Eric Johnson in St. Louis Tonight!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Eric Johnson in St. Louis Tonight!!

EJ is playing a great little venue tonight and I'm on my way there as soon as this gets sent. I'll post a review tomorrow, time allowing. This will be the third time I've seen him live. First time was at G3, then on Venus Isle tour. His sense of harmony and his knowledge of chords is just staggering, truly inspirational to me. At any rate, it should be great once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 05:49 PM
EKG

I saw him once at a really small place in Ontario, CA. MUCH better live than on cd. He did the most amazing extended into to CLIFFS OF DOVER!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

OK, I got there early and was directly below him...my neck is sore from looking up all night. In retrospect, I should have moved back off the stage a little for better sound...it was rough where I was. I could here his amps better than anything else which wasn't all bad.

Chrish Marsh is playing bass for him and he was really on fire, the low end made my pants legs shake. EJ talked more to the audience than I ever remember him doing, he seemed really comfortable and appeared to enjoy himself.

Predictably he played the 54 strat almost exclusively, he pulled out an SG for one tune, and his blue strat for another (a 58 I think...not sure). He also did two acoustic numbers that were just jaw dropping.

Playing wise I think he was off last night...he seemed to rush things a lot and he improvised a ton and much of it was so intervalic that the melody was completely abandoned. Amazingly, he always landed back on his feet which is expected for someone at his level. He did three encore sets finally finishing with Friends from the Tones record and that was the best tune of the night...he absolutely nailed it and the mix of tones was staggering. I think it took him that long to get warmed up.

He also did the long intro into Cliffs of Dover that was really great, lots of clean chords that just shifted all over the place then he morphed it into a great lead tone and just let it float before tearing into the tune.

For those who haven't seen him, this is a must.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode