Derek Trucks show: don't overlook this guy - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Derek Trucks show: don't overlook this guy

Greetings,
I don't usually post things like this, but...
last night I saw something that really surprised me and blew me away. I went to see the Derek Trucks Band at a local club and I've gotta encourage other players to check him out. I confess I knew him only from the Allman Brothers connection and various guitar mag articles: I don't own any of his CDs (though I will soon). I expected sort of a roots blues/rock show, but was I ever surprised. He's a phenomenal player, with or without the slide. Great rhythmic and harmonic sense, terrific tone, totally cool phrasing...

Having played a lot of years, there aren't many guitar tricks I see where I don't more-or-less understand what was happening. I may not necessarily be able to reproduce what I heard/saw, but at least I get what the player was doing. This show was different: Trucks morphed really peculiar styles and licks in totally unexpected ways. I heard a lot of influences, from traditional blues, to Robben Ford, and even Coltrane and Satriani, and...???. Great chordal vocabulary. And the use of the slide and finger-picking allowed subtle nuances that we don't usually hear. He did a couple of tunes that had strong Indian influences, pedal tones overlain with haunting melodies. And some of the slide work sounded very much like backwards guitar: very strange. Like Jeff Beck and Knopfler, he gets huge, grinding tone with just his fingers. Plus he seems to be a real minimalist when it comes to gear: an old SG into a Super Reverb, and I saw NO pedals (there may have been some somewhere, but it looked like he ran straight into the amp). But he was constantly switching tones, apparently using only the volume knob, pickup switching, and picking intensity. Very effective.

I saw in this forum that a lot of people were put off by his apparent lack of stage presence when he opened for Eric Johnson. True, he didn't speak a word, rarely smiled, and didn't make eye-contact with the crowd very often. But do we require that of an accomplished player? I thought his understated stage manner was thrilling in itself. He was totally focused on what he was playing, with no surplus histrionics to jive it up. I admired that. This guy is very serious about his music.

OK, that's enough raving. But I would encourage all of you to check him out. Recently most of my listerning has been Satriani, Vai, Andy Timmons, and a few other masters, but it's time to expand the influences. I have no idea if his CDs come across like his live performance, but I'll find out soon. And lest I forget, the band really rocked too. Great musicians every one.

Cheers,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:51 PM

Derek is hardly "news"- he's been around blowing people away for years.

I first saw him at a Washburn concert at a NAMM show about 6 years ago- he played with the Allmans that night, but was just incredible. Outstanding technique all around! Definitely one of the best young players today
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Vendor

I caught him sit in for 3 tunes with my best friends band in Florida about 10 years ago when he was a wee lad. Was really nice to see him get the warm-up act for Satch on the CP? tour? Around that time anyway
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Right, he's not exactly new on the scene, but a search on "Derek Trucks" here in the forum popped up mostly lukewarm (or negative) reviews of his opening for Eric Johnson. So I thought I'd start this thread just to nudge folks to give him a listen. Good to hear you admire him, too! Do you have any of his CDs?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Vendor

No CD's, I've already got about 100 I don't listen to
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 04:41 PM

I did see Derek Trucks when he opened for EJ. Great musician though he did get tiresome after a few songs.

Tags
andy timmons , eric johnson , guitar mag , jeff beck , pickup switch , pickup switching , robben ford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode