The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Talking The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover)

Hi guys,

Here's my interpretation of "the crush of love" by Satriani. One of my personal favorites by Satch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgxCaY7Sa4

Enjoy!

regards,

JP

Last edited by Demogorgos; 03-19-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: the r in mrgreen ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM

Re: The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover)

+1

Excellent execution of this song! Beautiful tremolo. You have the serious chops and I wish I could of heard that cleaner.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
+1

Excellent execution of this song! Beautiful tremolo. You have the serious chops and I wish I could of heard that cleaner.
Thank you so much for the kudos. Feedback here on jemsite means a lot to me.

Regards,

JP

Last edited by Demogorgos; 03-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Thank you so much for the kudos. Feedback here on jemsite means a lot to me.

Regards,

JP
It's almost perfect and pretty close to ones that win contests on youtube. Just a tiny bit cleaner, and slower in some passages. There is one part where you have a lot of speed and accuracy and it shines! What happens is that there are also other parts, equally fast but not as accurate, that cloud the great achievement you had that was perfect. I like that you employ a few techniques but not so much that you are trying to show everything you know in one song (which is a common mistake in recorded pieces). But sometimes live playing is a little more accepting of over the top playing.

Even JS has evolved from being a guy who played too fast too often into a player who values note choice and dynamics.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
It's almost perfect and pretty close to ones that win contests on youtube. Just a tiny bit cleaner, and slower in some passages. There is one part where you have a lot of speed and accuracy and it shines! What happens is that there are also other parts, equally fast but not as accurate, that cloud the great achievement you had that was perfect. I like that you employ a few techniques but not so much that you are trying to show everything you know in one song (which is a common mistake in recorded pieces). But sometimes live playing is a little more accepting of over the top playing.

Even JS has evolved from being a guy who played too fast too often into a player who values note choice and dynamics.
Thank you again for your valued input !

You know, I could play it note for note, I originally learned the song from a record that came with guitar player magazine somewhere end 80's I believe. Always loved the song and I just picked it up again a couple of days ago. I was just going to improvise a little and record it when I thought, "what the heck" and hit the play button because I had the page open where you can play the MP3. Well, and the rest is history. I think I'm going to do some more Satriani tunes, the people just seem to love them.

Thank you again for the input. I'll take it into account.

Regards,

JP

PS You remind me of my guitar teacher who said precisely the same 20 years ago or so

Last edited by Demogorgos; 03-19-2013 at 10:42 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Great playing, nice tone and a beautiful guitar ;-)

I liked that I can hear your style/skills in the song and just not a note perfect facsimile. It's well worth hearing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demogorgos View Post
Thank you again for your valued input !

PS You remind me of my guitar teacher who said precisely the same 20 years ago or so
A guy who taught me guitar tried to instill this in me when I first discovered Van Halen. The times were so into over the top playing that dynamics and note choice took a back seat.

At the time greats like Hendrix, Clapton, and Beck were being put aside for the latest and greatest shredder off of Mike Varney's label. But after a few years, the fast playing became part of a movement which often also included big hair, white basketball shoes, and sometimes spandex. Flashy and fast, and often on superstrats with locking tremolos, became more important than the song or its ability to touch more than just the current shredder generation.

Satch and Vai have proven their skills in very fast passages and to survive what happened to the hard rock genre with the introduction of Nirvana was to ditch the shredder label and go more for note choice and composition. I love that both have also utilized acoustic guitar, too. If the absolute shredder thing ever comes back, Satch and Vai will still be there but as elder ambassadors.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: The Crush of Love + phrygian intro (Satch cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiano View Post
Great playing, nice tone and a beautiful guitar ;-)

I liked that I can hear your style/skills in the song and just not a note perfect facsimile. It's well worth hearing.
Thank you so much for the kudos They mean a lot to me.

Regards,

JP

Tags
improvisation , instrumental , jem , jem-member , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode