Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

WOW Bloody WOW

DT were on their Game last night, because they sounded amazing. It was like listening to the CD. The sound guys had it perfect, cause it wasn't to loud, unlike some other heavy metal bands Iv seen in the past.

Dare I say near perfection, not one mistake, and the atmosphere was incredible. No real ruff stuff or mosh pits, thankgod, everyone was just there to witness the unreal talent of these guys...


Meet and Greet.

So I went backstage, had a photo with the band, met each one of them, had them sign a bunch of my dvd's and cd covers... and i even had the chance to give each one of them my newly finished guitar instrumental album. (wicked)

They were all real nice, and for some reason I turned into super tard extrodinare. Little awestruck, and its strange cause normally im super confident, and talkative.

Meet and Greet was well worth the $350 price tag.

DT made up for making the Australian fans wait 20 years before they toured down under..

2 thumbs up !!
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 135
Smile Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Very cool,
I'm off to see Petrucci at a clinic tomorrow, then a counter lunch with a beer or six for the rest of the arvo. Then "the gig".

Last edited by T.B.A.; 01-31-2008 at 12:29 AM.
T.B.A. is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

To be honest, and it's great that you had a good time and that you feel it was worth it, but i think it is INSANITY for Dream Theater to charge that kind of money (I guess 350 AUD is like 310 US) for a meet and greet package. It's not like they're a band thats super difficult to meet, like U2 or The Rolling Stones or some other super huge band that sells out massive arenas. I've met a few members of DT in recent years, including a pretty cool meet and greet with Mike Portnoy at a local music shop...considering you can get a ticket in the first couple of rows if youre quick enough and that DT tix are usually like 50-60 bucks max (at least I know they are in the US), that makes it like..200-250 bucks of an overcharge just to meet them for a couple of minutes and get some stuff signed...Again, not poopin' on your experience or anything and as long as its worth it to you then that's great, just saying that I lost a lota respect for Dream Theater when that happened.
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 258
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
To be honest, and it's great that you had a good time and that you feel it was worth it, but i think it is INSANITY for Dream Theater to charge that kind of money (I guess 350 AUD is like 310 US) for a meet and greet package. It's not like they're a band thats super difficult to meet, like U2 or The Rolling Stones or some other super huge band that sells out massive arenas. I've met a few members of DT in recent years, including a pretty cool meet and greet with Mike Portnoy at a local music shop...considering you can get a ticket in the first couple of rows if youre quick enough and that DT tix are usually like 50-60 bucks max (at least I know they are in the US), that makes it like..200-250 bucks of an overcharge just to meet them for a couple of minutes and get some stuff signed...Again, not poopin' on your experience or anything and as long as its worth it to you then that's great, just saying that I lost a lota respect for Dream Theater when that happened.
I'm not sure why you would lose respect for somebody offering a special package to fans. The market will bear out whether it's overpriced or not and since they sell and people seem to enjoy it, I don't see what's wrong. I don't think A-Rod is worth the millions he gets, but the market determines that and in that respect, it doesn't bother me. It's clear by what you said that many other fans meet them all sorts of other ways (clinics, waiting by the busses, autograph sessions etc). This is just something offered by many bands to ensure that the fans get some time with them free and clear of diesel fuel and crowds. Those of us who don't want to pay it, don't buy it.

paul
Paul Warren is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Well, I would lose respect for any band that charges its fans 200 dollars + for a 5 minute meet and greet. You're not Christ, lol. You're Dream Theater =P.
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
To be honest, and it's great that you had a good time and that you feel it was worth it, but i think it is INSANITY for Dream Theater to charge that kind of money (I guess 350 AUD is like 310 US) for a meet and greet package. It's not like they're a band thats super difficult to meet, like U2 or The Rolling Stones or some other super huge band that sells out massive arenas. I've met a few members of DT in recent years, including a pretty cool meet and greet with Mike Portnoy at a local music shop...considering you can get a ticket in the first couple of rows if youre quick enough and that DT tix are usually like 50-60 bucks max (at least I know they are in the US), that makes it like..200-250 bucks of an overcharge just to meet them for a couple of minutes and get some stuff signed...Again, not poopin' on your experience or anything and as long as its worth it to you then that's great, just saying that I lost a lota respect for Dream Theater when that happened.

Sorry but for someone living in Australia, there is hardly any other way I would ever be able to meet DT without the ticket. And your looking at the cost all wrong. $140 of that $350 is for the ticket in to see the show front row, the remainder is to meet the band get some things signed and get a photo with the band. Also the meet and greet gave me a boost of inspiration, that will last a lifetime, and there is no price on that. You live in NY, so your kind of a spoilt brat when it comes to seeing people live, or in music shops. So don't compare yourself to someone who lives the furthest possible place away from DT's hometown.

It was worth every penny, and with my 20 years wait for DT to tour Australia, I wasn't about to let the meet and greet slip by....

I'm still amazed at how good the show was.......
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Sorry but for someone living in Australia, there is hardly any other way I would ever be able to meet DT without the ticket. And your looking at the cost all wrong. $140 of that $350 is for the ticket in to see the show front row, the remainder is to meet the band get some things signed and get a photo with the band. Also the meet and greet gave me a boost of inspiration, that will last a lifetime, and there is no price on that. You live in NY, so your kind of a spoilt brat when it comes to seeing people live, or in music shops. So don't compare yourself to someone who lives the furthest possible place away from DT's hometown.

It was worth every penny, and with my 20 years wait for DT to tour Australia, I wasn't about to let the meet and greet slip by....

I'm still amazed at how good the show was.......

Well, Dream Theater also offered this same package at I believe the same price for US shows in the past, this is not the first time this package was offered. Hence it doesnt matter, Australia, NY, wherever, 210 dollars to meet a band that isnt even a really famous one (compared to bands like U2, Rolling Stones, whatever) is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion.
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,155
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Well if ya don't wanna pay that, just do what I did, get a job as a music journalist and you can have a one-on-one chat with Mike Portnoy for 30 minutes (and Seymour Duncan, Joe Satriani, Page Hamilton, Steve Lukather, Dweezil Zappa...) and get paid for it. Man I love my job!)
Petie is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Well if ya don't wanna pay that, just do what I did, get a job as a music journalist and you can have a one-on-one chat with Mike Portnoy for 30 minutes (and Seymour Duncan, Joe Satriani, Page Hamilton, Steve Lukather, Dweezil Zappa...) and get paid for it. Man I love my job!)

I wanted that job btwn the ages of like 14-18, but I checked out the average pay for a music journalist and unfortunately money matters quite a bit to me, lol. I'm gonna have to settle for being a lawyer who plays gigs on the weekends.
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 258
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I wanted that job btwn the ages of like 14-18, but I checked out the average pay for a music journalist and unfortunately money matters quite a bit to me, lol. I'm gonna have to settle for being a lawyer who plays gigs on the weekends.
Wait a minute, you're a LAWYER and you're complaining about losing respect for somebody because it costs a lot to meet with them? LOL. Since you appear to lose respect for people based on a pricepoint, at which hourly billing rate do most people lose respect for you and think you're just sticking it to them? It's capitalism man, let the market decide and it will sort it all out. I don't lose any respect for overpriced attorneys. I just don't use them, heh heh.

paul
Paul Warren is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren View Post
Wait a minute, you're a LAWYER and you're complaining about losing respect for somebody because it costs a lot to meet with them? LOL. Since you appear to lose respect for people based on a pricepoint, at which hourly billing rate do most people lose respect for you and think you're just sticking it to them? It's capitalism man, let the market decide and it will sort it all out. I don't lose any respect for overpriced attorneys. I just don't use them, heh heh.

paul
Lol, I'm not a lawyer, I'm going to be one. Going to law school in two years. And surely youre not comparing the cost of 3 minutes with Dream Theater to lawyer time...apples and oranges. And I won't be an overpriced attorney lol, im actually going into entertainment law, so when someones mom finds out their kid stole 350 bucks from her purse to meet a band and decides to sue them I can help defend DT, cuz I do love em. I just think 250 bucks overcharge for a 3 minute meeting is redunkulous. lol
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Well, Dream Theater also offered this same package at I believe the same price for US shows in the past, this is not the first time this package was offered. Hence it doesnt matter, Australia, NY, wherever, 210 dollars to meet a band that isnt even a really famous one (compared to bands like U2, Rolling Stones, whatever) is absolutely ludicrous in my opinion.

Yes it does matter where you are because living in Australia, I probably wont get the chance to see DT ever again, so your wrong. Mate My best friend is a lawyer so i know that you think your always right, but experience has shown me that it is not always the case.

They offer a $350 package for people who really like DT. To me U2 and the stones mean nothing to me, so why would I want to pay money to meet them ? I pay money for what I like and who I like

DT to me are a bigger band then anybody else, because all that matters is what I think and what I want to do with my time and money. So maybe you would pay $350 to see U2 backstage, but I wouldn't ever in a million years. screw bono to hell muhahahahaha!!!!

Obviously your not a big enough fan to justify it, which is fine, but they have to make a difference in ticket prices otherwise everyone would buy the meet and greet and the whole concert would have to take place backstage !!!!

now that wouldn't work would it ?

Making it expensive weeds out the bullsh_it artists from the real fans.

And its all relative, my friend paid $5000 for a meet and greet with Prince, he is a rich bloke so obviously the bigger the artist the harder it is to see them. So if Prince is $5000 id say $350 is peanuts to meet DT...

YOUR JUST PLAIN WRONG ABOUT THE PRICE. It was a drop in the well for me for what it was and what I got out of it..and im by no means rich.......
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 135
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

I'm a big fan of DT, although by no means the biggest---
BUT, if I new there was a meet greet available, I would've bought 5 tickets to allow my family to meet them!!!

I'm far from rich, but these are life experiences that make it all worth while and I don't like missing out on any chance of doing so!
T.B.A. is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,498
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Yes it does matter where you are because living in Australia, I probably wont get the chance to see DT ever again, so your wrong. Mate My best friend is a lawyer so i know that you think your always right, but experience has shown me that it is not always the case.

They offer a $350 package for people who really like DT. To me U2 and the stones mean nothing to me, so why would I want to pay money to meet them ? I pay money for what I like and who I like

DT to me are a bigger band then anybody else, because all that matters is what I think and what I want to do with my time and money. So maybe you would pay $350 to see U2 backstage, but I wouldn't ever in a million years. screw bono to hell muhahahahaha!!!!

Obviously your not a big enough fan to justify it, which is fine, but they have to make a difference in ticket prices otherwise everyone would buy the meet and greet and the whole concert would have to take place backstage !!!!

now that wouldn't work would it ?

Making it expensive weeds out the bullsh_it artists from the real fans.

And its all relative, my friend paid $5000 for a meet and greet with Prince, he is a rich bloke so obviously the bigger the artist the harder it is to see them. So if Prince is $5000 id say $350 is peanuts to meet DT...

YOUR JUST PLAIN WRONG ABOUT THE PRICE. It was a drop in the well for me for what it was and what I got out of it..and im by no means rich.......
I'm not about to get into a flame war and resort to name calling like an immature kid, but let me just say this...maybe they dont teach ya this where you went to school but an opinion is never wrong. That's why its an OPINION. It's my opinion that charging that kind of money is ridiculous. I never insulted you, I never said anything bad about you...I even said more than once that if it was worth it to you then thats great, yet you feel the need to insult me. I've been a fan of Dream Theater for 10 years and met many of the guys along the way, Scenes from a Memory is the very reason I play music today, so let's not get into the whole "oh youre not a true fan" bs. All I'm saying is the money they charged for it is in my opinion extreme. If you're worried about the whole "oh everyones gona want them to stay backstage forever" thing, I can point out that if they made the package say, 50 bucks more than just getting a ticket (considering its a LIMITED thing, I'm sure there were only a few tickets available with that package)...it would have been fine. But no, they decided to charge $250 extra, which to me is a huge charge to lay on their fans for a 5 minute meeting. Charging that kind of money is purely money-grubbing. They're a fantastic band, but they lost my respect in the business sense purely because this move smelled like greed to me. It's really not like them, because they do in-stores and meet and greets and all that sorta stuff for free, but what can ya do. And as I noted before, they did this kinda package at the same price in the US too, where they ARE easy to meet. So this wasnt just a comment on your Australia thing, but just the meet n greet package idea in general.

