The Darkness - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

The Darkness

anybody see them on jools holland the other night? man that was rock with a capital R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 01:24 PM

saw them on cduk lol :P
didn't think much of them
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

ah no way man, they are great.

Get your hands offa my woooman.....
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 07:09 PM

get your Poison's-support-band's-tribute-band- imitating, spandex-wearing-like-it-was-never-done-before,bunch-o-****e off my tv.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

awww jealous...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:24 PM

They're just the latest rock band that "cool people" are allowed to like. Hoxton/Shoreditch media twats who spend all day reading popbitch, and who wouldn't dare be seen with a Guns 'n' Roses album, can stride around in a Darkness t-shirt to go with their multi-strapped combat pants, Reebok boxer boots and "fin" haircuts without fear of suffering judgement from their peers, because it's "ironic" and "postmodern" and "ever so Spinal Tap".

It's a very clever marketing gimmick, and all respect to the Darkness for breaking out of the metal ghetto so effectively, but they're doing nothing that every Def Leppard tribute act in the country hasn't been doing longer and better, and the whole thing seems too calculating and boring. And if the "future of rock music" ( New Musical Express) is a bunch of DLR lookalikes in Freddie Mercury's castoff leotards, rock music deserves to die. I'll throw the switch myself.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

to be fair though, DLR cast off`s they might be but i rather them than westlife and all that
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:58 AM

saw them support def leppard at manchester and couldn't believe my ears... close yours eyes... van halen meets freddie mercury meets the cure...

v good.

they will be big
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

yeah there excellent
just got my tickets for their vicar street gig

yipeee
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca777
They're just the latest rock band that "cool people" are allowed to like. Hoxton/Shoreditch media twats who spend all day reading popbitch, and who wouldn't dare be seen with a Guns 'n' Roses album, can stride around in a Darkness t-shirt to go with their multi-strapped combat pants, Reebok boxer boots and "fin" haircuts without fear of suffering judgement from their peers, because it's "ironic" and "postmodern" and "ever so Spinal Tap".

It's a very clever marketing gimmick, and all respect to the Darkness for breaking out of the metal ghetto so effectively, but they're doing nothing that every Def Leppard tribute act in the country hasn't been doing longer and better, and the whole thing seems too calculating and boring. And if the "future of rock music" ( New Musical Express) is a bunch of DLR lookalikes in Freddie Mercury's castoff leotards, rock music deserves to die. I'll throw the switch myself.
You're talking a load of rubbish.

I got Permission To Land today and it's a great album. Lots of tight songwriting and cool Angus Young-esque guitar work. It's nice to see a band so close to rock roots making it big commercially. I must say I was blown away with their performance on Jools Holland and their version of Radiohead's "Street Spirit" on Re-Covered was excellent.

I must say they're one of my favourite acts right now. An ace in the hole for the British commercial rock scene.

... Although on the downside I'm shocked that they've lowered themselves to support Robbie Williams (as have Ash). They've also played with Whitesnake though so that isn't too good either but I guess shows with Deep Purple and Lynard Skynard make up for that a little bit. They should find a solid commercial band to tour with. Maybe with Muse or Hundred Reasons or a band like that.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca777

although i agree with this an insane amount, getchohandsoffamawoooomahnmathafaka i like. Listened to the rest and wasnt impressed
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 06:46 PM

oh dear...

Well, perhaps if they were the first, id be impressed... Sure, its kool and all but the originals are way better....

Speaking of the originals, i think im gonna go listen to some AC/DC, or some Poison, or Extreme, or some Whitesnake.... all good...

The Darkness just sound like those bands to me, but not as good, and they certainally dont even touch on Freddie Mercury.... i doubt any artist will for a while.

And whats with all the cliche token guitar solos... couldnt they do something interesting with that solo time

sure, i love a good solo...but, those arent good solos...gimi some 'Extreme' solos anyday... but the Darkness, maybe its just not my thing, but i aint seeing it. The spandex is novel tho...cant go wrong with spandex.....

And yeah, they'll be big... and i guess thats a good thing, because the more guitar based commerical music there is, the easier it is for me to get session work....

Rob
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:30 AM

Re: oh dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
And yeah, they'll be big... and i guess thats a good thing, because the more guitar based commerical music there is, the easier it is for me to get session work....

Rob
Guess you'll have to sell out then?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:49 AM

mmmm

I hate jazz, but i play it all the time to make money, so i guess im a sellout already!

Gotta make a living ya know!

Rob
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 12:08 PM

glad to hear it... thought I was the only on here... breaks my heart to go into HMV these days...

Tags
angus young , def leppard , robert plant , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode