Counterpoint - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Counterpoint

'Ello, folks! I'm currently studying Johann Joseph Fux's Gradus Ad Parnassum and I've run into a wee bit of a snag. In his book, Fux says, and I quote "... the cantus firmus is in D (la, sol, re) 4, as the beginning and conclusion show, and you started with G (sol, re, ut), you have obviously forced the beginning out of the mode." I'm slowly beginning to get a grip on what this means, but I think I need a deeper explanation.

Also, down below in a footnote, it says "4 This quadruple denomination of the same tone derives from the old distribution of the tones into three hexachords", and then proceeds to give three examples, the hard hexachord, the soft hexachord, and the natural hexachord.

As far as I can tell, the la, sol, re of the cantus firmus (D), as the footnote goes on to explain, ut, re, mi, fa, sol, and la was the customary way to indicate the degrees of a tone in the hexachords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM

Re: Counterpoint

(in my best Dangerfield voice) ....the answer is, 4??????

Last edited by satchmo72; 06-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Hehheh! I put that in there so people would understand that the footnote was written because of the cantus firmus being in D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
....the answer is 4??????
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel "D-Boy" View Post
Hehheh! I put that in there so people would understand that the footnote was written because of the cantus firmus being in D.
I'm dumber than a box of retarded rocks when it comes to music theory. Music theory is beautiful, I just do not have the mental ability left in my days to comprehend or apply it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Just a guess here with limited context to go on, but since you're talking about counterpoint I wonder if he's pointing out that two voices in the piece are each written with different/conflicting hexachords? I.e. if one voice is in D la, sol, re (modulating betwen those three hexachords) that voice would be modulating from soft->hard->natural. If the other voice was written in G sol, re, ut, it would mean that this voice was modulating from natural->soft->hard. I'm not looking at the music, but i suppose if the composer was careful this might sound okay because many of the notes are shared across these modes?

Just a guess...not sure if I helped or confused matters

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Are you kidding?? That was exactly what I needed to understand this more completely!! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Just a guess here with limited context to go on, but since you're talking about counterpoint I wonder if he's pointing out that two voices in the piece are each written with different/conflicting hexachords? I.e. if one voice is in D la, sol, re (modulating betwen those three hexachords) that voice would be modulating from soft->hard->natural. If the other voice was written in G sol, re, ut, it would mean that this voice was modulating from natural->soft->hard. I'm not looking at the music, but i suppose if the composer was careful this might sound okay because many of the notes are shared across these modes?

Just a guess...not sure if I helped or confused matters

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM

sweet. good guess then...glad i could help. Happy counterpoint studying/writing

Tags
counterpoint , gradus ad parnassum , johann joseph fux

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode