ever find yourself listening to the classical station? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

ever find yourself listening to the classical station?

whenever i'm in a car with no CDs or tapes of mine if i flick through the radio stations i always end up listening to the classical station,
people think i'm weird, i don't care, it just seems more interesting

anyone else do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 PM

Pipe Dreams is my favorite show. It's on NPR at around 1pm or so on Sunday afternoons. It's all pipe organ music. I love the show. I also like the bluegrass stuff on Saturday nights.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 12:19 AM

Yep,

I own a music store..... by the end of the day, I'm tired of hearing the chain saw, train wreck , cat rape junk we play most of the day that our 13-18 yr old request.

I put Satch, Queen, SRV, Danny Gatton , or Miles Davis ..etc..etc on whenever can ..... but the customers say "whats this sh*t"??

"Where's the Good Charlotte dude??"

I'm only 24 , but maybe I'm old.... I think this new metal is garbage ..... I hated Metallica when they were popular ... now, of all the New Releases on my wall .....St. Anger is my favorite album.... and old Metallica fans hate them now.

But yes Third Eye..... I do the exact same thing in the car.
I'm glad someone else likes real music too.

But when my choices of new stuff is Evanesence (yuck), System of a Down, Dashboard Confessional, and a whole other slew of other "alternative" crap bands on Victory label....... A bad recorded Metallica sounds pretty good.

The funniest part of the sad MTV movie awards tonight is after Good Charlotte played, Chris Rock said "Good Charlotte"??, sounds more like a mediocre Green Day"..... I couldn't agree more.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:51 AM

Uh-uh. I will when I'm sick to my stomach and the stuff I normally listen to makes me feel worse. There's nothing worse than hard rock when you feel like you might hurl.

I know what you're saying about being old, though. It gets that much worse when you're 34! This new stuff is for the birds (especially when you're ready to blow chunks). Give me the hair-band 80s!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 04:11 AM
dex

Yeah - classic FM - 92.00FM in my area.
Then again I've got more CD's with Classical music on them than all my Vai and Satch CD's combined........and I have them all.

ilia
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:27 AM

Yes.

Although some of the stations in my area spend a little too much time playing the most obscure stuff that they can find, I'm still frequently delighted by the sound of some of the Ludwig Van... or Wolfie Amadeus.

I still have to give thanks to my grandfather who (when I was five) would play Bach for me, stop the tape, and then have me sing the melody back to him. Early ear training!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

well i'm probably not what you guys would call old (almost 18 )
and i LOVE system of a down! (for the singing)
but i just love that classical station when driving of course my only other choices are usually rap, dance, punk or nu metal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:11 AM

Reviews: 1
About 90% of the time when I'm in the car with my son, I put on the Classical station, I want him to grow up with something that will open his mind up immediately, then he can decide what he likes later on.
I find that I am MUCH less prone to road rage while driving too, which is a plus for me, as traffic in Chicago is as bad as anywhere, and there are some STUPID people that are given licenses.

Bamm
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
About 90% of the time when I'm in the car with my son, I put on the Classical station, I want him to grow up with something that will open his mind up immediately, then he can decide what he likes later on.
This is a great idea. It'll be good for me to listen to, and I don't really like my son listening to "my" music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
I find that I am MUCH less prone to road rage while driving too, which is a plus for me, as traffic in Chicago is as bad as anywhere, and there are some STUPID people that are given licenses.
I never considered this benefit, but I'm sure it's true. It's so much more relaxing than Ozzy/Randy Tribute! Classical music is like brain food to boot.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 08:08 PM

yes...the stations on airplanes are pretty bad so it's either oldies or classical....classical indeed.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 AM

Of course, classical is great to listening...great for analyzing, great for you IQ
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:49 AM

I listen to classical sooo much. All da time, mangos!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7
yes...the stations on airplanes are pretty bad so it's either oldies or classical....classical indeed.
It's usually jazz, or the arabic/hindi stations for me...i might tackle classical though....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:03 AM

I listen to WBJC classical public radio everyday duing my commute home from work. The announcer during this time slot is Judith Krummeck, a native of South Africa. She has the most soothing voice of any radio or TV personality I've ever heard. It's heavy on the South African / British accent, very subdued and emotionless, but at the same time very erotic in the way she inhales and exhales during speaking. She projects from the diaphragm, much like a vocalist, instead of the throat or nose like most speakers.

Her voice soothes and relaxes me more than the classical music she plays.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 06:52 AM

Well, I do indeed listen to classical radio stations (can quite happily flick from Zappa to Rachmaninov to Dream Theater to Mahler to Vai to Shostakovitch to...). I also get rather alot of classical music at my job though (Im a violinist by profession!!)
Unfortunately Classic FM plays the same popular classics over and over again and it gets boring hearing Lark Ascending, Bruch Violin Concerto (only 1st or 3rd movements, mind) or Mozarts Piano Concerto no.21 every half hour.
OK, maybe that's a little harsh but in my experience of the station within half an hour of turning it on you can guarantee at least 1 'popular classic'.
Not that popular classics are a bad thing per se but you get sick of them when they are played at you every day.
If you listen to a classical station whilst driving, just turn over if they play any Steve Reich music that involves his phasing techniques - it'll either hypnotise you or relax you far too much to drive!!

Tags
danny gatton , miles davis , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode