Dream Theater's Octavarium reviews... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Dream Theater's Octavarium reviews...

Found these reviews of the new DT record:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progress...asp?cd_id=7515

I've heard the radio edits These Walls <- great track, Panick Attack, and also The Root Of All Evil.

I've bought the cd but it will be a while, has anyone got the whole thing? It's out there, but I can't use p2p here in uni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Re: Dream Theater's Octavarium reviews...

What is P2P?
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
What is P2P?
Person to person; 'illegal' file sharing softwares Kazaa, the old napster etc.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Reviews: 5

technically, p2p stands for peer-to-peer and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
... and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.
True, Kazaa itself is not illegal but in the context of the 1st post (downloading a copyrighted unreleased album) it is
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
technically, p2p stands for peer-to-peer and file sharing programs are not illegal. Idiots failing to observe copyright law while using the software are committing illegal acts. It's totally legal for you to share clips of family reunions or old speeches using Kazaa. It's only illegal to share files if you're sharing copyrighted material between individuals who have not licensed it.
In the US that is. In Canada it's still legal, pending further decisions.

I personally think some file-sharing is good for promoting bands that are starting out, but a lot of people take it way too far.

I hate iTunes and other legal downloading sites much more though.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 1

So the couple songs I've heard so far have yet to inspire me to actually go and buy a copy of this album, I'm beginning to think DT has jumped the shark.
I've had 1 run through of Root of all Evil, Answer lies within (these are the REAL SONGS)
and I'm listening to These walls which seems better at the moment, but we'll see...

I'm glad p2p exists, because if I had heard 6doit before paying for a double CD I would not have purchased it. Me thinks Train of thought would have been the same, I don't think I'll be buying this album. I've purchased EVERY DT release, and sadly, the last 2 weren't up to snuff IMO, change is fine, but I think they've lost it, Jordan needs to go.
I respect and admire his ability and whatnot, but he is a lead anchor around the bands' collective waist, he's bringing 'em down. Or, maybe the guys need to go their seperate ways now, do their own projects for a couple years, then either reunite or just leave it alone. I've been a DT fan from WDADU on and it's painful to say that, but that is my opnion.

BTW, "These Walls" is pretty uninspired too, with the exception of the main riff, but a great song, 1 riff does not make.

I walk beside you just started and seems interesting...
we shall see...

Different rant, if Itunes and the other services made it easier to move songs from your home and or office PC's I would be more into it, but the DRM is such a pain, that if I want to put it on my RIOT I can't because my Riot wants Real player to download from, WINAMP is my player of choice on PC and I don't want to have to use 5 different players to accomodate my music. they need to make the DRM more universal and allow licenses to port across player types. ATM it isn't perfect.

BTW, I'm still not sold on the DT album Sorry.

Bamm
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 PM

I've had the whole thing for two weeks and have my "official" copy on reserve for next Tuesday's release. No, I will not send it to anyone for any reason, I don't care who you are, so don't waste your time asking me for it.

The songs take on a slightly different feel than what you're used to and the music continues the feeling of the last studio album, TOT.

The opening of the album is a bit too long, IMO. They have about 1:00 worth of nothing but noise and buildup to the introduction of the song and the music starting in the first song, TROAE. It's a good opening song, strong rhythm and toe-tapping feel. Aggressive. The opening for the the second song, ALWI, is similarly slow, but then, it's a slower song - personally, I'd have waited until further into the album before adding in a slow ballad-type song. A good song nonetheless. Third song - These Walls - this song has all the feel that the TOT album did. Good song, not their strongest but I enjoy it. Fourth song, IWBY, almost has a U2-style feel in the chorus - most predominantly the way Petrucci phrases his parts - a bit dissonant, but smoothly transitioned. I dig it big time, and I was never a U2 fan.

I'm not as acquainted with the last four songs on the album, but I've been listening to them. All four have their ups and downs, but all in all, I like them. They'll require more time with the music to get a feel for how much I like them.

I give it 1.5 thumbs up thus far. I need more time with the music to make a more in-depth judgment about the album. If you're a DT fan, it's a definite buy, if you're on the fence about DT and are looking for another album the quality of I&W or SFAM, you'll probably want to skip it as it's not for you.

And remember folks, bands evolve, their members evolve, and as a result, their music evolves. No one wants to do the same thing over and over again regardless of its success - there's no fun in that. Change is a part of everything, DT's music included. Have an open mind when listening to the new record. Don't pre-judge it based on what I or anyone else types here. Give it a chance, be open-minded. DT couldn't have stayed in the mode they were 10+ years ago or they'd have crashed and burned long ago - while success is a good thing, I think we'd all be more disappointed if their last five albums were all rehashes of I&W. A great album, yes, but not great when done over... and over... and over... you get the idea.

-Roger
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:11 PM

I'll agree there, I wasn't trying to disuade ANYONE from getting their own copy, but more or less just a personal rant that points out my views.
I don't think DT has "IT" anymore and that is MY personal opinion, nothing more.

Bamm
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Last year's Fates Warning album was better. DT does nothing for me anymore.

The first track on this new one sounds like JP wants to be in a metalcore band, and their singer needs to have his effects taken away, IMO.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM

Toshiro, you talking about "X" from FW?
I have it, there are some great moments on that album, indeed.
Anyway, thats kind of off topic, but I'm just that kind of person to go and bend the rules a bit...

Bamm
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Yup, FWX.

I do miss the Iron-Maidenish stuff they did when Frank Aresti was in the band though. Inside Out was so great.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 AM
kbh

i see some of you may have "downloaded" it, i did too a while ago, but the release was just a re-labeled release of labrie's solo album (check sound clips from amazon.com of his solo album to see if you have it too) which was okay, but seemed alot like fates warning. having heard the radio edits from various sites will give you a better view of the album, besides - it comes out this upcoming tuesday so go out and buy it!

i liked the fates warning album FWX, but i dont think anything they could do could amount to their Pleasant Shade of Gray album, i rock to that album all the time!
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:50 PM

I agree with KBH: the same thing happened to me. Most of you who claim to have the album should check the track times listed at the link in the first post in this thread and then remove your posts if they don't match.

-Devin
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Oh, I heard the right album, I'm 100% sure.

Tags
frank gambale , guitar players , jordan rudess , mike portnoy , pink floyd , scott henderson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode