Dream Theater, European tour, Amsterdam - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Dream Theater, European tour, Amsterdam

Tomorrow is day one in Amsterdam (Heineken Music Hall) they are going to perform Tuesday as well, probably that show will include a complete cover of a classic album.

I'm going Monday, with some friends, some of whom are very much into DT. Two guitarists and a bass player. One non musician.

Let's hope they have enough energy for a four hour show...anyone else going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:10 PM

Re: Dream Theater, European tour, Amsterdam

They are playing over here in Milano, on the 29th. Can't wait... It's been like 4 years since I last saw them but I wasn't into them at the time. Now I'm one more of the usual hardcore fans out there and I hope it will be a great show!

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 AM

I was hoping to see them in London, but I'm all out of cash.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 07:32 PM

I'm going to see them both nights in london and I can't Fookin` wait.
They played here in Dublin 3 years ago and They said they'd be back but Alas no sign on this tour.
So it's off to London for me to see them but to tell the truth It's worth the hassel and expense of flying and staying in Londodn to see them again!!!
I especially can't wait to see what classic album they play the 2nd night... I'll let ye all know;-)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeeep
I'm going to see them both nights in london and I can't Fookin` wait.
They played here in Dublin 3 years ago and They said they'd be back but Alas no sign on this tour.
So it's off to London for me to see them but to tell the truth It's worth the hassel and expense of flying and staying in Londodn to see them again!!!
I especially can't wait to see what classic album they play the 2nd night... I'll let ye all know;-)
Cool, you must be putting a fair amount of money into this. Enjoy the shows!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 AM

Gotta wait till december but i already got tickets for both shows
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

DT kicked a$$

They played all my favorites! (how did they know?)

Under a Glass Moon, Pull me Under (+ medley outtro closing the showm incl Dance of Eternity), Peruvian Skies (with snippets of pink floyd and metallica) The Glass Prison, Home, As I Am.

New Stuff included a 25min rendition of Octavarium (in a three song sequence with Never Enough and Sacrificed sons) They opened with Root of all Evil and Panic Attack. Crowd was in awe, at times just staring silently and at other times singing along banging heads clappign, excellent response, good interaction all round. DT strated at 20:00 left at 23:00, with a 15min break at 21:15.

Sound was ok, I was way up in the balcony, as some of my friends are not that tall...so my ears had to adjust a bit to the sound and tone. There was a video screen to capture some of petrucci's acrobatics as well as some athmospheric images, newsreel stuff etc. Blinding backlights, not ok if you wanted to shoot some video's with your mobile phone. Typically Petrucci had set up some small boxes to allow him to pose during soloing, resting his EB's on his leg. During the first 8 minutes of Octavarium he used a doubleneck.

All in all a great show with a bias towards the heavy stuff, just one ballad, not too much keyboard freaking going about, luckily, the intro to Octavarium was not unbearable.

Petrucci and Myung mostly set the tone, giving the show more of a metal feel than a progressive feel.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Anybody know if they are going to pop by Frankfurt?

Regards

André

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

LOL according to Portnoy's website, today they will cover an entire Britney album...NOT!

Six Degrees of Toxicity?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

It was in fact: "Dark Side of the Moon"...anyone here seen it?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM

I wonder if thats the one theyre doing here too... It should kick ass, even if i cant really picture James covering Gilmoure...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Woah, I couldn't have hoped for a better album for them to cover (except maybe PAW hehe ). I'm going to both nights and I really hope that's the one they'll be playing in London, as I am unfamiliar with say Rush or another of their heroes that they may choose to cover.