Edit: also wanted to add, U2 was just an example of a huge band that came to mind, I'm not a U2 fan. And you saying that "making it expensive weeds out the bs artists from the real fans" is incredibly offensive. Just because 250 bucks extra isnt a lota money to you to meet a favorite band doesnt mean that its not a lota money. I'm sure some of DT's biggest fans are not in the position to pay 250 bucks to meet them.

Last edited by shreddersymphony; 01-31-2008 at 05:57 PM.
shreddersymphony is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 258
Re: Dream Theater Meet and Greet and concert Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
but an opinion is never wrong.
Sorry, but that is factually wrong and can be proven quite easily. If a doctor gives you an opinion to have your skin cancer treated a certain way and I tell you to cover yourself in baby oil and spend more time in the sun, then regardless of what you think of the doctor's opinion, my opinion is wrong because I'm uninformed. Uninformed opinions are very wrong. I'm not educated in medicine enough to offer a valid opinion on that subject. Now before you say that's not an apples apples comparison to what you're describing, I would say that it is because you don't seem to have experience with some basic business concepts. If you did, you would understand market principles enough to know that if it were overpriced, people wouldn't buy it and it would cease to exist. Just because you don't place a particular value on it doesn't make it overpriced. Overpriced would be when NOBODY buys it. I have no problem with your opinion that it isn't worth it for you. My problem is when you look at something like that through your own prism of what is too much and then judge people (DT in this case) as money grubbing.

I tend to defend business like this because I'm in my own small business and know what certain things cost and why you have to set pricepoints. It costs $45 a hour to sit and have lesson with me. However, I'm a nobody in the guitar world. Is that a money grab when you can get lessons for half that price elsewhere? For what we offer, I would say no and we are jammed with students right now. We charge a lot because of massive overhead that most people would overlook. They don't see all the leases, insurances, property taxes, sales taxes, repairs, upgrades, and other hidden costs that go into bringing them a quality lesson in a very nice environment. So I don't think twice about our rates.

I can guarantee you that DT doesn't get the money you think they are getting. They are salaried employees and it's a business. Portnoy went into a lengthy explanation as to why management came to them with the idea of the packages etc., but that isn't needed to explain it. The money goes to the BUSINESS and not only pays all of those people's salaries, but all of the crazy expenses that a band that size has. It's not like they divide up the VIP package money at the end of the night. But if over the course of the year the VIP packages helped DT's business meet its financial obligations where they only had to play 74 shows instead of 75, then they've grown as a business and made some smart decisions. I'm not saying it works exactly like that, but businesses are in business to make money. Not to lower the cost so every single person can afford whatever product they offer. They are selling art, not life's necessities.

Quote:
I'm sure some of DT's biggest fans are not in the position to pay 250 bucks to meet them.
That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Nobody has a right to meet DT or any other band. This is a LUXURY item being offered to DT fans who can afford it. I'm not in the position to buy a BMW even though I'm a fan of those cars. It's a car with 4 wheels much like the one I drive that was half the price. Should I lose respect for BMW because their name puts a lot of extra doe on the pricetag? No offense intended, but your arguments as to why it's a money grab are old class warfare arguments. "I can't afford it, therefore DT are money grubbing for charging so much for it".

I am no expert on all things business, that I can assure you. But the last 6 years have opened my eyes beyond belief as to why businesses have to make certain choices or they cease to exist. It's also made me understand not to be envious of other's income because it's not always what it seems on the surface. I intend no flaming here either, and I don't mean any of this in a disrespectful way. When you're heading up your own law firm, I think you're going to learn some very cool things. Especially when we come to you and pay you big bucks for your advice.

paul
Paul Warren is offline  
Reply

Tags
dweezil zappa , heavy metal , joe satriani , local music shop , mike portnoy , seymour duncan , steve lukather

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT: Vai Meet and Greet Pass for FP/BFP Jetace1 Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 0 09-17-2007 08:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome