In A Dilemma. Which Music School To Choose?? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

In A Dilemma. Which Music School To Choose??

Hey Guys!

I'm in a bit of a bind right now, and am in need of some possible tips or pointers.

In short, this past year at school I realized that being a Political Science major wasn't my type of thing, so I decided to change my major to music. I decided that I didn't want to leave the city (Toronto), so I applied to the two Universities in the Toronto area, U of T (my current school) and York University. Although I have not heard a reply back yet from U of T in regards to my admission, York University has offered me a spot in their Fine Arts school as a music student.

At this point, I'm rather assuming based on my audition and the fact thtat I'm already a student at the schoo that U of T is going to accept me. On one hand, U of T is a great school that offers a great jazz performance program, but is extremely conservative. York on the other hand, also has a great music program, but is a bit of a hike from where I would be living. Also, I'm not sure if leaving a school that I had such a great time at would be hard to do. If U of T doesn't accept me however, I will go to York U. Rather go where I'm wanted than slave away doing Arts and Sciences courses.

Anyways, I'm just getting ready for a possible big decision that I may have to make. If anyone can give me any tips or pointers, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 07:56 PM

If U of T has a good jazz program and is more conservative, then that sounds like the best bet. A degree from a strict, conservative program is worth more than one that is from a more liberal school.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 02:47 AM

Hmm...unless you really aren't comfortable with UofT's programme, I'd stick with it. It's a good school and you save yourself the problems with changing universities...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 03:02 PM

schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitSnax
If U of T has a good jazz program and is more conservative, then that sounds like the best bet. A degree from a strict, conservative program is worth more than one that is from a more liberal school.
not necessarily. i am in Cleveland State University's jazz department as a performance major and will be thinking about transferring to a different school (either Berklee or the New School of Jazz in Greenwich Village). Every person learn better under different circumstances. I, for one, dont get the most out of a strictly classical training, because i cannot connect with the ideas, but whenver my teacher puts it in a jazz based or rock based setting, it is much easier for me to comprehend. Just because a school's surroundings are demanding, doesnt make it a good place to learn.

I believe that the best environment is one where you are surrounded by the best peer players there are, not teachers, peers, friends you can learn from. learning from peers can motivate one to work harder to get to that person's level. a liberal environment stimulates an individual to grown and expand their musical horizons and absorb musics from every source and integrate them into your own music. that kind of happening just doesnt occur when a teacher is so rigid that they will only look at the "past masters."

i feel that my guitar teacher, bob fraser, one of the baddest cats alive (if he lived in NYC, everyone would know him) who heads the guitar dept. at CSU, and teaches every walk of electric guitar (from jazz standards to swing to fusion to rock to blues to country to whatever), is much better than the "elite" teachers who will only will teach bop or classical.

growth is restricted in an environment where experimentation is frowned upon, and because of that, i dont think that a conservative, strict environment is beneficial to a student's growth.

but to answer your question, i would go with whatever university has the most students to play with because, in music, education is on the bandstand not in the classroom.

Tags
electric guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode