Check out my attempt... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Check out my attempt...

This is my attempt at recording a song on my outdated unoptimized P.O.S. computer and toneport ux2 w/podfarm. I am using Reaper and some vsti/vst plugins.

I'm also using (1) 6-string guitar, (1) 4-string bass, (1) midi keyboard and a cheap ass samson R11 (sm58 clone) mic.

Does this suck? Should I give up?

Even if the content sucks....does the recording itself sound OK?

Or does it suck as well?

http://guitarmatrix.mooo.com/YBTM.wav
http://guitarmatrix.mooo.com/YBTM.mp3

I need your help...help me improve my recordings. I can't seem to make much more progress on my own and need some feedback from some people.

Tell me what you think...I'm open to suggestions and criticism.

Any feedback is appreciated...good or bad.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Reviews: 37
Re: Check out my attempt...

Pink Floyd meets Marylin Manson, nice. I like it. Are you using Line Six podfarm for the guitar sound only? Sounds great.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

I recorded unprocessed/clean guitar and bass tracks. Then used podfarm for the tones. There are two guitar tracks panned left and right. One bass track centered.

For the vocals I used a mic preamp model included with the ux2. I wish I would have recorded those unprocessed as well. There are two vocal tracks and they are panned left and right as well.

Everything has EQ on it (mostly high and low pass) in an attempt to make room within the mix for all of the instruments...including vocals.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best to answer them.

As I said before, I'm open to any feedback...good or bad.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Not bad at all! A lot better than what I have done with mine! I'm still trying to figure out the UX2 and Reaper...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you jaxadam!

You should spend some more time with reaper and the ux2. If I can do it...you certainly can. I'm willing to share what I know....including presets/tones/templates, etc.

I still need to add a solo type thing to it....but wasn't sure if it was worth the time.

Anyway, hopefully more people will comment.

These threads never seem to do well....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Hub

Sounds good! The guitars sound a little digital to me, but I guess that's just the way it is with these stuff... Cool song idea though!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Hub - Thanks!!!

I tried to dial out the fizz/digital as much as I could....I think it's the nature of the beast. Nothing sounds like a good tube amp mic'd up in a proper room. I've even tried cabinet impulses with limited success.

Having said that, I know there are those that have done better with similar tools. I am open to suggestion on how to improve that or any other aspect of my recordings (buying new gear is not an option at this point). So..any ideas? I'd be interested to hear from you guys about this....even if it includes new/different equipment.

I know there are some super talented people here @ Jemsite...Thanks for checking out my stuff. I need and appreciate your help and feedback!!!

As always, thanks for taking the time to listen.

Last edited by S-man; 01-09-2010 at 07:03 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 37

I use this it's pretty simple.
http://www.jemsite.com/compare-softw...ne-6-/reviews/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
Sounds like you really like it. Podfarm is essentially gearbox with a fancier interface. I actually wish I had the gearbox plugin as opposed to podfarm. It uses less computer resources and has better compatibility with/between my toneport ux2 and podxtl. Some tones cannot be shared between them. I have gearbox as well...but it is standalone only.

And...one of the things that gets under my skin, is the fact that I can't use podfarm standalone with the podxtl. That is my biggest complaint with my line6 stuff... lack of compatibility between the devices. I wish I could use just gearbox or just podfarm. I'd be happy with either (even though podfarm uses more resources).

But for the money...it's hard to beat. IMHO.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM

Reviews: 2

Well done S man......Wall era Pink Floyd mixed with Heaven and Hell era Black Sabbath, with a touch of NIN for good measure. Good stuff man.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM

The vocals definitely need more presence in the mix. The idea is that each instrument should have its own niche on the EQ spectrum, with boosts and cuts in other places depending on the desired sound.

Also, rather than having reverb on all the instruments (even if they are identical guitars), reduce or even get rid of the reverb on all tracks and add a master reverb to the entire mix. Same goes for compression and EQ.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words uberthrall. Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and NIN....all sounds good to me! Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
The vocals definitely need more presence in the mix. The idea is that each instrument should have its own niche on the EQ spectrum, with boosts and cuts in other places depending on the desired sound.

Also, rather than having reverb on all the instruments (even if they are identical guitars), reduce or even get rid of the reverb on all tracks and add a master reverb to the entire mix. Same goes for compression and EQ.
How should I go about adding more presence to the vocals? I have tried to carve out spots in the spectrum for each instrument.

As far as running a EQ on the master...Don't I need separate eq on all of the tracks as well?

I already have compression on the master...so hopefully that is just a matter of adjustment.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
Thanks for the kind words uberthrall. Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and NIN....all sounds good to me! Sweet!

How should I go about adding more presence to the vocals? I have tried to carve out spots in the spectrum for each instrument.

As far as running a EQ on the master...Don't I need separate eq on all of the tracks as well?

I already have compression on the master...so hopefully that is just a matter of adjustment.

Yes, you would probably need EQ on all tracks but don't over do it. for vocal presence boost it around 4k and brighten around 7-8k. Remember too, gentle boosts, hard cuts. For the master, I like to do a small cut around 800k.

I'm no professional by any means, but I found that this works for me.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

C.Thep - Thanks for following up and your advice. I'm going to try the things you suggested when I remix this...adding some kinda solo thing.

It's hard finding unbiased input...I appreciate everyone's comments!

And just to make things more interesting...can you tell a difference between the wav file and mp3?

http://guitarmatrix.mooo.com/YBTM.wav
http://guitarmatrix.mooo.com/YBTM.mp3
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
Well done S man......Wall era Pink Floyd mixed with Heaven and Hell era Black Sabbath, with a touch of NIN for good measure. Good stuff man.
But... to be honest, it wasn't my intention. It just turned out that way (accident?). Who knows? we are all influenced, to some degree, by what we listen to.

Regardless, thanks for actually listening to my stuff.

Last edited by S-man; 01-10-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: duplication

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode