energy coming from that band was something else completely. Both Carlos' and Michael Shrieve's solo are rock music history for me.

I do agree that most of his recent stuff was a bit blah...Some of his best relatively recent guitar work was on John Lee Hooker's "The Healer" IMO.
I totally agree with you on this.

Santana has most definately slipped into a comfort zone. I love his playing, especially the era where he played with Jeff Beck, that stuff still astounds me to this day. I've heard a track called lotus blues, if you haven't heard it you should most definately check it out.

I still have great respect for the guy. But he seems to be resting on his laurels these days. Would love to hear some guitar oriented stuff from his like the old days.
Chris From Singapore. is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 AM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,479
Reviews: 1
Re: Carlos Santana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71
This thread is prompted because I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop (jemste), VSBL next to me, glass of gin, & I'm watching the American Music Awards and Carlos Santana comes out doing a song with Los Lonely Boys. Santana starts playing and it sounds like every other song he plays on, he just solos over every song & it always sounds the same! Is it just my opinion or is he over-rated? I don't know if I've ever seen him play a single chord!
Alot of people might make similar comments, or worse about Steve Vai.

Get over the Santana hate already ...glen
jemsite is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,502
Re: Carlos Santana?

The guy's sick tone more than makes up for his lack of variety.
Jeff is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 02:50 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 98
Re: Carlos Santana?

A little bit of Carlos goes a long way....
badwamajama is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 04:49 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1
Re: Carlos Santana?

yeah thats true a little bit of Carlos does go along way... personally id rather go to a 25 minute santana jam than a 2 hour malmsteen concert... because you know after a while all that distortion becomes a bother.
jacojimi is offline  
Reply

Tags
chord progression , chord progressions , jeff beck , john mclaughlin , steve vai

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Return of Carlos Vamos newbieguitarmaker Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 5 04-04-2008 12:44 PM
Hung out with Carlos Mencia GilkyBear Off-topic / Miscellaneous 7 03-14-2008 07:03 PM
Another Carlos Vamos video newbieguitarmaker Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 3 02-01-2008 08:17 PM
weird thing carlos vamos did newbieguitarmaker All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 1 04-29-2007 06:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome