The Doors to Sweeping Have Been Opened! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Smile The Doors to Sweeping Have Been Opened!

So sweeping always kind of scared me and any time I started to try I sucked so I sort of gave up on it. But tonight I randomly started trying some sweep picking exercises and all of a sudden I got it!! I was flying through those arps! I finally got the timing of both hands in sync and figured out how to roll my left hand across the strings. Needless to say I sat for about an hour noodling around with different triad figures for sweep picking.

Now let me say, I always admired people who could sweep pick, but a lot of people get sucked into the "all I do is sweep up and down the neck all the time" and I HATE that, but this is definitely one technique I would like to incorporate tastefully into my playing.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my breakthrough, "light bulb" moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 AM

Re: The Doors to Sweeping Have Been Opened!

Congratulations!!! Carry On!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 AM

It's all good MelodyMan. Congrats, it's cool when the pieces finaly seem to fit together.

I might only use a couple of sweeps in a 75minute gig but they're just something nice to have in your chops to bust out whenever the vibe calls for it.

Ben
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Dee

Yeah! Go MelodyMan! I like me some sweeps.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Cool!
I've been working on sweeping over the last couple of days - I'm really struggling to keep it clean and precise sounding with higher gain sounds... I think I need to improve the coordination of my LH & RH muting. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Have you come across any good online demos/tips?

John
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:52 PM

I saw a cool video about sweeping that broke it down into picking directions and which way to pick is what makes sweeping more effective and efficiently faster.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
Have you come across any good online demos/tips?

John
+1

This is one technique I really need to improve. I've kinda got it, but needs a bit more work.

Well done though, it's great when you know you've improved.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:36 PM

go for it
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekuss View Post
This is one technique I really need to improve. I've kinda got it, but needs a bit more work.
Here's a simple sweep arpeggio that kinda helped my picking hand to coordinate with the fretboard hand to get the timing right. This should really have an A added by tapping the 20th fret on the high E string after the 12th fret hammer-on, but to simplify the exercise and help you get the basic feel for it I'll post this one because I still find it useful for warm-ups. There are a few repeated notes in there, but no matter, this is merely an exercise for co-ordination. Do this in a circular motion and keep repeating until you have the flow nailed.

Audio clip is here.

This is nothing too special, it's just an exercise, remember.

^ - downstroke
v = upstroke
h = hammer-on
p = pull-off

E ----------------^-8----12-h----12-v----8-p----------------------------

B ------------^-10---------------------------10-v------------------------

G ---------^-9-----------------------------------9-v---------------------

D -----^-10----------------------------------------10-v------------------

A -^-12-----------------------------------------------12-v---------------

E ------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM

Cool. I can sorta halfass do one or two different little sweeping things, but it's by no means something I've integrated into my playing -- it's just sort of a little stunt for me at this point.

Once, I was at guitar center playing something or other, and some kid was watching me, he was maybe 12 years old. He asked me, "Can you shred?" Well, I was thinking to myself, "what was I just doing?" And of course my cynical side kicks in, "playing guitar rather badly, actually."
But the kid kept asking me, "Can you shred? Can you shred?"

Finally, somehow, it dawned on me that this kid thought that "shredding" was some very specific guitar playing technique. He mentioned he had some "awesome tape" (kids still trade tapes?) of some local guy that his friend had given him -- "Rusty Cooley?" I guessed. "Yeah, that's the guy!" So I did my little stunt arpeggio and that seemed to satisfy this kid that I could indeed "shred," at least a little bit. Heh.

I wish I really could shred, but I suck.

Last edited by Ferrous Lepidoptera; 05-28-2007 at 11:30 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Shredding is cool and fun!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 AM

Hey thanks Dee, I use a similar pattern already but I think I've just gotta put my arse into gear, if you know what I mean.

Thanks though
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Dee

Cool, good luck man! That particular pattern helped me quite a bit with coordination, but as I said, just basic stuff.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:27 AM

Great!!! Sweeping is so cool and I've been working on it sense I first heard Yngwie (still gives me a thrill) but I dont make it an every solo sort of trick, just here and there kinda like salt and pepper a little goes a long way. But, just to let you know I'm deffinaly not the best there is at it. No really Its a hard thing to master and I'm still working on it. I find the more I'm warmed up the better I can get it down. I do use sweeps as a warm up exercise but I really would be embarssed if anybody heard me. ah shucks!!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Well done!

Years ago I resigned to the fact that sweeping is something I'm just never going to be able to do well.

Tags
guitar playing , jason becker , playing guitar , rusty cooley , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to build saloon doors
which pick up for sweeping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode