Favourite Alternative tunings? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Favourite Alternative tunings?

Everyone, share your most Favourite alternate tunings, and maybe how you use it

this does not encompass Drop tuning or detuning, i´m talking more radical stuff

my favourite is for the 6 string, i got the inspiration for it while playing some 8 string instrument, can´t recall what it was, i think it was romanian... it was basically a double drop tuning, with octave up-strings, like a mandolin...
i reworked the basic idea and made something similar for a 6 string:

CGCGCC ( thick to thin from left to right)

the first three strings are the same as in drop C tuning, but the fourth string is tuned up to G, and the two brightest strings are tuned to the same notes, for a drone-ish sound...

hope you understand that? :P (i suck at making sense)

Also, for 7 string, just tune the lowest string to G, so it´s: GCGCGCC

it´s really harmonic and rich, and sounds very nice, try it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Re: Favourite Alternative tunings?

I used to have Open-D on my classical. I would clamp a finger down on the second and fifth strings (I think) and just ride it all the way down the fretboard. It created this loving droning sound that reminded me of a sitar without the buzz. Very lovely.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

that´s kinda the idea of the tuning i mentioned too it drones and resonates nicely... i have my acoustic tuned like that at the moment (CGCGCC)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM

I've been thinking a lot about alternative tunings, but I always end up resorting to standard again. All the alternative tunings I've gone through lack the ability to express more normal emotions in chords (i.e the happy major, the sad minor, etc).
That being said, I've played with the ideas of having an 8-string tuned E-A-E-A-E-A-E-A (suboctave E, high A) and a six-string in fifths, tuned to F-C-G-D-A-E (low F, normal high E), as well as a sevenstring hybrid tuning in G-C-G-C-F-A-D.
BTW - how's that Blaze Custom working out for you?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM

C2 - G2 - D3 - A3 - E4 - G4
is very logical and very nice and Gootar's chord generator suports is http://www.gootar.com/folder/guitar.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM

i use to use heavy strings and tuned down a halfstep on all strings on my fender, and i've always wanted to try the 3 string aaa tuning lol(also heard it in eee i think)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

i don´t actually have the blaze custom yet, and not the guitar either, shipping is SLOW as hell... it should have been here by now...

@Roland: try out the 7 string tuning i made out of my 6 string one: GCGCGCC and report back what you think! :P

@_FR0D0 what are the numbers you put next to the notes? like the 2 and 3 and 4s? are they octave indicators? if so, that enlightens me quite a bit :P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:14 AM

Nothing adventurous here I’m afraid. I have all but one down a half step, and one in dropped D.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
@_FR0D0 what are the numbers you put next to the notes? like the 2 and 3 and 4s? are they octave indicators? if so, that enlightens me quite a bit :P
yes the are, the standar guitar tunnig is E2 - A2 - D3 - G3 - B4 - E4

If you analize the tunning I posted the relationship between the sitring are fifths and not fourths like the regular tuning, with the exception of the first and second string that are a minor third apart.

This tunning has been used by Robert Fripp and the players at Guitar Craft. Fripp claims to have created it, but there are others that says that it was not.

Last edited by _FR0D0; 03-10-2007 at 03:48 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

hmm... insteresting, now i know how to write down the octave stuff too :P

so my thingy is: (G1) C2 G2 C3 G3 C4 C4 i think?

anyways, i wish i had a guitar without a floating trem here to test some of these :P

Maybe fripp invented it in the sense that he hasn´t learned it from anywhere, even if he´s not the first to do it?

like the cgcgcc tuning i ´´made´´ probably isn´t very original, and i did get the inspiration from an 8 string thingy (4 doubled strings, octave up) which was double drop, like DADA (just an example, not actual tuning, i think)... and then i added outwards from that, and tuning low enough to avoid snapping strings... and even if i did make it myself, others have probably made it too :P
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 02:14 PM

If I'm going to go into that area, MF_Kitten, I'll try out GCGCGCE.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , robert fripp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode