death metal - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

2Likes
  • 1 Post By sepulchrave
  • 1 Post By Stealthtastic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

death metal

Any death metal players here? RGs are perfect for playing this kind of music.

My favorites are Morbid Angel (my all-time favorite!), Cannibal Corpse, Death, Deicide, Suffocation, Deeds Of Flesh, Hate Eternal, Decapitated, Vader, Blood Red Throne, Inveracity, Disavowed, old Krisiun, old Decrepit Birth...man the list goes on. Then there's also some grindcore stuff like Terrorizer and Carcass. I'm not that much into the melodic style though I like a few Gothenburg-style bands like At The Gates and old In Flames. \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: death metal

I would say that a stop tail guitar is better than a Floyd-equipped guitar due to the heavy palm muting and the speed of the riffing. Most RG's have Floyds, so...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I myself am a purely fixed bridge player but that purely depends on what you prefer. Remember that Slayer is one of the biggest influences for death metal so you can expect a lot of Hanneman/King-style divebombs and whammy bar abuse in a lot of death metal music. Trey Azagthoth is a well known floyd abuser and his RGs and UVs serve him well. He's definitely my favorite guitar player in this genre.

But really, I made this thread to talk about the genre, not the guitars. Any favorite bands?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:53 AM

Slayer used Kahlers which cope with heavy palm muting much better, it's their only advantage.

I still have a soft spot for Testament (referring to your nick) but I mostly prefer instrumental music nowadays.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, definitely. Skolnick and Testament are one of my heroes! They do have a few death metal-sounding albums like Demonic and The Gathering but our boy Alex isn't on any of those. I grew up on Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura and a lot of thrash from the 80s and early 90s. That's how I fell in love with death metal because I was searching for something more 'extreme', if you will.

I do have a preference for the more old school, Florida-style of death metal but some of the new 'brutal death' bands are amazing as well like Defeated Sanity and Disgorge. I just don't like it that much when they tune really low. For me, D standard is heavy enough for death metal. Even E standard can be heavy...but that's another topic for another thread (I imagine there has been a lot of debates about lower tunings/heaviness around here ).

Last edited by Alex Skolnickolas Cage; 05-27-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM

Definitely into Death Metal here. Love the classics like Cannibal, Morbid, etc but also into a lot of the European stuff like The Forsaken, Lost Souls, Vader (arguably Death/Thrash), Zyklon, Vomitory, Fleshcrawl and the like. Some blackened thrash too such as older God Dethroned, etc.

I love most anything heavy though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Skolnickolas Cage View Post
(I imagine there has been a lot of debates about lower tunings/heaviness around here ).
Have you been on Sevenstring.org? lol

I like me some DM. My favs are probably Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Skinless, Behemoth, Nile etc. for the brutal stuff. I enjoy most forms/sub-genres in the "extreme metal" spectrum too, depends on the band at the end of the day I suppose.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerEvil View Post
Definitely into Death Metal here. Love the classics like Cannibal, Morbid, etc but also into a lot of the European stuff like The Forsaken, Lost Souls, Vader (arguably Death/Thrash), Zyklon, Vomitory, Fleshcrawl and the like. Some blackened thrash too such as older God Dethroned, etc.

Zyklon is cool and it's great to hear about more people being into them. Hopefully there will be talks of a reunion as I think all the members of Zyklon (except Destructhor) are in Emperor right now doing the Anthems tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post

I like me some DM. My favs are probably Suffocation, Cryptopsy, Skinless, Behemoth, Nile etc. for the brutal stuff. I enjoy most forms/sub-genres in the "extreme metal" spectrum too, depends on the band at the end of the day I suppose.
Cryptopsy and Nile are both cool although I haven't actually quite followed them in a while. I hear Dallas is no longer with Nile. Cryptopsy, I love the old Lord Worm stuff but I really haven't heard anything new from them recently though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerEvil View Post

Zyklon is cool and it's great to hear about more people being into them. Hopefully there will be talks of a reunion as I think all the members of Zyklon (except Destructhor) are in Emperor right now doing the Anthems tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post

Cryptopsy and Nile are both cool although I haven't actually quite followed them in a while. I hear Dallas is no longer with Nile. Cryptopsy, I love the old Lord Worm stuff but I really haven't heard anything new from them recently though.

And yes as a matter of fact, I am a member of SS.org although I'm not a 7-string player. I just hangout in the six string section.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM

I play death metal like the bands in the OP and have 0 issues with playing on guitars with Edge trems. Honestly if someone is unable to mute properly on those and play dm then they probably have awful technique. The edge is wicked for tuning stability.
jono likes this.

Tags
cannibal corpse , death , death metal , deicide , morbid angel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode