Correct guitar height? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Correct guitar height?

Hi,

I dont know how high my guitar should be when im standing up.
Is there a "correct height"? Should i have my fretting wrist bent and if so how much? What about my right arm?

Should the guitar be aroung the stomach region?where?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 03:34 PM

Correct guitar height?

As high or low as is comfortable.

-Justin
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 03:54 PM

Correct guitar height?

Im currently recovering from injury in my left wrist. You should aim at having the fretting wrist bent as little as possible. It is often one of reasons for injury, if you're bending the wrist to much in combination with to much tension. Also, The height of your guitar should be the same when your sitting, and standing. That is what my teacher has told me... *
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:45 PM

Correct guitar height?

Depending on what your playing; i.e. your level of comfort with the material, it might make a difference. *Whenever you see a jazz cat or something like that playing and improvising his butt off, he(she) will almost always have it strung relatively high. *I know I do whenever I'm doing challenging stuff like that. *When Im just jamming to a blues tune, or doing rhythm work, the guitar can be much lower. *It's almost as if having it strung up high gives you a more concentrated feel. *I know I will probably get flamed by people saying that Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Petrucci, Johnson, etc. all have their guitars strung up at pretty much medium heights. This is true, and they are no doubt playing difficult things, but they are very comfortable with what they're playing, and many times it seems like their live playing is very similar to their recorded playing. What I mean is, for example, Vai's FTLOG solo sounds VERY similar on several live recordings I have of it as it does on the album. *This is a feat in itself, reproducing such a challening solo, but I believe it all comes very easy to him. *He does not have to really focus all his attention on thinking up what to play, and playing over changing key centers, modes, etc like he would if he were totally improvising. *You can also see this in his level of showmanship and stage presence. *When he's totally making up stuff, he is much more calm and reserved, whereas when he's playing stuff he's done before, he's a maniac!
Whew, that was a lot of rambling. *In short, put that thing wherever it feels comfortable for you. *As a rule of thumb, the more challenging your music is for you, it might help to have the guitar higher, thus closer to your eyes and brain
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 10:45 AM

Correct guitar height?

As high or low as you want, you'll find out what feels the most comfortable to you if you just experiment a bit. at the moment I prefer medium height, I don't really like it slung too low. Whatever feels most comfortable.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 5
Correct guitar height?

in my punk days, I liked my guitar right around my hips *As I've gotten older I do as has been suggested and it is in exactly the same place standing or sitting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 01:14 PM

Correct guitar height?

but back in those old RacerX days
PG had his guitar much higher than nowadays
take a look at the cover of Intense Rock video
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2001, 03:44 PM

Correct guitar height?

Quote:
Quote: from sixstringphoenix on 1:34 pm on Oct. 23, 2001
As high or low as is comfortable.

-Justin
Yep.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 02:25 AM

Correct guitar height?

oh god, this is something i toy with for hours. then i screwed up my wrist right after i bought a RG-520 (read: a guitar with a drastically thinner neck than my strat) and lowered the thing to a punk-approved level because my picking felt better down there, and started binge-practicing sweep arpeggios. Now, i play pretty high. however, i'm always fine-tuning it, until i get something i like, then play with it for a month or two, then one day start adusting again. ironically, today was one of those days. So at any rate, when i sit down and put the thing on my knee, most of the tension goes off the strap, but it's still barely pressing agaisnt my shoulder. this is the most egronomically sound position i've found, and after selling the rg and buying a 7620, i haven't had a single problem.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 11:08 AM

Correct guitar height?

i used to sling mine low so as to do a 'Hetfield'....heheh....now i am doing more complicated stuff and i fine that slinging it high helps in the stretches and speed....in fact i axe is slung to the highest my strap can go....again its up to ur preferences...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:16 AM

Correct guitar height?

Actually there is a corrdct height, * because I know if you spent your days playing with the guitar lower than it should be, *your wrists
arent angled correctly, *and eventually youll injure yourself. *

Rythum guitarist in my band plays a les paul slung low, and when we cover the Who's "Baba O'Reilly," he does the "synth" *intro on guitar
(kind of like Pearl Jam did when they covered it, *but I wouldnt know, *I stopped listening to Pearl Jam when Dave Abruzee was fired!!!) *anyway,
he can't do it too long, *his wrist start to bother him.

comfort, *but correctness as well. *

-G-zeus
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 12:17 AM

Correct guitar height?

Actually there is a corrdct height, * because I know if you spent your days playing with the guitar lower than it should be, *your wrists
arent angled correctly, *and eventually youll injure yourself. *

Rythum guitarist in my band plays a les paul slung low, and when we cover the Who's "Baba O'Reilly," he does the "synth" *intro on guitar
(kind of like Pearl Jam did when they covered it, *but I wouldnt know, *I stopped listening to Pearl Jam when Dave Abruzee was fired!!!) *anyway,
he can't do it too long, *his wrist start to bother him.

comfort, *but correctness as well. *

-G-zeus
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2001, 03:46 AM

Correct guitar height?

Yup, however high or low you need it to be to be comfortable for ya. *'Cept Im only an 8th grader and a little one like that *so I have to have it as far up as it'll go:roft:
I thought that I had also read somewhere that the closer your hands are to your brain, teh faster they will work...or was it the closer they were together, the faster they will go...oh well...I dunno, I like to play up high hehe:biggrin:

Tags
les paul , pearl jam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode