chops versus age - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

chops versus age

as we get older (beyond late 30s) our physical potential peaks and begins to decline

has anyone hear noted any changes to their playing ability as they age?

obviously we're not using large muscle groups or boosting our heart rates much, but I guess it would make some kind of sense that our chops should start to suffer with age at some point. any idea when?

it's something I would love to hear put to the pros out there, but I've never heard it asked or addressed in an interview. has anyone seen this topic discussed?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: chops versus age

Mine have definitely gone with age, but it's not my "physical" age that's the issue, it's the lack of practice time. Parenthood, more demanding jobs and general "being a grown up" are what have taken the biggest toll on my guitar playing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Absolutely not, Jono is right, it's down to lack of playing time and it takes longer to warm up as you get older but you'll find the speed is still there if you put the time in.
jono likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM

Reviews: 21

I too agree it's practice time more than age. I'm 44 and probably play the best I ever have. The last few years though have been about playing to maintain ability as I only get a few hours here and there to play. I've been trying to write new material lately but it's a tough slog. Sometimes I'll play for a few hours and won't be able to pick up a guitar again for 3-4 days.
And, yeah, I have young kids - and other big responsibilities.
I do have psoriasis though and dread the possibility of it becoming arthritic. I can feel it creeping into the pinky on my right hand; the finger I use least really. Maybe playing actually keeps that at bay. I hope.
I do notice I need to take longer to warm up. I can't really jump into anything uptempo cold, though my biggest problem there is the pick slipping out of my grip more than dexterity in my left hand.
oliver_p likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

great replies guys. interesting to hear your experiences. keep them coming -thanks
mike570 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:04 AM

I saw a clip on Facebook where Flavor Flav is playing a piano and the comments say "wow! Flav can play all these instruments! Who knew?" Really though is it a surprise? Making music is their main gig so they have a lot of time to devote to practice. I also follow Moby and, same thing, he plays a bunch of instruments well, especially the drums. But Moby isn't punching a 9-5 time clock either in a regular job and finding time to practice. He can practice for hours on end.
I could probably play as well as Paul Gilbert if I could play guitar ALL day. Okay, maybe not....
But still...
One thing though while it might seem cool to us all the traveling they do - I don't envy them for that. That's gotta be double tough with touring being such a necessity for these folks now and being away from their families for so long.
But I think it's definitely the time one gets to put in on the instrument. Look at Pat Martino. Dude had a stroke and forgot how to play and all about his career at 36, after being a well established jazz guitarist. Pat had to relearn to play and at 74 is still an astounding jazz player.
And Holdsworth was still Holdsworth even at the end.
abracadabra likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I read somewhere a joke that touring musicians get paid to travel around in buses/stay in hotels and that in their spare time they get to play on stage in front of adoring fans (which they do for free).

I'm really glad to hear these responses. I had wondered if progress was slow(er) because of age, but I had forgotten about the practice-time element, even though I've been able to up my practice a lot recently.

would still be interested to hear if anyone's heard the pros (the older ones) being asked this question though. Paul Gilbert isn't going to play as fast at 90, surely! (still faster than me though ;-)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:54 AM

I am 31 and I have 24 years of guitar playing under my belt. I kinda feel like I lost a bit of speed, stamina and strength throughout the last 5 years but I guess that`s just because I do not play as much as I did 10 years ago.

That being said, I still feel like I am a way better guitar player than years ago because my musicality has increased in almost every genre and my chops are still on a pretty high level. I guess the decrease of guitar playing ability in general might kick in after 60 or even later (even for a very technical shredder). The physical and psychological state matters, so working out (focused on stamina rather than pure muscles) and psychological fitness helps a lot in this regard!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:57 PM

I had a chance to meet Steve Vai a few years ago (a gift from my wonderful wife) and he said that he was finding new ways to perform parts of his songs as "my figures don't move the same as they did when I wrote them". He admitted openly to age and "mileage" playing a factor. I've noticed in my own playing that my reach isn't what it used to be and my fingers aren't as strong. I've been experimenting with scalloped fretboards (lighter touch to fret the notes) and shorter scale lengths (less space to span) which I feel really help me out. I'm also working on my right hand technique more to add the illusion of speed.
mike570 and abracadabra like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitfunky View Post
I had a chance to meet Steve Vai a few years ago (a gift from my wonderful wife) and he said that he was finding new ways to perform parts of his songs as "my figures don't move the same as they did when I wrote them". He admitted openly to age and "mileage" playing a factor. I've noticed in my own playing that my reach isn't what it used to be and my fingers aren't as strong. I've been experimenting with scalloped fretboards (lighter touch to fret the notes) and shorter scale lengths (less space to span) which I feel really help me out. I'm also working on my right hand technique more to add the illusion of speed.

I currently play mostly 25.5in Fenders and Ibanezes, so basically what you're saying is, as I get older I will have an excuse to start buying Les Pauls? ;-)

That's interesting about Vai though. Thanks for posting. I assumed it would be the case, or would become one at some point. I think I'm still below my 'peak' potential so I feel there is still some room to improve, even as I get older, but I like the idea that there are ways to mitigate loss of performance later in life.
mike570 likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post

I currently play mostly 25.5in Fenders and Ibanezes, so basically what you're saying is, as I get older I will have an excuse to start buying Les Pauls? ;-)
When I started playing I was all about RG's with Wizard 1 / Super Wizard necks, 9's for strings, and trems.
I still play those but I'm a lot more about fixed bridge, using 10's, and thicker necks too. And I love the thicker necks on the AZ and Fireman. The Fireman neck is LP scale so I can see that kind of.
I guess tastes age too?
I still dig super shreddy neon RG's though.
abracadabra likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:19 PM

It's a great excuse to LPs, Explorers, Vs (my personal favorite) and even Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, and Jaguars if you want to stay with Fender.
abracadabra likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:20 AM

I'm late to weigh into this thread, but I may have a different perspective than most of what I've read above.

I've been playing my whole life (well, since I was 12). First inspired by the Ventures and the Beatles when they first appeared. Do the math on that. I did the cover band thing for many years starting in high school and later did small time regional tours with a few high spots opening for big acts. Then along came kids, grad school, more kids, career, and all of the usual stuff that sidetracks our musical dedication. Took long, long breaks during which I played very little.

BUT once they were all at least into the teen years, I redoubled my efforts with the guitar. I started getting up early every morning to get in 2-3 hours of practice before everyone else got up. Most importantly, I really tried to do a realistic assessment of what was holding me back technique and musicality wise. Kind of a do-over as far as guitar skills. The main things that I concluded were: 1) I was lacking any deep knowledge of theory so after all those years, I still didn't really know why some notes, chords, or harmony worked in context and 2) I had a lot of wasted hand motion, especially in my picking hand. I somehow got away with that in all the cover bands, but it was clearly holding me back if I intended to progress much further or to keep up my chops at all.

That 2nd item gets to the point of this thread. By concerted effort over some years (yeah, years), I reduced the excess motion in both hands to a small fraction of what it used to be. This has, and (i'm pretty sure) will continue to let me play fast, complicated passages that I absolutely would no longer be capable of if I was still trying to compensate with fast rather than efficient movements. The upshot is that I think I'm playing better now, well into my "eligible for Medicare" years, than I ever have. I'm able to pull off some Vai, Govan, and Johnson tunes and licks that I either couldn't play at all or played altogether half-arsed previously. PLUS, my fingers are no longer tight and sore after playing, and I need way less warm up time to start the tough passages.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I think about this stuff a lot. The moral of the story is this: I'm absolutely convinced that if you want to keep playing well, the single most important factor is to reduce finger motion to the absolute minimum necessary to positively engage the string. As Guthrie Govan said (in one his books, I think): when you watch really accomplished players, they're not moving faster, but rather they're moving less.
tobe, abracadabra and FireEagle like this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM

I think you're absolutely right but that reduction in wasted motion can only come from focussed practice, you've obviously made a frank analysis of your technical weaknesses and addressed them through thousands of hours of dedicated and repetitive playing, there is no other way to build the necessary muscle memory and there are no short-cuts.
Autodidactic learners shoot for gratification early on and then have to go back and correct the faults this imprinted into their muscle memory, gifted players simply take less time to achieve similar results.
stratoskier and abracadabra like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

great post, stratoskier. inspirational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
I think you're absolutely right but that reduction in wasted motion can only come from focussed practice, you've obviously made a frank analysis of your technical weaknesses and addressed them through thousands of hours of dedicated and repetitive playing, there is no other way to build the necessary muscle memory and there are no short-cuts.
Autodidactic learners shoot for gratification early on and then have to go back and correct the faults this imprinted into their muscle memory, gifted players simply take less time to achieve similar results.

absolutely, but one thing that has inspired me a lot recently, is the realisation that there really isn't such a thing as 'talent'. 'gifted' players don't really exist. they have either acquired skills quickly because of hard practice or because of some related skill from some other walk of life.

I read an interesting book about this which really debunked a lot of the myths of 'talent' and it has proved incredibly inspirational. we are held back by believing that we are not talented, or less talented than others, when really all it is it a lot of dedication and hard work. focused dedication and hard work, mind. the quality of the practice is just as important as the amount of it, probably more so.

great to hear all these stories. keep them coming!
stratoskier likes this.

Tags
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode