The Eagles! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

The Eagles!

Saw "The History of the Eagles" tour last night in OK City with my daughter. Fantastic! They sounded great and put on a great show... start to finish. They pretty much did what they named the tour, starting out with Henley and Frey on a couple acoustics and went through their entire career in 3+ hours. Even had their original lead guitar player in the mix... plus a few other guys in the background on misc keyboards and percussion and such. I think I counted 9 guys on stage at one point.

Two words - Vocal Magic! The harmonies were jaw dropping amazing to hear live. Literally made me cry. They still have it! Everything sounded great except the bass, that was the only thing that just didn't sound right. It was like they had a low pass filter set at 40hz and fed only subs or something... there was a thump or rumble but the tone was just missing. Really noticeable on sings like "One of These Nights" where the bass carries parts of the song. I wanted so bad to go down to the sound guy and tell him something wasn't right... but he was down in the middle of the floor and my ticket didn't cost enough to get down there... lol. I doubt they would have listened to some nobody Eagles fan anyway.

Joe Walsh is the man... brought the house down more than once. Everyone loves Joe... lol. I don't know how many guitars he played... some LP's, some Strats, an SG, an Explorer, a PRS, a couple of EBMM's (one of which was pink sparkle Axis). Interesting double cutaway Les Paul with one overall tone and a coil tap switch in place of the removed tone pot. They all sounded pretty good, except the PRS was kind of dull and dark sounding. Glen Frey played a lot of different ones too... but the one that stands out was a black double neck EBMM. Not an Ibby in the show!

Well worth the trip... highly recommended... but we didn't pull back in to the driveway until like 4:30 this morning and my wagon's a draggin'... as they say out west. I need to tell my daughter to pick concerts that are at least in the same state!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Re: The Eagles!

They were the biggest pop influence on me in high school and Hotel California guitar solo taught me a lot about still being cool but ultimately backing the song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfhf1Gv4Tw

Henley, Frey, Leadon, Meisner, Walsh, Felder, Schmit, and additionally Souther and Furay. All of these guys made a huge impact on music and probably married rock and country one step further than the Byrds. To me they all seemed to relaxed and one happy family but little did I know it was Henley versus everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEet3RwQnaY

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858627835/

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-21-2015 at 11:58 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
They were the biggest pop influence on me in high school and Hotel California guitar solo taught me a lot about still being cool but ultimately backing the song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfhf1Gv4Tw

Henley, Frey, Leadon, Meisner, Walsh, Felder, Schmit, and additionally Souther and Furay. All of these guys made a huge impact on music and probably married rock and country one step further than the Byrds. To me they all seemed to relaxed and one happy family but little did I know it was Henley versus everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEet3RwQnaY

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858627835/
Yeah, they were a huge influence on me as well. My earliest memories of music are Eagles songs, among others. I can't tell you how many of the The Eagles' songs my dad's band played back then... Take it Easy, Hotel Cali, One of these Nights, Already Gone, Lyin' Eyes, and many more. I remember them practicing them over and over to get it right. A lot of their songs seem very simple, but are more complex when you start to learn them... at least to me it seems that way. They were songwriting masters.

Funny you posted a link to Hotel Cali... They had left the stage, but we knew they would be back out for an encore, as they hadn't played Hotel Cali, Take it Easy, or Desparado yet. Sure enough they came back out and went right in to Hotel Cali... and near the end of that song is when the gravity of the whole concert really hit me. Watching Walsh and Frey play the harmonized lead near the end is when it sunk in... THIS IS IT!

And Joe freakin Walsh... One of my favorite guys. Everything he did was just magical.

Last edited by FireEagle; 05-22-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typos
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 4

Great band. Helped inspire me to play guitar, tbh!!

Tags
eagles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode