Eddie Rules..... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Eddie Rules.....

I was just on the sweetwater forum and replied to a thread about influences and since this is my favorite forum by far I thought I would share my thoughts on this issue. Yes, I believe that Eddie Van Halen has gone off the deep end but thinking about it seriously, this is the guy who inspired me to go get a guitar and go for it almost 30 years ago!!!!!! I'm 44 now and Eddie is the guy who created the "spark". Aside from Chuck Berry, this guy changed my life forever. If I had never heard eruption or running with the devil I might not have ever picked up a guitar. WOW...................... Yes, my tastes have changed over the years and yes Eddie has gotten freaky and wacked out but man, it does not change the fact that this is the noise that changed my life. If we all take a minute and think about that one person who set us on the path to being guitar players and how much that changed us....How many people have you influenced by being a musician? Some of the guys on this forum are genuine celebrities and how are they reaching out. I guess what I'm saying is yes, our hero's may all be f^&#ed up but they still changed the world.......just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Re: Eddie Rules.....

Well said. I remember the first time hearing Van Halen 1, I couldn't stop playing it. There really would never have been any Vai's or Satriani's if it hadn't have been for Eddie.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 AM

I would like to add a few things to this discussion.

EVH is deffinatly one of the best guitar players that I'm aware of, but more than this I like his 'thinking'. I watch the Fender NAMM video where Edward talks about his guitars, and although he has strayed from this path in his life time, he says something that I think people should keep in the back of their minds a little more.

Keep it simple.

Trying to rember this in day to day life is something that I think people could do with rembering. Some of the best things, the things that work the best, are the ones that are simple.

I also believe that 'Amsterdam' from the album Balance is the best song in the world.

Chris
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Reviews: 21

There is regular tribute paid to Ed here.
And there's always a VH album in my CD wallet or mp3 player!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM

I think almost everyone in this forum should respect Eddie, no matter how crazy he sounds nowadays.

I have heard that he was the one to basically save almost the entire guitar industry. In the 70's, disco (cough, puke, cough) was killing every instrument that wasn't electronic. Then Van Halen appeared. Hearing Eruption prompted millions to pick up the guitar again, resulting in a huge increase in guitar equipment sales and saving many guitar companies from bankrupcy.

If you think about, the 80's they were the prime time for high quality shred guitars. There were tons of American and Japanese produced axes available. A majority of these companies can probably credit EVH with buying them a few more years of business.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Eddie Rules.....

Edd is awesome, but the thing that struck me funny was what a major ego maniacal, clueless, ass face dave was, and to now find out they were perfectly matched like a AAA flame top. No wonder they had so many good albums together...The only sane one in VH was Sammy.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Rip

Appreciate the music the man made/makes.

He truly was the one who got me to the next level of wanting to play the guitar, and for that ... i owe.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post

He truly was the one who got me to the next level of wanting to play the guitar, and for that ... i owe.
After what you have invested, I think you're paid off

(great pic!)
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post

that is an odd number of evh guitars so you should give me one so you have an even number....
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM

EVH is the King.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
that is an odd number of evh guitars so you should give me one so you have an even number....
which one do you want?
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post
I think almost everyone in this forum should respect Eddie, no matter how crazy he sounds nowadays.

I have heard that he was the one to basically save almost the entire guitar industry. In the 70's, disco (cough, puke, cough) was killing every instrument that wasn't electronic. Then Van Halen appeared. Hearing Eruption prompted millions to pick up the guitar again, resulting in a huge increase in guitar equipment sales and saving many guitar companies from bankrupcy.

If you think about, the 80's they were the prime time for high quality shred guitars. There were tons of American and Japanese produced axes available. A majority of these companies can probably credit EVH with buying them a few more years of business.
Guitar was doing fine in the 70's. It's all a matter of taste, I would prefer if EVH had never picked up a guitar because I don't listen to any guitarists post 1980, he killed guitar for me in the same way kurt cobain killed it for you.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mark View Post

I think most musicians respect what EVH had accomplished as far as taking guitar playing in a new direction. He has definitely made his contribution and mark in rock history.

But as far as the rest of your statement..... him "saving" the guitar industry, don't believe everything you hear! That's a good one along with this..... "Disco was killing every insturment that wasn't electronic"!

Where did you get those ideas? Were you even alive in the "70's"? What's your source of information? VH-1 "I love the 70's" or something? Jeez....
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM

Reviews: 21

My guess is disco would have died regardless. $hit gets old eventually, no matter what it is! Prog rock, corporate rock, metal, grunge, techno, emo, next wave... eventually it all gets tired. Thank GOD the Internet arrived!
If you listen closely, Ed and VH transcended most of the music around at the time. LOTS of imitators popped up!
I said it before and I'll say it again: Chuck Berry, Hendrix, and EVH are IMO the three most influential rock guitarists ever. The way things are now, I doubt you'll see another Ed!
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
I think most musicians respect what EVH had accomplished as far as taking guitar playing in a new direction. He has definitely made his contribution and mark in rock history.

But as far as the rest of your statement..... him "saving" the guitar industry, don't believe everything you hear! That's a good one along with this..... "Disco was killing every insturment that wasn't electronic"!

Where did you get those ideas? Were you even alive in the "70's"? What's your source of information? VH-1 "I love the 70's" or something? Jeez....
Aw, c'mon. Give me a break! Please lose the condescending tone. It does absolutely nothing to keep open dialogues and debates going without everything resorting to gradeschool namecalling and flaming. I think there was even a recent Jemsite poll that addressed this very issue. You're welcome to your opinion. Please just state it with some tact and class. Otherwise you lose a lot of credibility with the person you are debating with (and other observers of the debate).

FYI, I don't even have access to, nor do I want VH-1. The only TV I watch is Family Guy and The Simpsons. And yes, I was alive for the 70's (half of the seventies to be exact). You probably weren't alive in the 30's, but that doesn't mean you don't know anything about that decade.

If you are so learned in the ways of the world, am I wrong in saying the huge popularity of disco was harming guitar sales? You can probably liken its effect to the same effect grunge had on the 80's metal scene. Of course, it is cyclic. However, how many guitar companies can live through the low part of a cycle? What if that low cycle lasted another 5 years.

Van Halen was indeed a boost for guitar sales. Noone can argue that point. Maybe I did go too far in saying he 'saved' the guitar industry, but I think I am going in the right direction.

Now if you can legitmately correct me please do so, and I will stand corrected and store that information in my mental rolodex for future use. However, please have a solid foundation to stand on before you do (your age does NOT count as a solid foundation).

Last edited by Canadian Mark; 01-16-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Tags
eddie van halen , electric guitar , eric clapton , evh guitars , floyd rose , frank zappa , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , jeff beck , jimi hendrix , kurt cobain , music store , pink floyd , prog rock , shred guitars , steve howe , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode