Circle picking - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Circle picking

Aloha and Happy Easter !
You don't hear a lot of talk about circle picking, but apparently, it can be used to fantastic results. Micheal Romeo { Smyphony X } and Micheal Angelo { Nitro } both use it, from what i understand. I know the basic mechanics of it, but does anyone have some tips for how to get fast doing it? Any technique pointers or excercises are welcome!
Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 02:22 PM

What is it exactly?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

It's a type of picking that involves zero wrist motion... you just hold the pick between you thumb and index, and flick the last knuckle of your thumb to move the pick. Ideally, the motion should make the tip of the pick do little cicrles. If you do it right, it feels really cool, because you're picking with virtually no effort.
Hope that answers your question!
Ben
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 AM

Sounds cool, but hard
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 01:10 PM

Just one question, when doing circle picking, do you guys make the pick parallel with the strings or is it a little slanted? I discovered that most people pick slightly slanted to achieve a faster speed in most of their picking techniques but i think that this kills some of the tone... Is it true what i said??? I'm confused!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Circular picking is pretty cool to do. It's actually kinda easy when you really get it down. However, it has it's limits. It's really difficult to pick fast and hard with it. It's also hard to circular pick without anchoring your picking hand. Curlying the fingers and resting them lightly on the guitar body works best for ciruclar picking I found.

For fast stuff I do a combination of circular and wrist picking. It just feels better to me than wrist picking
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 04:33 PM

I've used this for years, you have to anchor your little finger for the highs and the fleshy chicken drumsticky bit of your thumb for the lows in order to stay over the notes you play. It works for me!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ant711UK, after having used that method for years, how fast can you go { as in you can play 16th notes at how many BPM} ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:28 AM

Circle Picking...

That sounds really cool. I have a video with the guy from Nitro, but I don't think he talks about circle picking on it at all. Do you know where I can find out a bit more about it, I want to try it out. And if you use a relatively thick pick, wouldn't that solve the problem of being able to pick hard? Just a thought.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 11:21 AM

I use a very heavy picks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter
you just hold the pick between you thumb and index, and flick the last knuckle of your thumb to move the pick.
I got a copy of that video from a friend years ago, I seem to recall that Micheal Angelo says specifically not to flick the thumb and to keep the fingers holding the pick rigid because, quote: "How fast can you flick your thumb anyway?"

Have'nt seen it in a long time tho, so I could be wrong. buts thats what I remember of it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 1
Sativa is spot on. Michael "Angelo" Batio does not use thumb/circular picking, rather he uses more traditional straight up/down alternate picking using his wrist and arm. What's particularly interesting about his technique is that he anchors his hand by placing the last three fingers of his right hand between his pickups, floating his thumb and index finger (with pick) over the strings "like a phonograph needle." (This has actually caused depressions in his guitars between the pickups.)

This was illustrated, as Sativa said, in his Star Licks instructional video from '87, which I have been worshipping since '89. (And, yes, he really DOES ask "how fast can you flick your thumb?")

Getting back to the topic of the thread, a friend of mine is a righteous shredder, and he uses an odd circular picking style. He describes it as such:

Quote:
Once I get to a certain speed, I still alternate pick but I
start moving my whole hand in small circles, the axis of which being the
string. Going down in the circle I downpick and going up in the circle I
uppick. All of this is done with a very relaxed hand. When I change
strings, my circle-picking follows. It's basically just a mutant form of
alternate picking.
Personally, I notice that I do something similar when I use economy picking ... I start to circle to catch adjascent strings on either the upswing or downswing of the circle, but that differs greatly from my friend's technique, which is strictly alternate.

I have never heard of a thumb-flick circular style before ... sounds mighty interesting!!

--jr

Tags
alternate picking , guitar body , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode