check out my cover for Vai's "Sisters" - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

check out my cover for Vai's "Sisters"

Ah well..its weekend and i have time to mess around with my new JEM :lol. anyway, trying to cover this great tune by Mr. Vai, hope you guys like it, and ofcuz, let me know what u think.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000010363.mp3

Do a "save as"

hope u enjoy

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 11:54 PM

fantastic! Great tone, how'd you get it?

There's nothing quite like a hanban cover before bed to melt away the troubles of the day!

Great work.

There's only one thing though that I'd like to suggest. You have great phrasing, great tone, and great technique, but when you're recording, try not to make the fact that your using multiple lead tracks evident. ie/0:54, or 1:26. I don't mean the doubling of the guitars, just when you use another track to continue the lead solo, and let the first continue to ring out while the next guitar is already a'going. try not to let the listener hear that too often, as it can break the continuity, or at least, distract the listener. there are however certainly times when it works quite well.

That's more of a recording tip than a playing tip of course, your playing doesn't need much work

Anyhoo, that really is just a minor gripe. Your a great guitarist, and hearing your covers is always a treat for me! All around an A+ from me!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

hey davester! thank you so much for those kind words.. im glad you like it , your comments means alot! especially when it comes from a great guitar player and cover maker!

Thanks for those recording tips, its true that at some point the "blend" needed more work. still working on it

the tone is just a tone you cant escape from when u have a 7vwh just put the pickup selctor on the 4th position.. add a tuch of reverb and u can have the same effect.
i think the secret for getting that "sisters" sound is not to use any effect . just a dry clean sound trough an amp with some ambiance mics. in my case i recorded it direct, so i had to put some reverb to simulate an amp

Thanks again
!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:19 AM

Is the 4th position the neck humbucker and the middle single coil or the bridge humbucker and the middle single coil?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
Is the 4th position the neck humbucker and the middle single coil or the bridge humbucker and the middle single coil?
That would be the combination of the middle pickup and a single coil from the neck humbucker.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 04:49 PM

nice playing hanban! , tone needs a little work but nice playing
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 07:22 PM

awesome work
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:15 PM

It's official....I now hate you. I don't want to but you've forced me into it.

You completely and totally rock. Love your stuff.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:05 PM

Wicked cover man, I been waiting a long time for someone to put up a cover of Sisters, one my favourite Vai songs. So by Davesters comment I assume this has multiple lead tracks to allow you to perfect it? thats cool, you should post a one take version as well. Its just that I like raw stuff if that makes sense. Great job man, I would like to hear more people cover Sisters.

Oh yeah how does everyone play it? do you fingerpick it or hybrid pick, I was taught to finger pick it but hybrid picking is better for picking the harmonics etc(pick makes them clearer).
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 01:52 AM

Sisters is a great song, I love it. Looking forward to listening to your version. Sadly I'm on a modem so this just takes forever...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 AM

That's not really a cover, that's the same thing, note for note. "Cover" assumes that you change something.

Pretty freaking amazing, I've never heard anyone play this particular tune this good (except for Vai himself).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Guys, Thanks ALOT for your feedback, i cant tell you how important it is for me that you guys take the time , download and give your feedback.

Thanks rl^^, l8r, Anton for your feedbacks!

Sativa: there are parts of this song wich are meant to be played with fingers, and there are parts you need to play with a pick. what it did just holing the pick in the base of my palm, that allowes you to switch from fingers/pick pretty fast. i just listened to the song and figured out whats a pick and whats fingers..

Thanks again.

Joel Lyndgohrd, thanks bro for downloading even if you have dial up
appreciate it.

microdmitry, you are too kind, really. thanks a bunch for those kind words.

cheers
David
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 07:29 AM

kol haiom bejemsite ha?

hehe
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 AM

Another Hanban classic.....dude, your playing is fantastic as always. I will put this song in the Hanban folder with the rest of your songs. Please keep'em comin'....I love to hear you play.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:36 PM

incredible work man

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , neck humbucker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode