Check this out....the key color scheme?? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Check this out....the key color scheme??

i was reasearching prometheous for a school project and i came across this. its about this guy called Scriabin who apparently was a musician and put a feeling and color for every tonality....i havent had a chance to read much about him for i am in the middle of a school project but i find this chart extremely interesting. anyone who knows more about the subject please be kind enough to ellucidate.

i would like to know what u all think of it

Cheers

heres the key color scheme
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/1077/color.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 AM

Interesting, though I've always seen D as green and happy/elated, E as blue and intense, A as red and angry, F as purple and dark/depressed, B as orange and unstable, C as yellow and somber, and G as pink and transcendent.

Works for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 08:53 AM

I see G as the color Green, and I think G sounds very country.

F#/Gb has a very distict tone to me too. Its very buzzing, and twangy.

It seems no matter how well a guitar is set up, that the F#/Gb note buzzes somewhat.......check it out in various spots of your fretboard, see if you see what I mean.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:22 AM

I see swirls and chronic insomnia playing in the background

oooooh, pretty colours!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 AM

There are many different schemes described by those who experience "colour hearing", which is a form of synestheisa:

http://www.library.yale.edu/~mkoth/keychar.htm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Alexander Scriabin is one of my favorite composers. If you have not heard his 5th and 9th piano sonatas or Prometheus, you should. As always, Sviotislav Richter is the pianist you want to hear play them.

As was mentioned, color hearing is an instance of synesthesia - concomitant sensation. The most famous cases of this sort are Rimsky-Korsakov and Scriabin. Prometheus is the ultimate synesthetic piece as it was meant to be played on a color piano that projected colors.

The basis for Prometheus and many other works by Scriabin is what he called the Mystic Chord. It's a dominant 9 with a sharp 11. It is set-class 6-34 in Forte's list (013579).

Scriabin was a very interesting man with a remarkable life. If you are at all interested in late romantic music, piano music, atonality, russia or polyrhythmic music, you should do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with the man.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 02:06 AM

Listen to the tapes and CDs made by David Lucas Burge about perfect pitch and colorhearing. It's actually quite interesting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode