December backing track feeler... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

December backing track feeler...

So what should we do for December? Anyone have a good track in mind? Fast or slow? Rocky or ambient? Have we stayed away from E minor for long enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8XRwFn7zas

Last edited by FireEagle; 12-01-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:37 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: December backing track feeler...

or this one in Gm?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnVQ2Zv5RUo
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:30 AM

Reviews: 10

First off, I want to say thanks FireEagle for taking on the task of organizing these challenges!!! =)

I should say that I'm biased because I'm not a metal guy but if I had to pick between those two I would pick the Gm track.

For my suggestion, keeping in the spirit of challenging ourselves to play in different modes, how about something in mixolyidian? Here is a track in F Mixolydian that creates lots of space to express different ideas. Maybe even break out an acoustic...or play an electric in a mellower setting, since it's the month of Christmas. This is a beautiful track, and it's not too long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crju3xnOkmo

Or, keeping with the theme of trying different modes, how about something in Dorian - this is cool track with a nice vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Szu9XydTLE
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM

I dunno, I like FireEagles one best. Maybe it's because most of the songs I can play are in E minor so it's easy for me to figure out where to play
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I dunno, I like FireEagles one best. Maybe it's because most of the songs I can play are in E minor so it's easy for me to figure out where to play
Yeah... I just threw that one out there for fun. \m/ It has some timing issues I think... unless my ears are tricking me. Cool jam though. It calls to my inner hair-rocker.

Of the others suggested I like the F Mixolydian one the best. Interesting feel to it. Never played in that "mode" before.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
all the more reason to challenge yourself to work on a different mode in a different key
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
all the more reason to challenge yourself to work on a different mode in a different key
Touche

But I don't really understand F mixolydian. What is that in a natural minor/Major key? I am very very weak on that part of theory
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Touche

But I don't really understand F mixolydian. What is that in a natural minor/Major key? I am very very weak on that part of theory
Lets see... this is hard without a guitar in my hands. I think it's the Bb major scale... or D minor if you are more accustomed to minor scales... just start it on an F note. It's the F Maj scale with a flat 7th note. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 02:44 PM

It is true that F Mixolydian and Bb Major have the same notes; but, the relative minor of Bb Major is G Minor, and therefore G Minor has the same notes as F Mixolydian.

An easy way to remember a shape for Mixolydian, if you like to minorise your scales, is to take whatever Mixolydian scale you're aiming for, and simply play the Aeolian (natural minor) scale who's root is one note higher than the Mixolydian root you were aiming for. If we take C Mixolydian for an example, then playing D Aeolian would result in you using all the right notes.

Remember, though, that the angle at which you come at a scale is everything, so emphasising the D root repeatedly (like you might normally when playing a D Aeolian shape) wouldn't sound right over a C Mixolydian chord progression. Take care to work around the new root note (C in this case), and emphasis other notes as the chords progress to sound more musical.

Hope this helps!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Reviews: 2

I vote for FireEagle's track. After the slow track last month, it would be cool to do something up tempo like that.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Shaft View Post
It is true that F Mixolydian and Bb Major have the same notes; but, the relative minor of Bb Major is G Minor, and therefore G Minor has the same notes as F Mixolydian.

An easy way to remember a shape for Mixolydian, if you like to minorise your scales, is to take whatever Mixolydian scale you're aiming for, and simply play the Aeolian (natural minor) scale who's root is one note higher than the Mixolydian root you were aiming for. If we take C Mixolydian for an example, then playing D Aeolian would result in you using all the right notes.

Remember, though, that the angle at which you come at a scale is everything, so emphasising the D root repeatedly (like you might normally when playing a D Aeolian shape) wouldn't sound right over a C Mixolydian chord progression. Take care to work around the new root note (C in this case), and emphasis other notes as the chords progress to sound more musical.

Hope this helps!
Yes... helps a lot! I'm just beginning to learn this stuff.

Everyone feel free to post any other tracks you think might be good. I'm up for anything... like the Mixolydian track... but I have to say I kind of feel like rocking out a bit. I can always do that on my own time though...
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 06:37 PM

I haven't taken part in this backing track session yet, since I am new to the forums, but I intend to!

The upbeat rock track could be good from a rhythmical point of view. It can be easy to lose sight of rhythm when jamming over a ballad.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Shaft View Post
I haven't taken part in this backing track session yet, since I am new to the forums, but I intend to!

The upbeat rock track could be good from a rhythmical point of view. It can be easy to lose sight of rhythm when jamming over a ballad.
Cool! Would be great to hear what you do to a track. Especially after listening to the Soundcloud tracks you posted... Good stuff!! "Vlad" is my favorite track... but they all sounded good.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
First off, I want to say thanks FireEagle for taking on the task of organizing these challenges!!! =)

I should say that I'm biased because I'm not a metal guy but if I had to pick between those two I would pick the Gm track.

For my suggestion, keeping in the spirit of challenging ourselves to play in different modes, how about something in mixolyidian? Here is a track in F Mixolydian that creates lots of space to express different ideas. Maybe even break out an acoustic...or play an electric in a mellower setting, since it's the month of Christmas. This is a beautiful track, and it's not too long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crju3xnOkmo

Or, keeping with the theme of trying different modes, how about something in Dorian - this is cool track with a nice vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Szu9XydTLE
I vote for the F Mixolydian!!!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Cool! Would be great to hear what you do to a track. Especially after listening to the Soundcloud tracks you posted... Good stuff!! "Vlad" is my favorite track... but they all sounded good.
Thank you! Followed you back on Soundcloud I'm looking forward to linking up with more guitar players on these kinds of threads. Since leaving school my musical scene has become ever so lonely

I'd be happy to do any of the above backing tracks, they all sound pretty good! The A Dorian one would be just as straight forward scale-wise as the E Minor one, since A Dorian has all the same notes as E Minor. So, either the A Dorian or E Minor for accessibility; or, either the G Minor one or F Mixolydian one for more of a challenge!

Last edited by Craig_Shaft; 12-04-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode