Ear Training/Improvising Melodies help - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Ear Training/Improvising Melodies help

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread focusing on ear training techniques and how to improvise melodies. I'm hoping some of you could share some of your practice techniques.

What are some good practice ideas for learning how to come up with a melody in your head and putting it directly onto the guitar, accurate note-for-note? I've been trying to practice humming different intervals and connecting them together to make melodies, but is there a better way to practice it?

Also I'm planning on going to Musicians Institute next Fall, although I'm a little worried about where my ability on guitar, music reading, and ear training should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM

Re: Ear Training/Improvising Melodies help

as far just making stuff up . I just sit down with my guitar and play around till i find a little groove pattern somthing that is easier to follow . Then i'll add a progression up to a higher note then the next time i play the beggining groove i'll add a lower part . Sort of like steve vai's Kim-pee-du-wi .

If not that way i'll find two cords i like and then add in some little fill scale type runs inbetween . Racer-x's addidcted to that rush is a good example of what i try to do with this approch .

If i am trying to focus more on cords , I'll again find a nice cord alternate pick it and then find another cord in the same key .

I dont worrie much about keys or what notes fit as much as how it sounds , I'll find a scale or mode that fits the progression's key and go from there . I am newer to the hole theory thing though , so i am sure that more advanced players can offer better solutions to ear theory training .

As far as expansion on creating a solo that has melody , i advise you to listen to a lot of different players . All sort of have thier own individual approach to how a solo's melody should come out .

My favorite players to listen to solo are
steve vai
joe satriani
greg howe
paul gilbert
there are plenty of other players out there but those are a few of my favorite

And as far as just doing crazy stuff on guitar
steve vai
Micheal angelo balto
and Bob zubec (i just found out about him and i like his style a lot ) here are some of his clips .

http://www.youtube.com/w/Bob-Zabek--...ch=bob%20zabek

Racer-x 's addidected to that rush

http://www.youtube.com/w/Paul-Gilber...paul%20gilbert
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 AM

sing all of your modes/scales in all keys as you play them. you'll really hear the unique quality of each scale. this way, when you hear something in your head, you'll start to recognize what mode it is your thinking of. sing triads and anything else you can think of.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 AM

I really think that everybody's input is invaluble.

Tags
joe satriani , paul gilbert , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode