Dream Theater, Queensryche,& Fate's Warning - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Dream Theater, Queensryche,& Fate's Warning

I know this was discussed, but no dates were set at the time.

Mon 6/23/03 - Houston, TX - Verizon Wireless
Tues 6/24/03 - Tulsa, OK - Brady Theater **
Wed 6/25/03 - Grand Prarie, TX - Nextstage **
Fri 6/27/03 - Orlando, FL - House Of Blues
Sat 6/28/03 - Pompano Beach, FL - Pompano Beach Amphitheater
Sun 6/29/03 - Tampa Bay, FL - Tampa Bay P.A.C.
Tues 7/1/03 - Atlanta, GA - The Tabernackle (cancelled)
Wed 7/2/03 - Columbus, OH - Promo West Pavillion
Thurs 7/3/03 - Pittsburgh, PA - Amphitheater at Station Square **
Fri 7/4/03 - Barrie, Ontario - Barrie Molson Center **
Sat 7/5/03 - Montreal, Quebec - Verdun Auditorium
Sun 7/6/03 - Quebec City, Quebec - Agora
Tues 7/8/03 - Wallingford, CT - Oakdale Theater
Wed 7/9/03 - Boston, MA - Fleet Pavillion
Thurs 7/10/03 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Art Center
Fri 7/11/03 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach (on sale 5/3)
Sat 7/12/03 - Wilmington, DE - Kahuna Summerstage
Tues 7/15 - Baltimore, MD - Pier Six **
Wed 7/16/03 - Cleveland, OH - Tower City Amphitheater **
Thurs 7/17/03 – Clarkston, MI - DTE Music Theater
Fri 7/18/03 - Cincinnati, OH - Annie's Outdoors **
Sat 7/19Aragon Ballroom/03 - Chicago, IL - **I'm there ! ! !**
Tues 7/22/03 - Denver, CO - Universal Lending Pavillion
Thurs 7/24/03 – Universal City, CA - Universal Amphitheater

Fri 7/25/03 – San Diego, CA - Humphrey's
(Due to the limited stage space available at this intimate venue, Fates Warning will not appear on the San Diego/Humphrey's show. It will only be Dream Theater and Queensryche.)

Sat 7/26/03 – Concord, CA - Chronicle Pavilion
Sun 7/27/03 – Sacramento, CA - The Cove at Cal Expo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 05:23 AM

7/10/03 Holmdel NJ - I'm there. Last year DT played in Holmdel with Satriani and King's X. Satch and DT were co-headlining playing equal length sets, DT closed all shows East of the Mississippi, Satch closed in the West.

I just checked the DT website and still no word on which band (DT or QR) is closing. Anyone have info?

Anyone from Jersey/NY should check out "Hat Trick of Misery". They are playing at the Stone Pony on Sat 5/10/03 opening for Anthrax and Motorhead.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Boston show is a *must* for me!

The Pavilion is setup on the water's edge and it's an outdoor tent venue.....not to mention a Beer Garden!!!!

DT/Satch/King's X played there last year and it was a balmy night with a nearly full moon. Plus we were in the 15th row which made it all the better.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Ibanez endorsed

I have 9th row seats to the Paramount Theater show in Seattle Wa in August!! The show will rock!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
I was fortunate enough to catch DT last year at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT. No warm up - just 2 hours of DT. This place is small and every seat is great. It's quite a treat to watch this level of musicianship.
I think I was most impressed with Mung because I've always focused on the guitar and drum parts, not bass. Portnoy was having a blast. The spinning keyboards were memorable too. GREAT show!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 11:26 AM

I was impressed by James LaBrie during the 6DOIT show. He really improved his presence, dieted, and sang incredibly well. Oh yeah, Myung, Portnoy, and Rudess were phenominal too. I liked Petrucci's set during G3, but he really shines with the rest of the band.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:54 PM

7/16, Cleveland, I'm there! I've only been listening to DT for about 10 months now, but they're my favorite band and JP has become my main influence. I can't wait to see 'em.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:36 PM

Saw the show at the Kahunaville Summer Stage in Wilmington, DE.

AWESOME. We missed Fates, who I think only played for 20 minutes or so because it started raining. We were late, but Chinese at the Imperial Inn in Philly's Chinatown was worth it. So, they didn't start till almost 10pm because it kept sprinkling & lightning-ing. Ryche was first, and Geoff was ON. NM156 & Screaming in Digital in a row. Cool. Then DT. LaBrie was also ON. They were into more extended solos than on the I&W tour, which disappointed me - I'm a "song fan". In fact, they played the instrumental break from "Innocence Faded" - but ONLY the break. Bummer. And no "Surrounded". But what ya gonna do with an hour set? Plus, there's no mistaking John & Jordan's chops. Probably Myung's too, if he'd get a more intelligible bass sound. At least the break in "Metropolis pt. 1" was impressive.

Then the combined songs - "Flame" and "Spirit Carries On". Then "Comfortably numb". Damn. It was worth the hassles and weather.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:03 PM

Detroit

Poor attendance, but a great show. Haven't seen anyone discussing this tour, but I highly encourage you to go see it. (cept Kevan, cause Petrucci was phenomenal)

I am a long time Fates Warning fan, although I haven't been interested in anything after Perfect Symmetry, so it was little disappointing hearing only two older songs. Jim Matehos sounded alright, but the other "replacement" had horrible tone and played lead about as well as I did.

Queensryche was a crowd pleaser. Nothing but the "good stuff." They played stuff as far back as "The Warning" and chose some really obscure but great tunes from Rage and of course Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land. Michael Wilton was playing, but I guess DeGarmo is some kind of professional pilot so he wasn't on the US tour. I don't know who the "other" guitar player was but they should definitely consider finding a replacement. I can think of about 30 guitar players that frequent forums such as this who could have done 110% better - myself included (and that's pretty bad.)

Dream Theater defined "musicianship." The sound was perfect, the playing - flawless. Not much else to say. Petrucci had a pretty cool double neck MM, the 12 string had no magnetic pickups only the piezo hardtail bridge.

The finale was awesome, QR/DT played together - covering Comfortably Numb, then one of each band's songs. Tate blew LaBrie's pipes (no pun intended) out of the water in the finale. The solos between Wilton and Petrucci were awesome (the "other" QR guitarist also gave it the old "Kirk Slossar" try - failing miserably.)

Overall worth the $45 per ticket. BTW, if attendance in your town is anything like Detroit's you can get excellent seats right through ticketmaster - you shouldn't have to bother with scalpers. I bought my tix two days before the show and got 9th row rt side (in front of Petrucci) for $45 a piece. Perfect seats!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 06:47 PM

Gresh and I are heading up to the show in Chicago tomorrow night!! This will be the third time we've seen them since Milwaukee in March of 2002.

Reviews later...

Randy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 06:39 AM

Waddaya reckon my chances are of joining Queensryche? I'm seriously, I honestly think I'd fit very well in that band (apart from being about 20 years younger than them all - and MUCH better looking, hehehe).

By the way, the second guitarist's name is Mike Stone.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 PM

I was at the Boston fleet pavillion concert, like 15th row. Wow, i only wish that fates warning and queensryche wernt there. My guitar teacher at berklee (im 15, doing a summer program) used to be the guitarist for fates warning, he left because the rest of the band sucked!!!!!!!!
And if non of u heard, they played metropolis twice as fast!!!!! ON THE SPOT. There were running out of time, so, boom FAST FAST!!!!!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 01:52 AM

they're playing here on Monday I believe. If I had known earlier I would have made plans to go.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:07 AM

Who is the former guitarist for Fates Warning who left because the band sucked?

Tags
double neck , guitar players , hardtail bridge , magnetic pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode