The Extreme Guitarshop Sweep Picking Lick [YouTube] - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Dee

Re: The Extreme Guitarshop Sweep Picking Lick [YouTube]

Al makes perfect sense. I have no idea why those who say technicality means a lack of emotion. To me, that's stupid. I have heard people say it about Lane, who was arguably one of the most technically advanced player who ever lived. On the other hand, Lane is the only guitar player (apart from me) who has ever brought tears to my girlfriend's eyes! Go figure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Agree 100% on that one.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: The Extreme Guitarshop Sweep Picking Lick [YouTube]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I don't think he was going for emotion at all, though. Not all of us want to sit there crying all the time dude. Besides, the better your technique, the better you can express emotion. Bad technique = zero emotion = sterile licks. Works both ways.
I beg to differ Dee! I agree that Technical proficiency is a must, heck I'm an adept technician myself and I love players who posses both Technique and feelingl. I just made a statement about what that guy played and it was technically intricate but it sounded like sweeping exercises to me.
Now technique can be perilous! many fall under its spell and become technical players but have little feeling and contour to their playing (Michael Angelo Batio comes to mind although some stuff is good IMO) so in my eyes
technique has to be viewed with balance (although I agree with the notion that having great chops will allow you to play anything your mind can conjure up.) having said that, you are wrong to assume that bad technique equals zero emotion. There have been many players Like Hendrix, Page, Clapton etc... that did not have the cleanest and best technique, yet they made history and wrote great songs and their contributions to music as we know it are undeniable.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Olie, I think you should maybe spend more time practicing if you plan on being critical of others.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Dee

Yeah, I would be the first to say Hendrix didn't have the cleanest technique compared to the usual shred guitarist who spends most of his/her time practising, but he did have his own techniques nailed down hard enough to be able to express himself perfectly.

I think this is going too far out of context, though. The title of the thread is "The Extreme Guitarshop Sweep Picking Lick". Let's just take it for what it is! I gave credit because the sweeps he's doing are very clean and rapid. That is very hard to do, and he did it flawlessly. I don't think the aim was to make anyone weep! I know what Bosch is into, he's a big Shawn Lane fan, and as someone who understands how Lane combined both blinding technique and pure emotion, I wouldn't doubt that he understands "feeling" or "emotion" when he hears it. Saying this video lacks emotion of is "sterile" would be taking it completely out of context.

Quote:
you are wrong to assume that bad technique equals zero emotion
I'm not wrong! You need to have your own techniques down well enough to be able to express yourself, but what is "bad technique" anyway, come to think of it? If your technique is good enough to get the message across, it shouldn't be considered bad technique. We are all individuals. Music = art = expression. If we are to generalize, though, you do need the basics nailed. Otherwise, people will just laugh at you! Hehe. What I'm saying is, if you only know ten words, you can't say very much to anyone. You need to know enough words to be able to communicate with others, because after all, music is a language.

Last edited by Dee; 05-25-2007 at 06:09 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, I would be the first to say Hendrix didn't have the cleanest technique compared to the usual shred guitarist who spends most of his/her time practising, but he did have his own techniques nailed down hard enough to be able to express himself perfectly.

I think this is going too far out of context, though. The title of the thread is "The Extreme Guitarshop Sweep Picking Lick". Let's just take it for what it is! I gave credit because the sweeps he's doing are very clean and rapid. That is very hard to do, and he did it flawlessly. I don't think the aim was to make anyone weep! I know what Bosch is into, he's a big Shawn Lane fan, and as someone who understands how Lane combined both blinding technique and pure emotion, I wouldn't doubt that he understands "feeling" or "emotion" when he hears it. Saying this video lacks emotion of is "sterile" would be taking it completely out of context.

I'm not wrong! You need to have your own techniques down well enough to be able to express yourself, but what is "bad technique" anyway, come to think of it? If your technique is good enough to get the message across, it shouldn't be considered bad technique. We are all individuals. Music = art = expression. If we are to generalize, though, you do need the basics nailed. Otherwise, people will just laugh at you! Hehe. What I'm saying is, if you only know ten words, you can't say very much to anyone. You need to know enough words to be able to communicate with others, because after all, music is a language.
I think you were able to get your point across more effectively with this post, specially, with this remark:
"but what is "bad technique" anyway, come to think of it? If your technique is good enough to get the message across, it shouldn't be considered bad technique. We are all individuals. Music = art = expression."
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Olie, I think you should maybe spend more time practicing if you plan on being critical of others.
To express an opinion does not equal being critical in a negative way and if you had read my post you would have noticed that the first thing I pointed out was that his technique was excellent! what really puzzles me is this: what is it to you anyway? and what do my practice habits have to do with this? granted I definitely need to put more serious time on the instrument but that is true of everyone who want to attain well honed chops.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:38 AM

awesome...just awesome
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJ View Post
awesome...just awesome
+1! I wish I can sweep like that.

Tags
angelo batio , guitarshop sweep picking lick , michael angelo batio , shawn lane , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode