FAO Fast alternate pickers - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

FAO Fast alternate pickers

Hi,

I've recently been trying to improve my speed when alternate picking as I feel that speed is where Im lagging with my playing. I have always alternate picked and I have no problems with doing it, the problem is getting some decent kind of speed up.

Two weeks ago I decided to religiously stick to a picking routine with my metronome and I decided to start with various sextuplet exercises with the metronome set at 60bpm so it was slow enough to feel if there was any muscle tension and make my movements as minimal as possible.
I work shifts and I have been doing a minimum of 1 hour a day on constant picking exercises such as scales,fragments and single string exercises mostly based on petrucci and gilbert exercises.
A lot of the exercises I'm doing im repeating for a minute and moving straight to the next with no rest.
On week 1 I stayed at 60bpm, week 2 I moved to 65bpm and today (week 3) I moved to 70bpm.
Today I felt that I couldnt keep the exercises constant and had to keep shaking the tension out my forearm,(I was hoping a week at 65bpm would set me up for 70bpm with no issues)
I could do it but I fatigued before a minute for most of the exercises.

My routine used to consist of upping the bpm slightly every few minutes and playing in short bursts (sextuplets upto about 90bpm but not continuous) but Im now trying to stay at a certain speed for a week as explained.

Do you think its a good idea to stay at 1 speed for 7 days before upping the bpm, Im thinking it will stop me from cranking up the bpm and getting sloppy.

Is it normal to have slight tension in the picking forearm as I feel my forearm gets slightly pumped or should I slow down the bpm again and relax more??

I am now standing doing these exercises as I was getting tension in my picking shoulder which I couldnt shake off unless I rested the guitar on my left leg, I am also unplugged doing these exercises, is that ok?

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to explain it clearly lol
Thanks,Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Re: FAO Fast alternate pickers

Best advice I can give is this, take it slow and stay comfortable.If youtense up and continue playing that way you could hurt yourself.you could try some stretching and loosening exercises prior to practicing so you start out comfortable.
plus as much as a lot of players want to be insanely fast asap, remember you gotta
learn to walk before you can run.so just take your time with it.
Just my $.02
Sean
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM

I prefer to practice an exercise for several minutes, feel comfortable, bump it up 2bpm, get comfy, back it up one, up 2, etc. Once I get bored (after a few bumps) I change to something else. Maybe come back later that session but slower than I finished at. The next day I start over but maybe 1-2bpms faster than I started the day before. Def. don't just play at your top speed from last session, I became really sloppy and had to go way back.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM

Reviews: 10

be very careful man - you are describing the onset of a RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury), which can be serious and lingering and hard to recover from. As per Boombatty's post, make sure you are doing the proper stretching exercies prior and if starts to hurt then stop... simple stretching exercises here: http://www.guitarlessons365.com/esse...or-guitarists/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 AM

I feel ye dude ,.I went through a time when my hand and fingers would go so numb they wouldnt work ,.this was a real nusance for several years then it just went away ,.guess I was lucky ,..

so dont stress too much,. dorians streches are a real good thing , and keep it up ,.
hope it gets better mate
cheers T
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Reviews: 11

Make sure you stretch..... But as far as your method, I've had a lot of personal progress that way, I preach that method as much as I can
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Play 10s and use a pick around 1mm thinck.
I can't shred with 9s very well or floppy picks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys.

I'm still trying to put in as much time to this as I can, thats me into week 4 now and Ive been doing this for a minimum of 1 hour per day, Ive managed 3 hours today so far.
I find that I still need to start at 60bpm and I then up the bpm a couple of clicks every 15 minutes or so till I feel comfortable. However when the bpm reaches 70 to mid 70's my sextuplets are in short bursts and not continuous, I can "sometimes" keep the stamina for a few minutes about 66-68 bpm however I wasnt sure if thats much improvement in 4 weeks or am I expecting to much??
I was kind of hoping to play continuous sextuplets at 66-68 by now without going through the whole 60-62-64 bpm etc

Thanks again
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 AM

keep you right hand as relaxed as possible and work on licks in 5 min sets.
i also find picking close to the bridge helps check the video for a quick demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuJ2O...re=context-cha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 AM

you have a good method...just don't overdo it to the point of injury....have you considered those stubby jazz pics?try them...they provide a short but smooth attack not saying that will build speed but it's less strenous than a lofty and heavier pic for practice...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 6

I would agree with everything here, but add that it may take a long time to increase your speed and also it may come all of a sudden (learning curve/plateau etc). Don't forget that resting is also good as muscles and tendons rebuild. You would run a marathon everyday without hurting yourself!
Also remember that speed isn't everything, yes its great to have a good technique but making music should be the end result and sometimes enough technique to make your musical statement is all the technique you need

Tags
alternate picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode