Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  caprile 
#1 ·
WOW Bloody WOW

DT were on their Game last night, because they sounded amazing. It was like listening to the CD. The sound guys had it perfect, cause it wasn't to loud, unlike some other heavy metal bands Iv seen in the past.

Dare I say near perfection, not one mistake, and the atmosphere was incredible. No real ruff stuff or mosh pits, thankgod, everyone was just there to witness the unreal talent of these guys...

Meet and Greet.

So I went backstage, had a photo with the band, met each one of them, had them sign a bunch of my dvd's and cd covers... and i even had the chance to give each one of them my newly finished guitar instrumental album. (wicked)

They were all real nice, and for some reason I turned into super tard extrodinare. Little awestruck, and its strange cause normally im super confident, and talkative.

Meet and Greet was well worth the $350 price tag.

DT made up for making the Australian fans wait 20 years before they toured down under..

2 thumbs up !!

See less See more
#3 ·
To be honest, and it's great that you had a good time and that you feel it was worth it, but i think it is INSANITY for Dream Theater to charge that kind of money (I guess 350 AUD is like 310 US) for a meet and greet package. It's not like they're a band thats super difficult to meet, like U2 or The Rolling Stones or some other super huge band that sells out massive arenas. I've met a few members of DT in recent years, including a pretty cool meet and greet with Mike Portnoy at a local music shop...considering you can get a ticket in the first couple of rows if youre quick enough and that DT tix are usually like 50-60 bucks max (at least I know they are in the US), that makes it like..200-250 bucks of an overcharge just to meet them for a couple of minutes and get some stuff signed...Again, not poopin' on your experience or anything and as long as its worth it to you then that's great, just saying that I lost a lota respect for Dream Theater when that happened.

#4 ·
I'm not sure why you would lose respect for somebody offering a special package to fans. The market will bear out whether it's overpriced or not and since they sell and people seem to enjoy it, I don't see what's wrong. I don't think A-Rod is worth the millions he gets, but the market determines that and in that respect, it doesn't bother me. It's clear by what you said that many other fans meet them all sorts of other ways (clinics, waiting by the busses, autograph sessions etc). This is just something offered by many bands to ensure that the fans get some time with them free and clear of diesel fuel and crowds. Those of us who don't want to pay it, don't buy it. :)

paul

#8 ·
Well if ya don't wanna pay that, just do what I did, get a job as a music journalist and you can have a one-on-one chat with Mike Portnoy for 30 minutes (and Seymour Duncan, Joe Satriani, Page Hamilton, Steve Lukather, Dweezil Zappa...) and get paid for it. Man I love my job!)

#13 ·
I'm a big fan of DT, although by no means the biggest---
BUT, if I new there was a meet greet available, I would've bought 5 tickets to allow my family to meet them!!!

I'm far from rich, but these are life experiences that make it all worth while and I don't like missing out on any chance of doing so!

#18 · (Edited)
shreddersymphony

"I'm not about to get into a flame war and resort to name calling like an immature kid"

Since when did I name call you. And I wasn't flamming you in any war either ? and im not an immature kid for that matter...

I was just showing you like Paul warren said, that you are judging the price from your own point of view. When instead you should just be saying, "its to expensive for me" but maybe not for others. Not that its not worth the $350. because I paid the money, and I can tell you first hand that it was worth the money. So you see how my opinion is the informed opinion. Having the experience first hand gives me the better perspective. Yes it was expensive even for me. But I was gona pay $130 for the ticket anyways, so I might aswell spend the extra and get the full total experience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.