Fingers crossed!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 04:32 PM

I saw Dream Theater in Helsinki and they were awesome! The band played very well and played some of my favourite songs like Under a Glass Moon, Pull Me Under and As I Am. They sounded so damm good! The best concert I've seen so far. Audience was also on good mood. Pretty long set but that was only a good thing. I was hoping that they would play Change Of Seasons or Another Day but they didn't. John Petrucci played so damm well and didn't do any mistakes. Labrie, Portnoy, Myung and Rudess did also excellent job. The audience went crazy when John Myung started to shred with his bass! And I met Mike Portnoy earlier that day. He was at local music shop and I got change to shake his hand, say hello and then he signed my Live at Budokan DVD. I was there with my friends. One bassist, one keyboard player, one drummer and two guitar players including me and two other guys. Dream Theater totally rocked!!!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:50 AM

Well, I saw them yesterday here in Milan. It wasn't a bad show but it wasn't a great one either. The guys play great as a band but I think they should have chosen the songs more carefully (Did they really have to play the WHOLE Octavarium?). As a pretty new DT fan I really wanted to hear the "Classics", but they did only a few songs per old album;

WDADU: Afterlife (great choice)
IAW: Under a Glass Moon - Learning to Live(not bad but I'd have prefered TTT or Metropolis)
AWAKE: Caught in a Web (Are you joking?! You can't play 1 Awake song and decide to go with CIAW... )
FII: Peruvian Skies (cool tune, they mixed it with" Wish you were here" and some Metallica song)
SFAM: Fatal Tragedy - The spirit Carries On (Great selection! 2 great songs from my favourite DT album! too bad I've yet to see JP play FT's solo without flaws...)
6DOIT: Bout to Crash - Losing Time/Grand Finale (Also here I'd have expected nicer pieces, even a single Glass Prison or Blind Faith would have been awesome)
TOT: As I Am (predictable but a cool song nonetheless)

They also played a few obscure tracks which I had no idea what they were (Raise the knife, and a Majesty song) and as I said the whole Octavarium album (which I found pretty tedious since they played the most part of it uninterrupted).

BTW What's the deal with John Petrucci? He looks like an ass with his new semi-dyed hairstyle and he came out wearing this stupid psychedelic pants which didn't help, either. However, has anyone seen his two maple necked axes? Those things look AMAZING!!! Kind of a vintage look to them since they both have sunburst finishes but I was just drooling all over the place when he took them out. STUNNING!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0
Well, I saw them yesterday here in Milan. It wasn't a bad show but it wasn't a great one either. The guys play great as a band but I think they should have chosen the songs more carefully (Did they really have to play the WHOLE Octavarium?). As a pretty new DT fan I really wanted to hear the "Classics", but they did only a few songs per old album;

WDADU: Afterlife (great choice)
IAW: Under a Glass Moon - Learning to Live(not bad but I'd have prefered TTT or Metropolis)
AWAKE: Caught in a Web (Are you joking?! You can't play 1 Awake song and decide to go with CIAW... )
FII: Peruvian Skies (cool tune, they mixed it with" Wish you were here" and some Metallica song)
SFAM: Fatal Tragedy - The spirit Carries On (Great selection! 2 great songs from my favourite DT album! too bad I've yet to see JP play FT's solo without flaws...)
6DOIT: Bout to Crash - Losing Time/Grand Finale (Also here I'd have expected nicer pieces, even a single Glass Prison or Blind Faith would have been awesome)
TOT: As I Am (predictable but a cool song nonetheless)

They also played a few obscure tracks which I had no idea what they were (Raise the knife, and a Majesty song) and as I said the whole Octavarium album (which I found pretty tedious since they played the most part of it uninterrupted).

BTW What's the deal with John Petrucci? He looks like an ass with his new semi-dyed hairstyle and he came out wearing this stupid psychedelic pants which didn't help, either. However, has anyone seen his two maple necked axes? Those things look AMAZING!!! Kind of a vintage look to them since they both have sunburst finishes but I was just drooling all over the place when he took them out. STUNNING!
Seems like Ernie Ball has been quite generous in making him a double neck, got any pics of it .

Regards

André

Tags
double neck , ernie ball , guitar players , john petrucci , local music shop , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mike portnoy , pink floyd , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in