Fave Tunes To Improv Over - Style's etc... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Fave Tunes To Improv Over - Style's etc...

Do you guys have any?

I don't mean backing tracks or pre-recorded ditties by yourself.

I'm sure we've all found many tracks by famous players that we can play along and improv over, even though they are doing the same thing themselves.

2 questions I suppose.
1. Favourite improv style...ie. straight blues, jazz, rock, metal, soul, classical or a mix of each.

2. Fave improv tune?

Personally I like to improv around rock/blues (with a ikkle jazz), which in my opinion involves fusing pent's with mode's, which is simple, but effective, alway has been and always will, the ear love's it.

This is my complete style down to a tee.

Fave tune to improv over?
Has to be House Full Of Bullets.

I've been spending a LOT of time with it lately, trying to get comfortable with chasing it around to my style, (I'll post mp3 soon)
IMHO it let's me do everything I want, style, timing (it's made for me), rythm etc...
The only prob's I've had are 2nd fret F# Dorian legato (ouch!!! my fingers), come on Joe, just move it up to G and I'll be ok! I can't live Dorian on the 14th much longer. :biggrin:

I suppose I just wanna' know what turns you on and why?
What style and song can you really let yourself go with? i.e. no concentration, just total feel and vibe?

Cheers
Steve

P.S. The rendition on Live In San-Fran hits 50sec's of the improv intro and I get all gooey

(Edited by ripl3y at 6:41 pm on Aug. 17, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 09:48 PM

Fave Tunes To Improv Over

Well, I generally like to improv over any kind of fusion (blues/jazz/rock). *This really forces you (me) to look at what you're doing ahead of time, really pay attention to what scales you are using. *In some cases the major scale's modes simply dont work; in comes the Jazz melodic minor modes....ugh...:loco:

Any Steely Dan will do just fine, as well as Jeff Beck and old Al DiMeola. *Flight Over Rio (Al Di) is a BALL - extremely intense and fast-paced. *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 02:28 PM

1) *My favorite style to improvise over is slow, acoustic, alternative music.

2) *My favorite song to improvise over has got to be "Be Like That" by 3 Doors Down, I just find it easy to solo over. *
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:27 PM

i'm in a really heavy gilbert phase.
i have been inspired by his idea of transcribing pop tunes with rock arrangements (call me copycat if you will, but its fun!)
turn on the radio and play along whatever comes on
by the way..has anybody tried to play mariah carey's 'emotions' *on guitar? you need a whammy`pedal or something..what a voice!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 07:34 PM

I'm always in a heavy gilbert phase
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 03:15 PM

...List too long, not enough webspace...:biggrin:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:23 AM

I like to improvise over tunes that have one basic chord or maybe two chords, that way I am playing ideas as opposed to dealing with a lot of music theory

Frank Zappa and Miles Davis felt the same way apparently
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:09 AM

Quote:
i have been inspired by his idea of transcribing pop tunes with rock arrangements (call me copycat if you will, but its fun!)
turn on the radio and play along whatever comes on
hehehe, there's a band doing the rounds around london called ten masked men who do a mean cover of that "my lonliness is killing me" pap by britney spears, that sweet dark chocolate song and madonna/michael jackson etc. They play death metal. It's interesting (and dead funny).

As for favorite tracks to play along with, I'd have to say that I go through fazes of playing over hypocrisy/arch enemy/in flames/cinderella/dream theater/maiden/queensryche/paradise lost/anything else i go through an obsession with...guess the faves are:
arch enemy-entire stigmata album
hypocrisy-apocalypse,the abyss,roswell47,etc etc etc
queensryche-the empire album.
...basically too many to choose from...
oh, and slayer if i feel like playing random chromatic crap (I just love it!)

Mostly just improvise over it, metally/bluesy(slightly) type leads. Just follow the feel of the song...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Quote: from ripl3y on 1:36 pm on Aug. 17, 2001

P.S. The rendition on Live In San-Fran hits 50sec's of the improv intro and I get all gooey

Oh yeah! We're back and in a bluesy mood!!!

In fact a lot of the new album is just perfect. When I grow up I want to be Joe

Personally... I think it's time for a little raspberry jam for everybody!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 08:37 AM

heheh its funny, at G3 in toronto, the moment joe satch said "its a song called "Rasberry Jam Delta-V" I screamed "RASBERRY JAM!! YEAH!" when everyone was quiet and the song was just about to start... like the idiot i am lol (anybody at toronto on july 11 remembers that? yes, it was me :lame

when it comes to serious composing, any style from metal to jazz to can appear, but when it comes to jamming, there's nothing like a jazzy sort of bluesy groove (jazz-rock fusion-y stuff) with interesting chord changes (or hell, even one chord to play over). i find that kinda music great because you have to know how to put all those notes you know into an interesting rhythm and order over the chord changes. with blues or straight rock, people simply use too many cliched licks when they're improvising, but anything with a little twist of jazz can really screw with your soloing (in a good way, of course). i just figured this out recently and its something i'm sticking to when it comes time for me to play.

-Pryde
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 02:40 PM

I too like to improvise over one and two chord vamps a la Zappa/Miles etc There are so many Zappa tunes that are made for jamming over.

What I'm trying to work on is more challenging rhythmical stuff a la Dream Theatre, but I have hit a brick wall 'cause I don't haave the technique-I just can't play fast, with any precision. This is where Petrucci has been a revelation to me. A real inspiration.
Since coming here to Jemsite I went back and listened to 'Under A Glass Moon' again. Wow! So inventive and still sounds fresh.

Guy

Tags
backing track , death metal , frank zappa , jeff beck , miles davis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode